A question about pre-ordered copies

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

NuclearMonkey
level0

A question about pre-ordered copies

Postby NuclearMonkey » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:36 pm

I pre-ordered Multiwinia. As far as I understand I will receive the key and possibility to download Multiwinia 24hrs before the official release, i.e. later today. Does that mean I will be able to play Multiwinia right away?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:38 pm

You receive the key on release, but you'll be able to download it 24 hours early.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:06 pm

NuclearMonkey wrote:Does that mean I will be able to play Multiwinia right away?

In theory, yes but possibly no. IV may just be spreading out the load of dealing with the release to avoid the smashed trout that happened during the Defcon release, effectively allowing you to just load but not play. We shall just have to wait and see.

KingAl wrote:You receive the key on release, but you'll be able to download it 24 hours early.

Actually, according to the store "Pre-order today to receive your key and pre-load download 24hrs prior to release" and "By pre-ordering your copy you will receive your key 24 hours prior to launch to prevent queuing at launch."
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:32 pm

Well there you go; could've sworn it said differently. Suffice to say either way, though, in my opinion the pre-load is unlikely to allow you to play online matches -- I'm guessing that this'll be controlled centrally from the meta-server, so if Multiwinia uses the same scheme as Defcon you may be able to play local matches without authentication. It's possible but, it seems to me, unlikely that Multiwinia's system will be different/ that the download entails some kind of launch one-off that dials in before allowing an install.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
Aegis Tyra
level1
level1

Postby Aegis Tyra » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:04 pm

Turns out, it's neither. You can't play at all, no .exe or .config file supplied with the pre-load. Huh.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:14 pm

Exactly. Pre-load. Doing exactly as it said on the HTML formatted tin.

Return to “General”