Mac Version of Multiwinia

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:18 am

Yes, Linux/Mac certainly makes up a higher proportion of IV's audience than most other games companies, but it is still a minority compared to the Windows market... I'm hoping for a Linux version soon, though.
gallifreyan
level0

Postby gallifreyan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:46 am

As a Mac user, I would like to apologise for MTW. We are not all like that.....

Personally, while it's a little disappointing the Mac version of Multiwinia is not ready yet, and that we don't know when it will be, I would like to say a huge thank-you to Introversion and Ambrosia for producing Mac versions AT ALL!! Many, many developers do not even bother - so to find a developer with such unique and fantastic games, especially such a SMALL developer, who takes the time to develop, test, and release Mac version of those games - well, all I can say is, again, THANK YOU!!

As for the whole Mac vs PC thing - well, it's a little silly. I used to be rabid anti-Microsoft, but you know what - they're not really that bad. (Well, except Vista.... :-) Both platforms have their ups and downs. I generally prefer using a Mac over a PC for general productivity stuff - I find the Mac a little more fun, and a little less stressful to use in general, but to be honest these days, there's not too much difference any more. I have quirky mac stuff happen every day, just like quirky windows stuff happens.

For games - well, sorry fellow Mac users, but Windows has more choice by far. Mac is certainly improving in this respect - but slowly, oh so slowly. Games just are not, and never have been a priority for Apple. Whether this could change given the success of games on the iPhone App store remains to be seen, but I'm skeptical.

I'd suggest any Mac user who cares about gaming to take a step back, and support our Windows friends where gaming is concerned. With all the doomsayers about the "death of PC Gaming" recently (which, admittedly, is far, far over-exaggerated) we all need to stick together in my opinion, and show our support to keep the PC (and, where possible, the Mac) a strong, healthy platform capable of nurturing such innovative and talented developers as Intorversion and Ambrosia.

Hmm I think I rambled on too much - anyway, just my 2c (or tuppence, or whatever)...
Captain Carrot
level0

Postby Captain Carrot » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:20 pm

Yes yes and yes*. (I wonder what the actual DL breakdown is for darwinia? Surely they must have a way of telling..)

I just wish they'd put a notice somewhere on their website.

*esp. the apology for MWT.
ewanm
level3
level3

Postby ewanm » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:11 am

1) It has already been said by several beta testers that are linux users, multiwinia runs in wine fairly well. (plus you could at least try the demo)
2) The day M$ release M$ Flight Simulator 200 and whatever for mac on windows version release day is the day you have a right to complain at a very small indie company that have always provided Mac and Linux ports ASAP after release. (save uplink, they were even smaller then). Also remember they aren't just working on the Mac port they are working on the linux port and patch updates for windows and defcon updates and subversion and whatever it was they were doing for channel 4, oh and an xbox360 port of multiwinia all simultaeneously. When I see you to write a game this good, in a year with all that to do as well, and you manage to get all releases on the same day... Oh wait, we're talking physically impossible before you are bankrupt.
MTW
level1
level1

Postby MTW » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:06 am

The Defcon port was not "soon after"
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:01 am

He said ASAP, not soon after ;)
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:23 am

MTW wrote:The Defcon port was not "soon after"

You are an idiot. Either learn to read, or go away.

Also, just for your information, "ASAP" stands for "as soon as possible." Defcon was released for the Mac as soon as it was possible to do so.

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:39 am

Sweet Sasquatch in a graveyard!

I was avoiding this topic since I don't have an Apple computer, lo and behold I was missing a good old fashioned troll bash! I guess that's what happens when you show up late to the party, the fun's already begun...
Captain Carrot
level0

Postby Captain Carrot » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:13 am

ewanm wrote:1) It has already been said by several beta testers that are linux users, multiwinia runs in wine fairly well. (plus you could at least try the demo)
2) The day M$ release M$ Flight Simulator 200 and whatever for mac on windows version release day is the day you have a right to complain at a very small indie company that have always provided Mac and Linux ports ASAP after release. (save uplink, they were even smaller then). Also remember they aren't just working on the Mac port they are working on the linux port and patch updates for windows and defcon updates and subversion and whatever it was they were doing for channel 4, oh and an xbox360 port of multiwinia all simultaeneously. When I see you to write a game this good, in a year with all that to do as well, and you manage to get all releases on the same day... Oh wait, we're talking physically impossible before you are bankrupt.

For the record: only one of us Maco's is bemoaning the delay in porting.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:15 pm

Captain Carrot wrote:For the record: only one of us Maco's is bemoaning the delay in porting.

