First day woes

General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

KannedFarU
level0

First day woes

Postby KannedFarU » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:49 pm

This game is fantastic, I love the simplicity of the gameplay and tactical background of the game. However, there are of course some bugs that bother me on the first day:

1) When I select single player, it apparently makes me host a online game, which people begin to join. I just wanted to try the game without all the human players so I could develop a feel for the gameplay and understanding. However, I created a single player game and right before I hit the Play button, 2 people jumped right into my game and I couldn't boot them.

2) When my network connection was unplugged the game was unplayable even if I clicked on single player. None of the game modes were offered.

3) Can we please add a no timer option to domination games? I know they can take forever, but I enjoy playing a single map to the very end. Not to have my fun abruptly interrupted by big Game Over letters.

Otherwise I still have some exploring of the game to do, it's really fun. And I love the random darwinian races that jump into the game. So far I've seen futurinians and evilinians. It really adds a new element to the fun just when you thought you had taken care of your enemy.
NukeLord
level4
level4

Re: First day woes

Postby NukeLord » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:57 pm

KannedFarU wrote:3) Can we please add a no timer option to domination games? I know they can take forever, but I enjoy playing a single map to the very end. Not to have my fun abruptly interrupted by big Game Over letters.
There is an option for this in the 'Advanced options' menu while setting up a game. Setting the time limit to 0 gives you infinite time to annihilate the enemy (or them you).
KannedFarU
level0

Postby KannedFarU » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:58 pm

I tried that, it wouldn't let me set it to 0, only 1
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:18 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:
KannedFarU wrote:1) When I select single player, it apparently makes me host a online game, which people begin to join. I just wanted to try the game without all the human players so I could develop a feel for the gameplay and understanding. However, I created a single player game and right before I hit the Play button, 2 people jumped right into my game and I couldn't boot them.

I seem to recall this being fixed during the beta, but it apparently isn't.

It was, but apparently someone broke it again.
KannedFarU
level0

Postby KannedFarU » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:56 pm

The lack of game modes when I unplug my internet connection really threw me off. I don't see why my firewall would interfere with a game trying to contact itself. Let alone it lets me play online no problem. I know the game is about multiplayer, but it kinda stinks that I can't play it offline. That was my attempt to work around people joining my single player games.

Oh and I did just try domination with no time limit. It worked but I swear it didn't work earlier. Maybe a conditional bug?
Hertston
level1
level1

Postby Hertston » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:10 pm

KannedFarU wrote:1) When I select single player, it apparently makes me host a online game, which people begin to join. I just wanted to try the game without all the human players so I could develop a feel for the gameplay and understanding. However, I created a single player game and right before I hit the Play button, 2 people jumped right into my game and I couldn't boot them.

This one is really starting to annoy me.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:45 am

For some reason if I try to enter a Multiplayer game then nothing happens. It says it's connecting, then it's replaced by what would seem to be the game lobby thing, except there's no text.

And the first time I played Single Player, it desyched.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:58 am

Pinky wrote:For some reason if I try to enter a Multiplayer game then nothing happens. It says it's connecting, then it's replaced by what would seem to be the game lobby thing, except there's no text.

And the first time I played Single Player, it desyched.

Those appear to be bugs. Post in the Support Forum.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:57 pm

Please, one thread per problem.

(If there is already a thread about your problem no need to start a new one ;) )

-------------

KannedFarU wrote:2) When my network connection was unplugged the game was unplayable even if I clicked on single player. None of the game modes were offered.

Does your game say status unknown on the main menu?

Please post your debug.txt file. (Use the 'Open Multiwinia Profile' Windows start menu shortcut to find it)

Could you post an ipconfig output when connected and when disconnected:

1) Press the 'Start' button
2) Select 'Run ...'
3) Enter 'cmd' (if on windows XP/2000) or 'command' (if on windows 9x) in the 'Open' textbox.
4) Press the 'OK' button
5) After the command prompt as opened, enter 'ipconfig'
6) Select the output and paste it here. (You may need from the menu that appears when clicking on top left corner icon the 'Edit' -> 'Mark' and 'Edit' -> 'Copy' functions)

If your IP is invalid when disconnect, on your "Local Area Connection *", 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' properties, try entering an 'Alternative Configuration' with an address like 192.168.0.10 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 . After that reboot.

Please keep us posted if it works or not :)
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”