Retail and STEAM versions playing?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

elvenmonk
level1
level1

Retail and STEAM versions playing?

Postby elvenmonk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:30 am

I was wondering if retail and STEAM versions of the game can play. I herd from somewhere they can, but everyone I've talked to who bought the retail version they can't see or connect to, if they see, STEAM versions of the game. If so, then why can't I or my friends join/sometimes see STEAM matches. If not, how come?
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:44 am

The steam version should work just fine with the regular PC version of the game, providing that they are both up to date.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:30 am

What error message do you get when you try? It could be that the games you try to connect to are just behind bad firewalls. Games over the internet should work just fine for mixed steam/retail players. On the LAN, you'll need a bit of trickery, but it still works.

Also, if you buy the steam version, you get a key that also unlocks the retail version.
elvenmonk
level1
level1

Postby elvenmonk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:40 am

Before it used to say version error, couldn't connect.
Now STEAM games just don't show up.

I should be uptodate unless the auto updater hasn't been updating it. I'm on version 1.3.0, if this isn't the right version then tell me how to manually update, as my friends can't get past 1.3.0 either. But I just bought the game for my friend and he too can't see/connect [to] STEAM games.

Also how do you do LAN games? As I don't see an option for LAN games either when I play. I just see Host or join, then it puts it in the server list.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:06 am

Yes, 1.3.0 is the current version.
There's no special option for LAN games; things just use a different technique if you are running games with two players on the same LAN, behind the same router. The connection can't be established the usual way then, and yeah, then steam games will show up as incompatible unless you make very special arrangements.

But why don't you just let the steam players transplant their authentication key into a regular non-steam client? That works best and eliminates the steam/non-steam problem in those cases where it exists.

Return to “General”