Questions before buying it: LAN Mode, Steam, Demo etc.

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

D-Fence
level0

Questions before buying it: LAN Mode, Steam, Demo etc.

Postby D-Fence » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi there!

I am thinking about buying Multiwinia for a LAN. I got some minor questions:

a) I have read that Demo users can join LAN games created by full versions. True/False?

b) Do demo users have all maps/modes to join or can they only join certain games? Is there a limit to how many demo users can join (other than the map limit ofc)

c) Does the Steam version work properly in offline mode under Windows Vista? I remember having a lot of trouble with offline steam games before...

d) Is there an Option to get the proper (non-steam) Version for 9,99$ too? I don't see why it costs almost double to buy from the developer than from a reseller and I prefer having "real" games not Steam games....or can I somehow transfer my Steam Key to a standalone game?

Thanks, hoping for positive replies :)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Re: Questions before buying it: LAN Mode, Steam, Demo etc.

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:29 pm

D-Fence wrote:a) I have read that Demo users can join LAN games created by full versions. True/False?
True. However, there are two caveats: the versions of the demo and full game need to match exactly, Steam demo and the demo from IV won't work together. And the demo clients will pretend you need to buy the full version; the demo players need to hit an invisible "Ready" button.

D-Fence wrote:b) Do demo users have all maps/modes to join or can they only join certain games? Is there a limit to how many demo users can join (other than the map limit ofc)
On the LAN, there are no limitations. Internet play is restricted to those maps the demo can play in single player mode.

D-Fence wrote:c) Does the Steam version work properly in offline mode under Windows Vista? I remember having a lot of trouble with offline steam games before...
Educated guess: yes. The Steam version even runs without Steam running, it just crashes when you would have gotten an achievement. If all else fails, you can transfer your steam authkey over to the retail demo and play that completely without Steam.

D-Fence wrote:d) Is there an Option to get the proper (non-steam) Version for 9,99$ too?
No.

D-Fence wrote:or can I somehow transfer my Steam Key to a standalone game?
Yes, that works. Currently. There's no guarantee it will keep working, but in theory, depending on the SuperSecret contract details, Valve would have the right to enforce restrictions on key transfer.
D-Fence
level0

Postby D-Fence » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:49 pm

OK then.

I just bought it for 9.99$ from Steam, read out the Authkey and successfully activated the standalone demo.

How is the Authkey stored? I updated the activated Demo version via the Autoupdater, copied it to another folder and deleted the authkey file to create a Demo version again users on the LAN can copy over their installed demo as the downloadable Demo is not up-to-date. However, when I started it, it still showed me as registred user, I deleted the key in the game and pressed the play demo button, now my other installed activated demo shows me as demo user again, so my guess is registry? I just don't want to accidentally give people on the LAN my key which would be bad :P but still play the most up-to-date Multiwinia Demo without having an internet connection at the LAN site :)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:29 pm

As you already found out, the Steam key is inside the Steam application folder. By default, the retail version however stores the authkey in your profile. There's a start menu entry in the Multiwinia submenu that leads you to the profile directory. Unless you copied an authkey there yourself (or ran the game with the --NoProfile command line switch), the program installation copy should be clean of it and can be copied safely.
D-Fence
level0

Postby D-Fence » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:46 pm

excellent *Mr. Burns gesture*

So the Program directory should be safe to pass around, will give it a test run tonight :)
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:20 pm

Safe, yes. But does anyone know about legal, or okay with IV? Usually companies don't like it if you distribute the unpacked installer, I think.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:34 pm

I doubt it matters that much. Given the way IV games work, there's no functional difference between the packed and unpacked installer, other than auto-created shortcuts.
I don't think IV would care.
Of course, they would object to also passing around the Authkey, but its already set up to not accept identical authkeys.

Shwart!!

Return to “General”