On Crate Weights?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:21 am

Ach. We are used to a false kind of random (or pseudorandom, actually), probably from media players or similar. Some media players employ checks to see if the 'sequence' (ie. song) has been played recently. If so, get a new random song.

Multiwinia doesn't employ this kind of selection (I assume), hence the "truly" pseudorandom sequences of crates. You know, at the 762nd decimal place of Pi, you have a sequence of six 9s (incidentally, this is called the Feynman point). The probability of this sequence appearing this early in a random number is about 0.08%. Yet is the possibility for any other six digit sequence.

---

Put simply, it is equally probable to get an Engineer, followed by Hot Feet, then an Ants Nest, and another Engineer, as it is probable to get four Ants Nests in a row. You just don't find the former remarkable.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:39 am

That may be so, it is far less likely to get something remarkable than it is to get something unremarkable, so it is perfectly acceptable to be amazed when you get something remarkable.

There are 31 (is this right?) powerups excluding the variation between instant and placed. Assuming at least 3 in a row is considered remarkable, that's 31/31 * 1/31 * 1/31. This is 1/961. Should I really be experiencing remarkable powerup combinations as often as I do? Probably not, but then again this is chance. I'm not surprised some people are experiencing the unlikely.

Anyway, we all know computers can't make random numbers. :P

PS. Powerups:
Squad Harvester Engineer Armour AirStrike Nuke Darwinians PersonalShield Subversion HotFeet GunTurret Infection MagicalForest Randomiser AntNest Plague Eggs Meteor DarkForest CrateMania SpawnMania Bitzkreig Rocketwinians Rage RocketTurret FlameTurret SpaceShip Triffids NapalmStrike SlowDown SpeedUp
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:05 am

I've mostly been experiencing "Give me a goddamned armour!" and "I've eliminated everyone, so what am I going to do with this many airstrikes?!".

Also: Are Futurewinians and Mega Rage "Spaceship" and "Blitzkrieg" respectively?
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:24 am

Yes. The list was taken from english.txt with the removed powerups taken out.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:15 pm

Weighted crate drops work based on player score. I'm working from memory here so this might be a little off, but the basic way it works is as follows.
First, it determines whether or not do actually do a weighted crate drop. The odds of this are based on the total score of all the players in the game vs the highest score, or total score vs lowest score (which ever gives a higher percentage).
Once it has decided to do a weighted drop, it works out the odds that each player has of getting the crate drop, based on their score compared to the total score; the lower your score is compared with everyone elses, the more chance you have of getting the crate. So for example, in a 2 player game, if one player had 10 points and the other had 100, the first player would be 10 times more likely to get the crate than the other.
After it has worked out which team to give the crate to, it simply picks a random building owned by that team and drops the crate nearby.
Contents of the crate are always random; there is always a low chance that it will contain something bad, even if you have recieved it as a weighted drop.
If at any point along the process, it decides not to do a weighted drop (which is more likely assuming a reasonably even spread of scores across all teams) it will simply do a random drop, which means it will pick a random spot of land on the map and drop it there.
mehoo462
level2
level2

Postby mehoo462 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:21 pm

BRILLIANT!!!! Thanks Icepick!!!

Return to “General”