Multiwinia tourney

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Cyan.
level3
level3

Multiwinia tourney

Postby Cyan. » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:44 pm

Just to know whether someone is up for a tourney, this week. I suggest we use pools and then a knock-out system. We can post the outcomes of the matches on the forum.
I favor DOM, KOTH and CTS, but I wouldn't mind ROCKET or BLITZ either if someone likes them. I don't want to discriminate so anyone can join if it's up to e but I would prefer only medium to good players. Personally I am available from coming thursday to sunday.
So let me know if your intrested.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:53 pm

Interested. I might even break from tradition and stick to a name. :P

DOM, KOTH, CTS are good. I won't say that ASSLT's a stupid idea, ROCKET's the most boring and uneventful mode by miles, and BLITZ is an unrelenting meatgrinder, but I will say I'd rather not play them.

Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday evening are my busy evenings at the moment.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:55 pm

let's say saturday from 4 o'clock as an starting point?

Btw mas did I ever fight you?
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:19 pm

What time is your zone?
Artemis
level1
level1

Postby Artemis » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:42 pm

Will there be any [DEMO] players? :wink:

Nothing against demo users, Cyan is just tricksy!
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:02 pm

haha no demo players cannot join because we will play more maps then alloud, for the fake ass demo players we have plenty of room afcourse. My time zone is gmt -8.00 I think.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:10 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:Interested. I might even break from tradition and stick to a name. :P

DOM, KOTH, CTS are good. I won't say that ASSLT's a stupid idea, ROCKET's the most boring and uneventful mode by miles, and BLITZ is an unrelenting meatgrinder, but I will say I'd rather not play them.

Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday evening are my busy evenings at the moment.

You just insulted two of my favorite game modes. *shakes fist*
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:43 pm

Timezone: GMT

RabidZombie wrote:You just insulted two of my favorite game modes. *shakes fist*
Oh? Are you a boring meatgrinder, a stupid meatgrinder, or a stupid bore? :P

Cyan. wrote:Btw mas did I ever fight you?
It would take me forever to go through all the names.
Last edited by Mas Tnega on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:01 pm

Well, I have serious doubts about Cyan., but he deserves a chance to prove he's not an asshole after all. I'm in.

As a format, to cope with the inherent randomness, I suggest double knockout. We'd need 16 players for that (or 2^(2^n) for any integer n). Rules: duels get played. Lose two and you're out. Matches can be played between two players if they either
a) haven't lost yet and won the same number of games or
b) have lost once, but won the same number of games or
d) are the last two players left
Last person not eliminated wins. Simple enough?

There are 22 total duel maps, Assault included (all assault duel maps are winnable as attacker and one can have a match on them by playing them twice and checking who finishes them faster), counting errors excluded. I suggest everyone picks a fixed set of at least 12 maps he'd be willing to play on, so there can be no complaining later of "ooh, but I hated that map", because there would be an overlap between any two players.

Timezone: GMT + 1
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:15 pm

I am not following you. Anyway how do I prove I am not an complete ass? As you see at my stats I never left a game before it was finished so.. But I would happily screw that chance up anyway because I don't want you to like me.

I was thinking more that we pick a number of maps before hand. Mostly most popular maps and the ones that don't favour a starting position. Then we make pools and we let each player play against everyone in his pool, this way we can also include 3 or4 player maps. We give points to the scores i.a. 1st 2nd 3th 4th, then top 2 pool players go in knockout like you said with duels. Proble is if everyone chooses his own mode and map, you have aps that are fairly specific, aso with starting position so if yu don't know such a map or mode at al you lose pretty certain.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:38 pm

Cyan. wrote:I am not following you. Anyway how do I prove I am not an complete ass?
By not doing anything assholey.
Cyan. wrote:As you see at my stats I never left a game before it was finished so..
That's but one tiny measure of bad behavior.
Cyan. wrote:But I would happily screw that chance up anyway because I don't want you to like me.
It's not about whether I like you. I don't, and that's unlikely to change. Psychology just works like that. But this thread basically is your first actually constructive contribution here, and I want to give you credit for that.

Cyan. wrote:I was thinking more that we pick a number of maps before hand. Mostly most popular maps and the ones that don't favour a starting position. Then we make pools and we let each player play against everyone in his pool, this way we can also include 3 or4 player maps.
If the Defcon tournaments have taught us anything, then it's that anything but duels is hell to get organized with people from different time zones. I'd advise against that.

Cyan. wrote:We give points to the scores i.a. 1st 2nd 3th 4th, then top 2 pool players go in knockout like you said with duels.
This wouldn't work with mixed games; if some people play duels, others 4 player matches, scores won't be comparable. Unless you just give each player one point for every player ending up with lower score than themselves, but that leaves the problem that three player games are political and there's not much you can do if two players team up against you. Four player maps are relatively OK in that respect.

Cyan. wrote:Proble is if everyone chooses his own mode and map, you have aps that are fairly specific, aso with starting position so if yu don't know such a map or mode at al you lose pretty certain.
Afraid? :) That's why I suggested to let everyone pick half of the duel maps plus one. It's not too many maps to actually get yourself familiar with, yet with any two players, there will be at least one map on both players' lists.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:12 pm

afraid indeed. If your still here let's play a game over exactly 45 minutes. My name will be Cyan. just join then we can discuss wich map we play oke? I am curious whether you are still on top of your game. BTW My general strategie posts are fairly constrctive I would say, maybe you looked over them, or do you just find them shit? Howvere do I meet you then about 45 min?
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:19 pm

Oh crap...it's taken all of a month for the Multiwinia forums to turn all Defcon... :wink:
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:27 pm

Cyan. wrote:afraid indeed. If your still here let's play a game over exactly 45 minutes. My name will be Cyan. just join then we can discuss wich map we play oke? I am curious whether you are still on top of your game. BTW My general strategie posts are fairly constrctive I would say, maybe you looked over them, or do you just find them shit? Howvere do I meet you then about 45 min?
Don't rise to it. You're only showing him how you play.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:46 pm

Cyan. wrote:My name will be Cyan. just join then we can discuss wich map we play oke?
There is nothing to discuss. Since you're the challenger, Standard Duelling Rules give me the right to pick. My server Dedwinia Test, Rocket Riot, default settings (no way to verify that if you're hosting), Stairway to Heaven.

Edit: the password shall be "cyan".
Last edited by bert_the_turtle on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”