Frozen Synapse vs. Subversion?

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

chilinux
level0

Frozen Synapse vs. Subversion?

Postby chilinux » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:40 am

I just noticed Frozen Synapse on Steam and from watching the video it almost seemed like a flavor of Subversion. I understand this is an unfair comparison considering that Subversion is still in development. But based on the videos on Steam, I would be very surprised if FS developers where not at least partly inspired by Introversion's work. The graphics look exactly like what I would expect from Introversion and the concept seems loosely similar to what I think Subversion is supposed to be.

However, to put things into context, I also had gotten Hacker Evolution hoping for something similar to Uplink. HE was an alright short little game but from the prospective of expecting it to compete with Uplink it was a little of a let down.

Maybe I am just looking for similarity where there really is none. So, I'm just wanted to get people's opinion.

Thanks!
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:15 am

The only thing that seems similar, as stated by the developers themself, who have seen subversion them self, is that art is somewhat similar, but game-play it totally different.

I also don't know which game was in development and adopted that specific color scheme first, but FS is certainly out first.
monkeyman23555
level1
level1

Postby monkeyman23555 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:30 pm

I agree with jordy, the art is similar, however the game is actually quite different from what we have seen from subversion.

Frozen Synapse is mainly a short period strategy game (one scene) and a single objective. Basicly no choice is involved in doing something, you just try to get the red people before they get your green people...

The procedural generation of the scenes I guess could be linked, however I don't find it particularly fascinating, since it has no structure at all most the time. For example a level is random rooms all over the place connected by some of the most weird corridors I have ever seen and random objects in the middle of everything. Unlike subversion where it is trying to imitate real world buildings, outside and as far as we have seen inside...
drakfyre
level1
level1

Postby drakfyre » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:28 pm

I really like Frozen Synapse, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a little turn-based combat. The big difference is scope, as stated by several posters so far. While there will probably be some amount of light combat in Subversion, the goal generally would be to avoid it. Subversion is a "heist" game very much based on scenarios like those found in the movie "Sneakers", with a world construct that ties the individual episodes together, like the variety of different hacking jobs in Uplink. Frozen Synapse is just a combat game and other than the (rather shallow) story in the campaign, there's little correlation to what you are doing from match to match.

Return to “Subversion”