Giant Centipedes of Doom

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Artemis
level1
level1

Giant Centipedes of Doom

Postby Artemis » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:08 am

I'm not sure if this was a freak once-off bug or some bizarre feature that came in with the new patch, but I'm wondering what you guys think about it.

I was playing Leap of Faith last night, and dropped an Ants nest on one of the islands that got taken over by Evilwinians. A wee while later I spotted this:

ImageImage

ImageImage

After zooming about and getting a better look I realised it wasn't moving too much, and then I spotted these guys:

ImageImage

I don't remember any eggs getting dropped on the island, so, do particularly successful Ants nests start spawning mini Centipedes? Or is this a freak once-off? Anyone else seen a Giant Centipede of Doom?
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:02 am

That's just bizarre.

And yet the first thing I thought when I saw that was 'lucky bastard got two harvesters'
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:50 pm

I'm wondering if it's to do with the Evilwinians, as the Infection Outbreak creates other forms at the same time, all fighting for Black; however it does seem a little odd that this centipede is so bloated, maybe he was gobbling on all the souls the ants were carrying.
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:01 pm

Centipedes eat souls, and use them to grow larger. Every time a centipede eats a soul, one more segment is added to his body. The smallest segment generally stays the same size (I think) and the head segment gets larger and larger as the centipede gets longer. While there seemed to be an upper limit to the scaling of the largest segment in Darwinia, I suppose that the limit might no longer exist in Multiwinia. However, that centipede seems unreasonably large.

xander
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:59 pm

xander wrote:Centipedes eat souls, and use them to grow larger. Every time a centipede eats a soul, one more segment is added to his body. The smallest segment generally stays the same size (I think) and the head segment gets larger and larger as the centipede gets longer. While there seemed to be an upper limit to the scaling of the largest segment in Darwinia, I suppose that the limit might no longer exist in Multiwinia. However, that centipede seems unreasonably large.

xander

I'm pretty sure there still is a limit.

Not sure what happened here though. :S
Ripfang
level1
level1

Postby Ripfang » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:33 pm

The same thing happened to me just now on Pursuit of Victory map. The thing floated around for a min... killed about half of the guys on the map and then flickered in and out for a few mins.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/ ... ster-1.jpg

I think it happened when the computer put eggs on top of an ant nest. Not sure.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:14 am

Of course...
It's a centipede. It could possibly steal the souls from an antnest.

Shwart!!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:39 am

Couldn't those be Soul Destroyers? They look kind of similar, and I've seen them getting spawned just by an Outbreak. Of course, they'd still be far too big, and I don't recall Soul Destroyers growing anyway.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:52 am

I'm pretty sure thats the centipede model, there are some differences.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:21 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:Couldn't those be Soul Destroyers? They look kind of similar, and I've seen them getting spawned just by an Outbreak. Of course, they'd still be far too big, and I don't recall Soul Destroyers growing anyway.

Trust me, it's a centipede. You can tell by the segments.

Also, in that second screen shot. THAT IS HUGE! D:

I'm guessing this has something to do with the ants, since I have never seen this before. Perhaps it is stealing souls from ants carrying them in transit? It isn't stealing them from the nest, as I'm pretty sure souls become 3 ants immediately.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:57 pm

There wouldn't possibly be enough souls in transit.
If the nest had, say, 200 ants in it, the centipede might instantly kill them all and eat their souls, since they're all in one place.
Yes, they instantly become ants, but note that the old behavior (back from Darwinia) was for all ants inside to be released as souls upon antnest destruction. This bug may be a relic from old code.
Whatever the case, the antnests have something to do with it.

Shwart!!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:26 am

Either the evilwinians don't have souls, or their souls are invisible... Not sure.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:17 am

Might this be a manifestation of the frikken huge models bug? In this case, centipede segment models? You said they aren't moving
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:27 am

I should really try making a custom map with a centipede, ants nest, and magical forest to observe.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:10 am

xyzyxx wrote:Might this be a manifestation of the frikken huge models bug? In this case, centipede segment models? You said they aren't moving

Holy shit! I remember that bug! I thought it was fixed...

xander

Return to “General”