Subversion, Theme/Art

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

Jordy...
level5
level5

Subversion, Theme/Art

Postby Jordy... » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:18 pm

I know about Chris' opinion on game art, he likes it minimalistic and retro/computer, with the focus of a game on the gameplay right?
And sure enough a small company such as IV doesn't have a whole lot of time to spent on art.

But that being said, you cannot deny the effects art and setting has on a gameplay experience, certainly for a single-player game I think.
So therefore I was wondering if we gonna see a "frozen synapse" art-style, simplistic and a bit like upliink? I imagine, or if there will be some proper work done on the art?

What do you think about which art style and story/setting would be nice for this game?

I'm thinking about a grim, grey world, but not with a corrupt regime, cause that would be so CLICHÉ!, tho I can't think of anything better, yet...
firedfns13
level0

Postby firedfns13 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:56 am

I like the graphics that I saw in the wonder love video.
matty406
level0

Postby matty406 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:29 am

I like the sketchy blueprint style myself. Subversion kind of has a colour scheme in place.
zach
level5
level5

Re: Subversion, Theme/Art

Postby zach » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:48 am

Jordy... wrote:So therefore I was wondering if we gonna see a "frozen synapse" art-style, simplistic and a bit like upliink? I imagine, or if there will be some proper work done on the art?

When I first saw Frozen Synapse, I thought "this looks like the Subversion art style".

I'm fairly certain IV are going to stick with the blueprint/plasticesque dudes and dudettes theme. After all, you're the person behind it all, looking at the building plans and office networks and CCTVs.

I doubt the actual art style is getting much of a change before release. I hope it doesn't, as well.
Snall
level1
level1

Postby Snall » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:30 am

I like the art, maybe add some face/body portraits done in pencil/black & white for people/agents.
Jasmine Moldovia
level0

Postby Jasmine Moldovia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:23 pm

I hope they get a true art team on this, and by that, I mean something Warhammer 40k DoW II, or at LEAST the old retro Evil Genius...

I just found out about this game, and I don't know much about it, but I do know, I generally avoid games that don't even bother trying to look good. Flat circles and dots, worked well for the original Nintendo, but we've come a long way sense then.
Yrael
level1
level1

Postby Yrael » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:12 pm

Then you must have missed a bunch of really good games.

Graphics don't make a game - graphics must suit the purpose of the game.
Here, you're the mastermind behind the operations. And the art/color is perfect for it.

I hope, as zach, that it doesn't change much till release. ^^
jocan2003
level0

Postby jocan2003 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:18 am

Jasmine Moldovia wrote:I hope they get a true art team on this, and by that, I mean something Warhammer 40k DoW II, or at LEAST the old retro Evil Genius...

I just found out about this game, and I don't know much about it, but I do know, I generally avoid games that don't even bother trying to look good. Flat circles and dots, worked well for the original Nintendo, but we've come a long way sense then.

THATTTTSSSS it this guy just blew a fuse insde me... true art team, nive graphic, if it doesnt look nice its boring, YOU man IS THE GOD DAMN reason why GAME are DUMBED down.

YOu dont like hoiw it look? you like stuff pretty but devoid of ganeplay? get a fps or go watch a non-intereactive damned movie.....

SOrry but i just cannot live with ppl who say game that are ugly are not fun to play...... I just.. i ......

I gotta stop or else ill drop another fuse.....
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:36 pm

jocan2003 wrote:SOrry but i just cannot live with ppl who say game that are ugly are not fun to play...... I just.. i ......

You really don't think that the art style of a game doesn't have a massive impact on how it plays?

Take Bioshock. As it was it was quite a fun game, but I know I probably would never have finished it without the setting - the game mechanics never really changed throughout. Half the fun of that game for me was exploring this fallen city, knowing there was no way it was going to end well, but willing the city to return to a former glory. Much like a tragedy I suppose. Without the graphics of that game exploring the city would not have been the same and I don't think it would have held anything like the same appeal to me. I bought Bioshock 2 pretty much just so I could explore more of Rapture.

Or even Defcon: a very fun game, definitely would still be as fun to play without the style and the music, but without the music it wouldn't be quite the same joy to play, if that makes sense. The gameplay makes the game, but everything else makes the experience that bit richer. The music set the scene, kept me watching even when I knew I'd lost. The little trails the nukes left, the dull blue outlines, the slowing down of the music with the deep rumbling of the impacts... (10 million happy children!)

I could go on. In summary - ugly games can be fun to play, but I don't think they quite hold the same appeal, definitely not to me. Half the experience of the game is enjoying the world the developers set it in. Darwinia may have appeared simple, but it was a joy to explore, its world was elegant. It wasn't long before I wanted to save the darwinians! Had it been all unlit squares and circles and stuff I care not about, then the game's story would have had almost no effect on me.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:32 pm

I do as well, I'm amongst the few! No I don't.. Yes I do! Really? No not really, or do I?! I DON'T KNOW!!!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:57 pm

It basically comes down to the fact that the graphics need to match the gameplay. Darwinia probably wouldn't have worked with photo-realistic graphics, and Shadow of the Colossus would not have worked without the textures and lighting that are available on the PS2. The quality of a game is not in how good or bad the graphics are, or in how good or bad the gameplay is---the quality of a game is in how well the entire set of interactions between gameplay, sound, graphics, and other elements work together.

IV doesn't have the manpower or money to put out photo-realistic graphics, so they create games that are well suited to the graphics that they can produce. I don't think that they have put out a bad game yet, so it seems to be working for them.

xander
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:47 pm

However, they're very crappy at supporting there games..... just needed to say that..HELLO MW MAP EDITOR!!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:10 am

That's what you get when you mix good games with bad business and when it just so happens time is money.
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:01 pm

I doubt the ingame artstyle will change drasticly, due to introversions size and general preference in graphics. Its also meant that games such as Defcon have aged better than many other games due to the artstyle.

Wether the art outside the game (box, manual, website ect.) will also be minimalistic and dark/blue is hard to say. Defcon's ended up going for a old sepia look, though it in game is also dark/blue minimalistic. This was done so it woudn't look too much like uplink and confuse customers (the non IV hardcore crowd).

So it will be interesting to see how it ends up
- Morten
------------------
RedCell.dk
quickdan
level1
level1

Postby quickdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:38 am

When you are in the heat of battle, or a heist in this case, you aren't looking at how pretty the textures are. You are looking out for your enemy, or your teammate. Graphics are there to support the gameplay which is the whole idea behind games. Does your Scrabble or Monopoly board at home have high-def texture graphics? No, but it's still fun to play. The same goes for video games. People still enjoy playing text-based games, because they get to create the spaces inside their heads. Great games use the graphics to help make the gameplay even better than it would have been, had it not had it. That's why Crysis for most people is not fun, besides the bad story, the graphics are a hindrance to most players as opposed to helping the game.
If there were only two games to play in the world, I would choose a text editor and a good C compiler.

Return to “Subversion”