Tips and Tricks

General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Tricycle21
level2
level2

Postby Tricycle21 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:32 pm

Phelanpt wrote:
Puzzlemaker wrote:Hot Feet can set trees on fire, I believe.

That one is new to me. :shock:

I had it happened once, but only once, and have never been able to reproduce it. :?
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:03 am

Another thing to always keep in mind while playing Multiwinia is that almost everything has a chance of backfiring and backfiring horribly.

If your going to place a turret in the middle of a battle field it might turn to odds in your favour and give you let you take out a large group with a small group but if the enemy manages to overrun you they now have an extra turret you have to deal with.

If your going top place turrets close together it's great for defense but the enemy only needs one nuke barrage, meteor strike or airstrike to take down all you defenses at once.

Only send in a large amount of multiwinians to capture a crate if it's going to be taken from you soon (e.g in the middle of a battle field). If you only send a small bunch this means you lose less forces for fighting and if a plague outbreak or evilwinian infection spreads it is easier to deal with.

Ants' nests and dark forests are great for thinning out you enemy forces but don't use it on areas you were planning to take soon. It's best to use it on their spawn point furthest away from you or on a choke point they have to get through. If you do end up attacking a place where you've placed them you're going to end up losing a lot forces to take out a small amount of their multiwinians and ultimately capture a spawn point where most of the multiwinians will be killed anyway. It's often best not to try and fight in areas with dark forests and ants' nests but instead just find a route around them. The exception to this is placing a dark forest on an area and burning it down once it grows so you've wiped out all their forces and you can come in once the fire clears.

Multiwinia is all about timing, since the enemy can see your every move try not to show what your doing early on and don't be too predictable. This means keeping power ups until you need them most and attacking as fast as possible so the enemy can't react. An example I have is when I was playing an assault map and had a choke point with three turrets guarding it. I thought I was safe even when my opponent lined up a whole bunch of multiwinians just out of range. Then they used a dark forest and set it on fire with an airstrike both of which I didn't know they had since I hadn't been keeping track of how many creates they captured. They then sent the multiwinians storming through my now burning defenses but they got their timing slightly wrong and end up setting their own forces as fire as well. If they had waited just a little bit more they would have taken out my WMD before I could react but if they waited much longer than that I would have sent in another force to delay them.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:47 am

Given my frustrations with anthills and forests comes this: Remember you can stockpile powerups, and there is no limit to how many they can be stocked up on. Yes I know, it's kind of obvious, but I needed to remind myself just now to save something in case I need it. Since Rocket and explosive power ups are not as common as dirt, I recommend having one in place in case the enemy decides to pestify your sole spawn point. Don't be afraid to bomb it either- as the short-term drawback of having few Darwinians is greater than the longterm drag of having the base infected.

For capture the statue, remember the objective is to get the statue to your base. On some maps, in some situations, it's best to let your enemy do the work for you and bring the statue to wherever it is you need it. Melting pot, for example, is just begging for you to steal the statue from your enemies just as they have it in their spawn zone.

On some maps with evil trees, let your enemies do the dirty work of getting the statue through the trees and wasting Darwinians. Use a powerup to exterminate the reinforcements, then grab the statue for yourself.

In King of the Hill, whenever there's a spawn point next to a territory, focus instead on the spawn point and secure it. Though your enemy might have a few seconds over you at first, you'll be able to hit him with a torrent of reinforcements and keep it if you have significant numbers.

When holding a turret, it might be a good idea to place a formation in the same facing as the turret, either aside of or just ahead of the turret (underneath the guns). This allows a second line of defense against any Darwinians that might sneak under the turret and make a grab at the controls.

When holding an important formation with a squadron under waves of enemy attack, it might be prudent to send your spawn point reinforcements to that location by right-clicking the destination on that squadron's commander. This way, reinforcing Darwinians will join the squadron to replace losses. Also, any extras will mill around and throw grenades.

Multiwinia is one of the few games where having the uphill advantage is clearly apparent. This is mostly in grenades and rockets. Grenades will bounce back downhill and rockets might fall a little shorter of their destinations.

Multiple fronts against an enemy is always preferable to charging them head on, even with superior numbers. This is the best way to tackle turrets without a powerup, since all four guns have to face one direction. The only exception is the flame turret, which (at the hands of a player) can make devastating sweeps.

Don't be afraid of using diversions. Making a showy attack against an opponent might hide the secret force (or full armor) you've sent along the flanks to take his spawn point. Take into consideration where your opponent may be focusing his attention.

When launching airstrikes or meteors, take into account where your enemy may be headed before launching your barrage. The sight alone of the powerup may make them panic and consider other routes, rather than being obliterated by the powerup strike.

Some devestating power ups, rather than placing them immediately in the enemy spawn point, might be better in the statue spawn area/recovery area. Not only does this cause battlefield confusion, but one can burn down trees too.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:02 am

Kuth wrote:Given my frustrations with anthills and forests comes this: Remember you can stockpile powerups, and there is no limit to how many they can be stocked up on.

Actually there is, haven't you ever gotten "max powerups reached"?
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:10 am

Not yet... the manual doesn't talk of a maximum limit either.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:34 am

Nothing talks about the maximums, as far as I know.

From experience, I think that you can have a maximum of 6 powerups at once, or 2 in retribution mode.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:41 am

Kuth wrote:For capture the statue, remember the objective is to get the statue to your base. On some maps, in some situations, it's best to let your enemy do the work for you and bring the statue to wherever it is you need it. Melting pot, for example, is just begging for you to steal the statue from your enemies just as they have it in their spawn zone.

Did this the other day...oh how I laughed... :wink:
Aegis Tyra
level1
level1

Postby Aegis Tyra » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:50 pm

Also - on Assault maps like Dog Green, if you can get your armours to the beach and unload quickly enough, it's probably better to use them as suicide bombers than take them back - they'll more than likely get pretty banged up attacking the Radar Dishes, and considering you get three free ones, to a limit of three, every reinforcement, it's cheap enough. Two for each turret, and one alone can knock out a whole Formation of MWGs.
Tricycle21
level2
level2

Postby Tricycle21 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:31 pm

I've found another interesting trick:
When your MWs catch plague, carry them into enemy territory with your armour(s). The plague will quickly spread over opponent's MWs.
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:58 pm

Don't move formations across large distances. The flag and the slow movement combine for a dead giveaway.

If you select an entire formation via a quick select, and command them to move in the same direction they are facing, they will stay in formation

The yo-yo: Have a formation move a little bit ahead of their officer. They will stay in range of it, and go back into formation. Great for hit and runs.

MWGs (Multiwinian guys, am I first to use this term?) use grenades or rockets if you keep them just the right distance away from the enemy.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:09 pm

skull13 wrote:MWGs (Multiwinian guys, am I first to use this term?)

Nope. :P
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:06 pm

To remove the hud press alt + x

Nice to know when you are looking at the battlefield at the end and taking screenshots.
- Morten
------------------
RedCell.dk
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38 am

Whats the secret when using air strikes? Other than striking a forest to set it ablaze.

*Formations? Seems to be the only way I've killed a big group of MW's.
*Spawn Points? I've only seem to kill around 35 to 50 when its well timed.
*Turrets and Armour's? I haven't seen this in action, or have tried it. Would it take two air strikes to knock out a Turret?
*Single group of un-commanded MW's? They seem to notice the fire markers and run too the hills. Resulting in no kills or only a few.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:27 am

You forgot statues. A direct hit pretty much stops it dead in its tracks.

Turrets should die after one airstrike. Several turrets will probably gun it down.

Because uncommanded MWs run away, you can use airstrikes to hold them back briefly. Say you're taking a spawn point and the enemy's just ordered his MWs to run for them and try to take them with overwhelming force. One airstrike between you and them, they won't dare try just walking around it.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:54 am

Planting a Dark Forest at the base of the Great Tree corrupts said tree. This makes for a rather troublesome place to try and get an army through. However, if the tree burns down it will regrow normally.

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”