multiplayer?

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

Harle
level1
level1

Postby Harle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:03 am

I'm not?

I said it'd be expensive assuming they used steamworks(or, for that matter, any third-party multiplayer platform). If they don't use steamworks, it wouldn't be.
halcyonforever
level0

multiplayer light.

Postby halcyonforever » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:29 am

I think full multiplayer or MMOG would be a very bad step. What I would like to see is some limited interconnectivity. I am comparing to Uplink as a reference, but the in game news feed and stockmarket react to the players actions as well as some randomly generated ones as well. I would love to have just enough of a connection where if I pulled off a major heist it shows up in my friend's news feed.

Something simple like that, a quasi persistent world without the multiplayer mess.

Also I would recomend if a multiplayer element exists, steamworks is the way to go. Borderlands used gamespy even for the steam release, and it is pulling teeth to get my friends to get connected with a second userid.
krskrft
level0

Postby krskrft » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:59 am

Given that Subversion is a relatively immense game being developed by a barebones team, I don't think there's any way multi-player could be a focus of the game, without being central to it as well. I say, stick with a strong single-player experience, and if you've got the time, tack on a multi-player aspect that allows those interested to set up basic vs. matches. If the game somehow ended up being primarily multi-player, like Defcon, it would be a huge negative for me. But I don't think it will, so ... yay!
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:07 am

SO then if multiplayer is a must, based on xander's previous post, the question is:

How would it work...? 0_o
quickdan
level1
level1

Postby quickdan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:15 am

Maybe multiplayer would be like two teams, could work together cooperatively to completely a really big mission. Or two teams could work against each other, maybe like one working as security for the company, and the other team trying to break in. Or they could both be racing for the same objectives and which ever gets there first or best would win.
If there were only two games to play in the world, I would choose a text editor and a good C compiler.
Tutteman19
level0

Postby Tutteman19 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:19 pm

Perhaps you could have some sort of shared world between a limited group of people. And their teams compete? Racing to break into [insert place] or something like that. But then how does that really work, either there is little actual interaction or there is loads and then it gets complicated.

I'd prefer they get a strong single player game then a mix of a rubbish single player and a rubbish multiplayer.
tel niasa
level1
level1

Postby tel niasa » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:22 am

I think that both Single player and Multiplayer should be included, but the AI shouldn't be too predictable or too strong, it should be 'human'
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:25 pm

tel niasa wrote:but the AI shouldn't be too predictable or too strong, it should be 'human'

Captain Obvious.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
tel niasa
level1
level1

Postby tel niasa » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Montyphy wrote:
tel niasa wrote:but the AI shouldn't be too predictable or too strong, it should be 'human'

Captain Obvious.

Defcon and uplink had predictable and rubbish AI, maybe it isn't as obvious as it seems.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:58 pm

AI concerns, practically in any sp game are my major concerns. IV doesn't have the money nor time or manpower to make a grand story driven videogame, which means re-playability will be key, which will be non-existent if there is a bad AI. I doubt IV can come up with a good AI, seeing there previous games, so I say MP is a must.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:34 pm

tel niasa wrote:
Montyphy wrote:

Captain Obvious.

Defcon and uplink had predictable and rubbish AI, maybe it isn't as obvious as it seems.

Do you think the AI was deliberately designed to be predictable, weak, and computer-like?

Also, AI in Uplink? Really?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:11 am

Montyphy wrote:
tel niasa wrote:
Montyphy wrote:

Captain Obvious.

Do you think the AI was deliberately designed to be predictable, weak, and computer-like?
Wasn't the only AI in Defcon the tutorial AI? Or otherwise generally useless?
In that case, yes
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:22 am

Or at the very least.. they didn't make it a priority, knowing it would suck.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:50 am

Good AI is rare. