Multiwinia controls reversed

General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Do you keep hitting the Q instead of the E, or the other way around?

No, I don't. I adapted right away!
71%
No, I don't. But then, I hardly ever played Darwinia.
13%
Yes, I do. I wish they would be identical to Darwinia.
16%

Total votes: 31
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:46 pm

I have a G9 mouse, and i have configured it so that the extra buttons replace tb,c,space and alt-X. I only use the keyboard for movement and the occasional screenie.
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:25 am

The GoldFish wrote:
TomCat39 wrote:So once again, I fixed it in multiwinia too so that E was up being prior to version 1.2 E was once again down. I don't know about 1.2 defaults off hand being I've been running a custom input_preferences.txt file for quite some time.

I think the steam version 1.2.0 also has E as down by default but don't quote me on that.

I only have the retail normally version of the game, and the input pref files suggest that no such chain has occured, unless I have failed in my file organising...

Yeah I bought steam version of Darwinia and it had Q as up and it drove me bonkers, so within 30 minutes of play, I reversed the keys. I'm pretty sure it was the 1.4.2 version unless that patch just came out. I don't remember, I've had Darwinia for about 2 weeks I think. And just bought Multiwinia just before this last weekend and it updated to 1.2.0 the very next day. I was not too happy about not being able to change the keys like I did in Darwinia so I searched the forums and found the answer. Either way. Both games had Q as up instead of E originally.

Here is direct from main.dat of Multiwinia Steam 1.2.0:

Code: Select all

CameraLeft                        = key a pressed
CameraLeft                    = key left pressed
CameraRight                       = key d pressed
CameraRight                    = key right pressed
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
CameraUp                          = key q pressed
CameraDown                        = key e pressed
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
CameraForwards                    = key w pressed
CameraForwards                  = key up pressed
CameraBackwards                   = key s pressed
CameraBackwards                 = key down pressed
CameraZoom                        = key z pressed
CameraDeZoom                      = key c pressed

Then directly from main.dat of Darwinia Steam version last updated December 14, 2007 (I'm guessing it's the 1.4.2 update):

Code: Select all

CameraLeft                        = key a pressed
CameraRight                       = key d pressed
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
CameraUp                          = key q pressed
CameraDown                        = key e pressed
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
CameraForwards                    = key w pressed
CameraBackwards                   = key s pressed
CameraZoom                        = key z pressed
CameraDeZoom                      = key c pressed

Anyways, as you can see the defaults is for Q to be down in both Multiwinia and Darwinia on the steam versions. I personally like those keys reversed. So voted yes I always hit them reverse and wish they were reversed. And thankfuly to all the kewl people here... they are. :D
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:06 am

Well... I'm not sure what you're saying here. I think you're a little confused as to what the latest version on steam is, because that'll be 1.5.10-steam, which as pointed out by people in this thread, has Q up/E down like all versions of Multiwinia. The defaults are now Q up and E down, not Q down E up as you suggest in your last couple of lines, and only Darwinia originally had Q down and E up in 1.4.2 and beforehand, as pointed out in my screenshot; you seem to have everything completely mixed up? Any idea where you've got the wrong end of a stick?

But yeah, to reiterate; in 1.42 retail and previous versions of Darwinia, E was up and Q was down (latest version for mac and linux platforms). In 1.5.X Darwinia, and all versions of multiwinia, Q is up and E is down. That's why I posted that screenshot of how it used to be E and Q, rather than Q and E - it's quite apparent that up and down have been switched at some stage in Darwinia's past. But Multiwinia has always had Q as up and E as down.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:05 am

The GoldFish wrote:Well... I'm not sure what you're saying here. I think you're a little confused as to what the latest version on steam is, because that'll be 1.5.10-steam, which as pointed out by people in this thread, has Q up/E down like all versions of Multiwinia. The defaults are now Q up and E down, not Q down E up as you suggest in your last couple of lines, and only Darwinia originally had Q down and E up in 1.4.2 and beforehand, as pointed out in my screenshot; you seem to have everything completely mixed up? Any idea where you've got the wrong end of a stick?

But yeah, to reiterate; in 1.42 retail and previous versions of Darwinia, E was up and Q was down (latest version for mac and linux platforms). In 1.5.X Darwinia, and all versions of multiwinia, Q is up and E is down. That's why I posted that screenshot of how it used to be E and Q, rather than Q and E - it's quite apparent that up and down have been switched at some stage in Darwinia's past. But Multiwinia has always had Q as up and E as down.

Er wooops yeah, sorry got dyslexic with the up down.

I meant default is for Q to be up and I like the reverse.

All I really was trying to point out is that the Steam versions of both Darwinia and Multiwinia have the Q-UP E-DOWN as default unlike what the poll and OP was indicating.

My bad.

Oh and lastly, I didn't know that there was any patches past Darwinia 1.4.2. Steam doesn't show the version numbers only dates. Only reason I know multiwinia is 1.2.0 is it's in the bottom corner of it when I start it. So I assumed Darwinia was 1.4.2.

That makes me wonder why the reversed them after 1.4.2....... *shrug*

Thanks for the heads up.

*me feels foolish and decides to be quiet* :oops:

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”