What the heck is Subversion?

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

GuyNoir
level0

What the heck is Subversion?

Postby GuyNoir » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:37 am

I've read through the entire blog and browsed the forums a bit, but I honestly don't have any single clue about what the game will actually be like. I realize it will be a heist game, but what makes it special? Sure, the graphics are nice, but I can't imagine why you would need a fully procedural city generator when you're only playing one level at a time.

Can anyone give a few links to information about the game? Or maybe just a plan of where they plan to go? While the technology is amazing, Subversion needs one specific thing that sets it apart from the others; one innovation.

I heard a reference that (Chris?) doesn't have too much of a plan for the overall game, and is building it mostly on intuition. If you're lacking an overall plan, why not open it up to the community? You don't necessarily have to use the ideas, but it would open up new pathways of thinking you might not have considered that might lead you to an overall goal for the game.

I also have a vague suggestion/warning from my experience with other procedurally based games. While procedural generation is nice, it will not make up for a lack of content. Sure it will build you millions of completely unique cities and buildings, but every one will be functionally similar to the others.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:49 am

Yea, we're on the same level here. If you read all blog posts you kinda know all there is to know, except maybe for some interviews, which wouldn't tell you that much more.

I think at this point Chris has kinda of a clear point where he's heading, and he's just adding stuff I think. But, I've yet to hear what the real innovation is going to be. About the procedural thing, he made that before he had a real plan I think, it's just a nice tool, but I heard they were looking into randomizing levels so that there is more re-playability, gameplay will be the same I guess, but well, you don't wanna do the same level over and over again either ^^.

About the suggestions, there is a stickied topic on the top of this forum, but I don't think he'll look much more into that, unless it's closely related to what he's working on.
skipgamer
level0

Postby skipgamer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:20 am

Considering the eta, and the rate of development, I'm imagining what you see now is pretty close to what it is. Add interface + systems for missions and a very loose storyline with no character development (ala uplink) and possibly some sort of sandbox/multiplayer/editor mode (judging by previous dev diaries, but really who knows, my bet is this feature will end up in a dlc/expansion/sequel) and that's a game.

I mean really looking back at uplink there wasn't an "innovation" (imo gimmick) that sold the game. It sold itself... Same with almost all Introversion's game's really. They just take an idea for a game, add their "twist" and away it goes.

All their games have been innovations in and of themselves if you want to look at it that way.

All this is just in my humble opinion of course, who know's, feature creep could rear it's ugly head and it might not be released for years and what we see now could be a shadow of the finished product. Given however the situation of the business, I hope that's not the case.
Snall
level1
level1

Postby Snall » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:13 am

I think there will be agent skill increase etc, and im REALLY hoping its much more sandbox for replayability...also see the 'multiwinia' of this as being complete awesome.
Vincenty82
level0

Postby Vincenty82 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:10 pm

I am guessing since city and buildings are generated every time you start the game, missions could be generated randomly as well. It would make for game entirely different every time :) Add on top of that twisted story line and the game will be awesomely FTW!
quickdan
level1
level1

Postby quickdan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:59 am

I know IV is not one to force the player to subscribe to a storyline. So, I wonder how the story will be and what it will be like if it exists at all. I agree with you that it is hard to get a sense of what this game is about from the current information that we have about it.
If there were only two games to play in the world, I would choose a text editor and a good C compiler.
Teddy Coalition
level2
level2

Postby Teddy Coalition » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:24 am

I just can't wait till it's available..... until then I'll have to keep myself busy with uplink, defcon & warrock
devinemarko
level0

Postby devinemarko » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:06 pm

I think at this point Chris has a bit on a specific aspect of where it came from, and it is just adding things I think. But I have not heard what the real innovation will be. On procedural matters he did it before, he had a real plan. I think it's a good tool, but I heard they were looking into the randomization levels so that no more re-playability the gameplay is the same I think but hey, you do not want the same levels again and again.

Return to “Subversion”