Is Multiwinia the dark side of gaming?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Robo Pope
level0

Postby Robo Pope » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:06 pm

Multiwinia is definatly Dark, it pictures war in its simplest form, hundreds of soldiers dying in times less than two minutes.

I also find several of the powerups "Dark"
Futurewinians: space zombies that shoot you rather than bite you
Evilwinians: Reminds me of the disease in I am legend, it starts by somthing good (getting a crate) and then ends horribly (alot of your Mw's turning evil).
Dark Forest: its like the classic evil forest in folktales " Dont go in there man! ITLL EAT YOUR SOUL!"

all in all its still fun and funny.
The little cat mew as Mw's die? Pricless en masse.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:27 am

I'd like to think of Multiwinia as the light side of gaming, in a way, because it's everything that the large corporations isn't. That's to say, it's an original concept which we haven't seen since... well, since DEFCON really, and before Introversion stepped up to bat, since those crazy games like Day of the Tentacle back in the day. I think the dark side of gaming is really the "make games for no other reason than profit" which leads to one of the following formulas:

The MMO
Grind + Spiders = Grind + Slightly larger Spiders

The Shooter
Guy with gun + Other guys = Dead guys

The RTS
Starcraft

And the Dark Forests aren't dark. You want Dark? Try this out for size:
(This is on a map that someone's made for Human vs. Futurewinians, which means there's the other CPU that got shafted for them using retribution)

Futurewinians used Dark Forest!
Pinky: Well thats fine, it didn't kill many of my units, and now it's harder to capture my spawn.
CPU(Green) used Meteor Shower!
Pinky: ...shit.

After the meteors had stopped falling, it became apparent that they had all somehow missed my forces standing in the very center of the target range. The meteors had, however, set the Dark Forest on fire.
Ripfang
level1
level1

Postby Ripfang » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:07 am

Actually I think the Futurewinians are one of the least dark parts of the game.. Annoying yes.. but not dark. They only convert people and I haven't ever seen them toss grenades. Besides a few airstrikes or metors, Furturewinians are basically non-violent. They just covert everyone. (Personally I like the idea they are closer to the orgininal Darwinians.)
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:36 am

I've seen Futurewinians toss grenades.

Half of a formation was suddenly Futurewinians.
neo1000
level1
level1

Postby neo1000 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:02 pm

Well, in "Multiwinia" you are a god of war and you put thousands of lifeless souls to death. Could it get any darker?

In the early days of videogaming there wasn't any kind of morale. The goal of the game was to survive, just as simple as that. The visuals were "rough and simple" and the avatars weren't "human" at all. These aspects made games like "Space Invaders", "Pac Man" or "Asteroids" a very surreal experience.

Return to “General”