Subversion, Theme/Art

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:53 am

quickdan wrote:When you are in the heat of battle, or a heist in this case, you aren't looking at how pretty the textures are. You are looking out for your enemy, or your teammate. Graphics are there to support the gameplay which is the whole idea behind games. Does your Scrabble or Monopoly board at home have high-def texture graphics? No, but it's still fun to play. The same goes for video games. People still enjoy playing text-based games, because they get to create the spaces inside their heads. Great games use the graphics to help make the gameplay even better than it would have been, had it not had it. That's why Crysis for most people is not fun, besides the bad story, the graphics are a hindrance to most players as opposed to helping the game.

You think scrabble is more fun than Crysis? Crysis was, performance issues aside, enjoyable imo. It was Far Cry without the annoying in the dark monster bits. Not a good example, especially compared to scrabble :P (upwords > scrabble, any day)
quickdan
level1
level1

Postby quickdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:57 pm

I only threw in Crysis, because for most at the time it came out, it was difficult or near impossible for them to play the game at a high graphics level without their framerate dropping to the 10-15 range. I like having good graphics in games too.
Crysis was, performance issues aside
That's the problem, performance issues aside. I remember playing HL2 on an old 6 year old dell and it ran like a champ. For a large number of people they wouldn't be able to enjoy Crysis without a high-end gaming machine, which in my opinion is a hindrance. Why are people still playing CS 1.6? It's not because of graphics.
If there were only two games to play in the world, I would choose a text editor and a good C compiler.
quickdan
level1
level1

Postby quickdan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:05 am

Graphics in games take up a lot of work, i.e. Artists, Level Designers, Engine Builders, Effects Work, Motion Capture, etc.. Which for an indie developer with only a few people working on the game have to cut off at a point. That's where the importance of procedurally generated programming comes in. How many times have you seen a video game trailer where they showed off the game logic? At this point in video game history, graphics and logic(the heart of a game), imo, are very intertwined and most people would not like to play a spreadsheet. That is the difference between a video game and a board game.
If there were only two games to play in the world, I would choose a text editor and a good C compiler.

Return to “Subversion”