a small concern

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:33 am

Half-Lifes use it, but it doesn't seem to work with Episode Two plus everyone just use Esc... I use it sometimes though.
MT4K
level0

Postby MT4K » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:26 am

well in games i always try the pause key before even esc, but i guess thats just me, i like to pause a game without a clunky menu covering up the screen and i only really use escape when i intend to use the menu itself :-/

but i guess thats just me but you all made fair points so its all good heh
Emily
level0

Postby Emily » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:55 pm

I dont recall ever actually using the Pause button before, I'm glad I read this as I honestly had no idea!
immortalnights
level1
level1

Postby immortalnights » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:36 pm

I agree that ESC which shows a menu is often the pause for single players games.

I find it a little wired that they use the "Pause key" for pausing exclusively, when you can't play when the menu is shown anyway.

Additionally, its more odd that they chose to use "P" for print screen rather then the "Print Screen" button or any other key.

So I admit, IV's choice of keyboard shortcuts is somewhat of a mystery; however taking into the account games are almost always no more then 20 minutes long, who should be pausing anyway! :P

That all said, the lack of pause was somewhat annoying on Darwinia (the only way I knew how to was to minimize it) - but it's only a pause, hardly fundamental, and hardly a good reason for people to shunt the game!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:32 pm

elexis wrote:But for the point of this conversation it is true. All laptops designed for windows will have a pause key. I think that the guys making the mac version will realise that almost every mac doesn't have a pause key and will use another button.

Um... no, that was not my point at all. I play Multiwinia under Windows XP on a Mac. I don't have a pause key. I had to change the pause key myself by hacking the input prefs file. And you are incorrect to say that "almost every Mac doesn't have a pause key." No Mac has a pause key, unless the owner of said Mac actually went out and bought a keyboard with a pause key.

xander
cde
level2
level2

Postby cde » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:53 am

xander wrote:
elexis wrote:But for the point of this conversation it is true. >snip<

Um... no, >snip<

xander

Indeed Xander.

For the point of this conversation, it is (according to varying opinions) confusing/uncommon/impossible/a usability nightmare to use the "Pause" key for anything cross-platform. Good luck finding the Pause key on your Xbox.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:03 pm

cde wrote:
xander wrote:
elexis wrote:But for the point of this conversation it is true. >snip<

Um... no, >snip<

xander

Indeed Xander.

For the point of this conversation, it is (according to varying opinions) confusing/uncommon/impossible/a usability nightmare to use the "Pause" key for anything cross-platform. Good luck finding the Pause key on your Xbox.

Please learn to spell my name correctly.

xander

Return to “General”