Big Edge preview for Subversion

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

Larios
level0

Postby Larios » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:51 am

so is the game is planned to be released somewhere in 2011?

http://www.introversion.co.uk/index.html
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:50 pm

That could be 2011, Valve Time.
Clive At Five
level1
level1

Postby Clive At Five » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:08 pm

xander wrote:If you direct your attention to the blog posts, specifically those titled "It's all in your head," you may be able to find several videos that IV has posted.

NeatNit wrote:or just look here (...) One missing part, big deal :P

Aha! It was that one missing part that wasn't showing up in my RSS feed.

Regardless, I'd love to see some gameplay videos. I mean city generation, physics demos, and dynamic music samples are cool and all, but I want to see how the game actually plays so far! (imagine that! ;) )

-Clive
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:01 pm

Introversion in the past have preferred to hide the meat of the game from the unsuspecting public until its pretty much ready to ship. I reckon they will do the same thing here.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am

elexis wrote:Introversion in the past have preferred to hide the meat of the game from the unsuspecting public until its pretty much ready to ship. I reckon they will do the same thing here.

Of course, that also assumes that IV even know what gameplay is going to be like. ;)

Take Darwinia as an example. The original Darwinia was largely a tech demo---how do we get 1000+ sprites on the screen? The original idea was to see if the tech was doable, and gameplay came much later. Looking over the blog posts, I get the impression that Subversion is much the same. Chris is basically building some cool tech (the multi-scale nature of the universe, the procedural generation of the universe, &c.), and gameplay will come near the end. This does not mean that there is no idea about what the gameplay is going to look like, only that it has not actually been implemented, and may be somewhat secondary to the development of the core engine at this point in time.

xander
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:02 pm

Clive At Five wrote:
xander wrote:If you direct your attention to the blog posts, specifically those titled "It's all in your head," you may be able to find several videos that IV has posted.

NeatNit wrote:or just look here (...) One missing part, big deal :P

Aha! It was that one missing part that wasn't showing up in my RSS feed.

Regardless, I'd love to see some gameplay videos. I mean city generation, physics demos, and dynamic music samples are cool and all, but I want to see how the game actually plays so far! (imagine that! ;) )

-Clive
Why not just subscribe to the blog? http://forums.introversion.co.uk/introv ... .php?t=591
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:47 pm

That's the RSS feed he is talking about most likely....
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Oh. I thought the Subversion RSS feed was seperate, but apparently it links to the blog's. :oops:
Clive At Five
level1
level1

Postby Clive At Five » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:53 pm

NeatNit wrote:Oh. I thought the Subversion RSS feed was seperate, but apparently it links to the blog's. :oops:

;)

elexis wrote:Introversion in the past have preferred to hide the meat of the game from the unsuspecting public until its pretty much ready to ship. I reckon they will do the same thing here.

I'd be more inclined to agree if only IV hadn't already shown working demos to at least two audiences already. :D
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:52 pm

Clive At Five wrote:I'd be more inclined to agree if only IV hadn't already shown working demos to at least two audiences already. :D

I'm not sure that they have actually shown any real gameplay in those demos (though I could be wrong). The impression that I get is that they have shown off the physics, procedural generation, and a host of other technology, but that they have not really given anyone a good idea about what the gameplay will actually be like.

xander
g3464123
level0

Postby g3464123 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:12 am

{spam}
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:43 am

Spam reported.
Clive At Five
level1
level1

Postby Clive At Five » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:40 pm

xander wrote:I'm not sure that they have actually shown any real gameplay in those demos (though I could be wrong). The impression that I get is that they have shown off the physics, procedural generation, and a host of other technology, but that they have not really given anyone a good idea about what the gameplay will actually be like.

xander

The article posted by estel implies otherwise!

http://estel.uwcs.co.uk/edge/edge_subversion1.jpg
http://estel.uwcs.co.uk/edge/edge_subversion2.jpg
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Clive At Five wrote:
xander wrote:I'm not sure that they have actually shown any real gameplay in those demos (though I could be wrong). The impression that I get is that they have shown off the physics, procedural generation, and a host of other technology, but that they have not really given anyone a good idea about what the gameplay will actually be like.

xander

The article posted by estel implies otherwise!

http://estel.uwcs.co.uk/edge/edge_subversion1.jpg
http://estel.uwcs.co.uk/edge/edge_subversion2.jpg

I've read the article. This entire topic is about that article. There is really no reason to treat me like an idiot and repost the article as though it completely supports your point of view. If there is something in particular that you would like to point out, perhaps you could quote it?

I see a lot of interesting ideas, but I don't actually see a lot of evidence of a great deal of gameplay. I do see some evidence of a very scripted encounter with a security system, which may or may not reflect the final gameplay of the game. Again, if you read through the blog posts, it seems that much of the core of the game is still in flux---the way that entities interact is still not solidified, the way the player interacts with the game is still being worked on, &c.

Now, perhaps, there is a difference in the way that we use language causing us some semantic issues here. You said "I'd be more inclined to agree if only IV hadn't already shown working demos..." To me, a working demo is a largely complete game, which shows off gameplay, and can be played by, say, a reporter. It might still be a little buggy, but is mostly feature complete, and represents a playable portion of the game. On the other hand, I get the impression that the demos that Chris has give are not even complete up to that level. In order to make it work properly, Chris needs to be at the keyboard to demonstrate how things work.

xander
Clive At Five
level1
level1

Postby Clive At Five » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:44 pm

xander wrote:I've read the article. This entire topic is about that article. There is really no reason to treat me like an idiot and repost the article as though it completely supports your point of view. If there is something in particular that you would like to point out, perhaps you could quote it?

I see a lot of interesting ideas, but I don't actually see a lot of evidence of a great deal of gameplay. I do see some evidence of a very scripted encounter with a security system, which may or may not reflect the final gameplay of the game. Again, if you read through the blog posts, it seems that much of the core of the game is still in flux---the way that entities interact is still not solidified, the way the player interacts with the game is still being worked on, &c.

Now, perhaps, there is a difference in the way that we use language causing us some semantic issues here. You said "I'd be more inclined to agree if only IV hadn't already shown working demos..." To me, a working demo is a largely complete game, which shows off gameplay, and can be played by, say, a reporter. It might still be a little buggy, but is mostly feature complete, and represents a playable portion of the game. On the other hand, I get the impression that the demos that Chris has give are not even complete up to that level. In order to make it work properly, Chris needs to be at the keyboard to demonstrate how things work.

xander

Easy there, sir, there were no implications of idiocy...

I would resolve it to a difference in definitions. I'd call a single scripted heist a "Demo" as opposed to, say, a for-press evaluation copy, which I'd call an alpha or beta (or hell, even "evaluation copy"). I'd say it's fairly safe to assume development is at pre-alpha stages.

Regardless, it's silly to argue definitions when really what I want to say is that I'd be interested in seeing a video of this "scripted heist." ;)

-Clive

Return to “Subversion”