Indeed. Of course, I have been playing the Mac version for a few weeks now, but I'm not complaining about the delay. ;)

xander
drakfyre
level1
level1

Postby drakfyre » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:23 am

My name is Drakfyre, and I am a Mac user. I also dabble in game programming. Before saying anything else, I want to say that I absolutely love Introversion, every product they have produced is amazing, and I am so glad they support the Mac community. I am sorry to reopen this thread, but I just got to reading it and it really got to me.

MTW, I am APPALLED at your ignorance of how basic concepts like "time" and "money" factor in to independent developers' priorities. Yes, it is possible to simultaneously develop and release a title on multiple platforms. I personally have made a very simple game project that I maintained for PC, Mac, and PSP. The simple fact is that even on a SIMPLE project, maintaining a code-base for multiple platforms consumes more time than maintaining for just one platform. You have to compile the project multiple times for each platform target, and you need to test the project multiple times to insure that it works the same on all platforms. Then, if there are any problems that are platform specific, you need fixes that are platform specific, fixes that could then break other aspects between your versions. This problem is exacerbated about 100-fold when you add platform interoperability like networking into the mix. All this extra time means more money spent on a project. People need to live, whether they are independent or part of a huge corporation. They need to be paid for their work. Independent doesn't mean that the developers live at home with their rich family and receive free room and board and sit focused on their computer, their goal to prove that they can make it in the world. These are working folk. They spend hours on projects, get paid a salary, all the things you expect from a "regular" company. The only difference is that if a game gets pushed back, there may not be a buffer. There may not be enough in the coffers to pay everyone. And if people don't get paid, they aren't going to continue working, no matter how much they love their jobs. Because at the end of the day, they have to pay their rent checks, they have to buy their food.

When I read your post that stated: "because I want to play it, but it's not worth a reboot into windows." my blood boiled. I hope to hell you are just a troll and not the spoiled little shit that you make yourself out to be.

Sorry. End of rant.
MTW
level1
level1

Postby MTW » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:29 pm

drakfyre wrote:My name is Drakfyre, and I am a Mac user. I also dabble in game programming. Before saying anything else, I want to say that I absolutely love Introversion, every product they have produced is amazing, and I am so glad they support the Mac community. I am sorry to reopen this thread, but I just got to reading it and it really got to me.

MTW, I am APPALLED at your ignorance of how basic concepts like "time" and "money" factor in to independent developers' priorities. Yes, it is possible to simultaneously develop and release a title on multiple platforms. I personally have made a very simple game project that I maintained for PC, Mac, and PSP. The simple fact is that even on a SIMPLE project, maintaining a code-base for multiple platforms consumes more time than maintaining for just one platform. You have to compile the project multiple times for each platform target, and you need to test the project multiple times to insure that it works the same on all platforms. Then, if there are any problems that are platform specific, you need fixes that are platform specific, fixes that could then break other aspects between your versions. This problem is exacerbated about 100-fold when you add platform interoperability like networking into the mix. All this extra time means more money spent on a project. People need to live, whether they are independent or part of a huge corporation. They need to be paid for their work. Independent doesn't mean that the developers live at home with their rich family and receive free room and board and sit focused on their computer, their goal to prove that they can make it in the world. These are working folk. They spend hours on projects, get paid a salary, all the things you expect from a "regular" company. The only difference is that if a game gets pushed back, there may not be a buffer. There may not be enough in the coffers to pay everyone. And if people don't get paid, they aren't going to continue working, no matter how much they love their jobs. Because at the end of the day, they have to pay their rent checks, they have to buy their food.

When I read your post that stated: "because I want to play it, but it's not worth a reboot into windows." my blood boiled. I hope to hell you are just a troll and not the spoiled little shit that you make yourself out to be.

Sorry. End of rant.

I don't care about anything you said. Here is where I am coming from:

Blizzard wouldn't do this. No respectable dev would do this. Either release the product for both platforms on day one, or give a damn good reason why you are not. Any dev who is unable to do this deserves bankruptcy.
MTW
level1
level1

Postby MTW » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:34 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:MTW, you are a fucking ignorant retard, incredibly naive and stupidly refusing to read any of the extremely valid points thrown at you. Because proper language doesn't seem to get through to you I'll keep in short and understandable:

Go away.

Jelco

No.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:36 pm

MTW wrote:
jelco the galactaboy wrote:MTW, you are a fucking ignorant retard, incredibly naive and stupidly refusing to read any of the extremely valid points thrown at you. Because proper language doesn't seem to get through to you I'll keep in short and understandable:

Go away.

Jelco

No.

Do you live under a bridge and hand out business cards?
MTW
level1
level1

Postby MTW » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:37 pm

Xocrates wrote:
MTW wrote:

Go away.

Jelco

No.

Do you live under a bridge and hand out business cards?

I live under a bridge and hand out crack rocks.

Return to “General”