Darwinia Demo 2 + Multiwinia = Half Functional Darwinia?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Tom.K
level1
level1
Location: The Universe / Milky Way / Solar System / Earth / Europe / Croatia

Darwinia Demo 2 + Multiwinia = Half Functional Darwinia?

Postby Tom.K » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:11 pm

I saw some threads which said that Darwinia and Multiwinia are almost same thing. While I was looking in Multiwinia files, I saw some old darwinian files. I've copied them to Darwinia Demo 2 folder, ran the game, but nothing done.
Why? Because there needs heavy tweaking. You'll need to... wanna try it? Try by yourself. I'll not help you doing this.
After doing all of that, you'll get HALF functional not fully functional version of Darwinia.

There're some differences:
If you replace all files with multiwinian files, textures will be modified and rarely confusing. It can be fixed easily.
English Language is gone. Most of lines are replaced with "ERROR_intro_example_1" (just a example). It can be fixed.
The Tutorial will crash game after a few steps. No way to fix.
Some levels are not playable because they need some sound files. This can be fixed and level will be available for playing, of course without original sounds.
If you leave a map by "Reset Location", you'll have to go all over again. If you quit, progress will be saved, but I don't think that someone will do that.
Armour is not available no matter what. No way for fix.
Map Editor will cause hang and it needs termination. Can't fix.
No mods can be created. It makes no sense because it needs Map Editor to work.
Sandbox and all incomplete levels are half playable (if you spoil ... will not say). You can't play them until you make progress, but by configuring ... (won't say) they become playable, but of course, this spoils level progress.
Yard level is not playable, I think. It requires Armours.

The game by itself is heavy unstable, but still playable.

I just wonder how Darwinian files got in Multwinia? Can this become fixed?
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Why exactly does this need to be fixed? If people want to buy Multiwinia and use it to create a utterly broken version of Darwinia, then let them. It's their loss.

Ass for all the files, well you could consider Multiwinia to just be one massive mod of Darwinia (the concept of Multiwinia is after-all the same as the one that Darwinia evolved from).
Tom.K
level1
level1

Postby Tom.K » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:33 pm

elexis wrote:Why exactly does this need to be fixed? If people want to buy Multiwinia and use it to create a utterly broken version of Darwinia, then let them. It's their loss.

People actually can just download Multiwinia retail demo...
Spybot-S&D 2.0 Alpha Tester
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:51 pm

Why would anyone bother to go to the trouble of doing this when there are easier (albeit illegal) ways to get a fully functional version of Darwinia for free?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Tom.K
level1
level1

Postby Tom.K » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:10 pm

Maybe this way they cannot be punished for doing illegal download or they don't want to be infected by downloading trojan instead of game.
Last edited by Tom.K on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spybot-S&D 2.0 Alpha Tester
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:10 pm

And to look at it from a slightly different angle, why would we, as the collective IV fans who do have some interest in seeing them make money, help with creating a better bastard version of Darwinia? Curiosity about what's technically possible only carries so far.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Plus Darwinia + Multiwinia costs just GBP4.49 right now...bargain at twice the price :!:

Return to “General”