Multiwinia Ladder Anniversary Tournament: Finished!

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Yay! I still rule trough my proxy, beat you to it bert!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:41 pm

* puzzled look * beat me to what? Are you implying Myst == your proxy? That would be quite funny :)

Oh yeah, congratulations to Myst, of course. How impolite of me.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:13 pm

She is, ask her. Even my trainee managed to beat you, that means I am able to beat you twice, not only by my skill, but also by my knowledge.
You get it?!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:37 pm

Ah. Last time I checked, Myst was higher on the ladder than you, and that was long before your score was frozen. She has a five games winning streak over you currently. Your trainee she may be, but she long drew equal to or maybe even surpassed you. While I agree that you would beat me, neither can I see how your conclusions are even close to correct, nor do I see the relevance. Don't try to spin it like you won the tournament. You didn't.

Plus, we all know I got 'second' only because of a series of smaller and bigger lucky events. Like landing on the opposite side of Myst and garnan in the brackets.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:46 pm

Man! It would be awesome if I could claim for my own the victories of some of the Defcon players I gave pointers to.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:27 pm

Yeah it's awesome Xocrates, you should try it sometime, and btw I'm still better or atleast equel to Myst even tho I lack practice, you shouold ask Myst she'll confirm this.
Anyway since I know Myst will read this, Grats Myst and you too Bert, nice to be 2nd ain't it? :)
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:30 pm

Btw. since when does the ladder represent skill level?
We all know Myst and I beat xander even on blitz, so...[/list]
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:54 pm

Jordy... wrote:Btw. since when does the ladder represent skill level?
It does, provided the players in question actually play against each other every once in a while. Which you two do, and with Myst winning more often recently. Raw data speaks more than player statements.
Jordy... wrote:We all know Myst and I beat xander even on blitz, so...
Let's see, xander vs. Cyan is 6:5 currently, xander vs. Myst 8:3. You won your last two games against him, Myst her last three. While those recent successes do stand for something, they aren't yet statistically relevant in the grand scheme of things, and if anything, they say that xander is getting out of shape lately.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:01 pm

haha, well there are a lot of factors in play, like wich maps wich modes wich starting position disconnects, etc. etc. crates not to mention, anyways I know I am better then xander and I know I am equally good as Myst to say the least, also Myst is beter then xander, clearly and most of the games player against xander by us 2 are blitz and some dom, wich Myst, playing all modes, is still able to win.

Hard data can be very misleading, that's why the mossad is so great, since it relies hugely on humint. So get yur facts right...
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:38 pm

Jordy... wrote:Hard data can be very misleading
You're a funny man :) Anyway, I agree with Jelco, this is totally the wrong topic. Cheer for cheesemoo0 or tiro, congratulate Myst again, but if you want to bath in imagined ubergreatness, start a new topic for that. Thinking again, I'll do that for you.
cheesemoo0
level3
level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:04 pm

Congrats to tiro for winning.

I suppose that's what I get for not playing for months. :P
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Congrats to Myst, bert and tiro! :)

It was a fun tournament, I was surprised to get that far.

tiro plays really well for his position in the ladder. Sorry, cheesemoo0, but I was rooting for him. :P
Last edited by Phelanpt on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiro
level1
level1

My thoughts on the ideal tournament

Postby tiro » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:33 pm

I would like to see the following players play in a tournament with a group stage (two groups of four):
Myst, Adub, MadMorgan, Wingman317, Cyan, fonzor, xander. The eighth place contestant should be the winner of a play-in game between bert and tortisvektor.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:55 pm

With a smaller group, you could have a different tournament structure.
How about a swiss-style pairing tournament? Everyone plays people with the same number of wins, during a fixed number of rounds? Maybe even round robin.
tiro
level1
level1

Postby tiro » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:01 pm

Phelanpt wrote:With a smaller group, you could have a different tournament structure.
How about a swiss-style pairing tournament? Everyone plays people with the same number of wins, during a fixed number of rounds? Maybe even round robin.

A good suggestion.

I think future tournaments should use structures intended to minimize the number of games played. That would minimize the effect of skipped/unplayed games on the end result.

Return to “General”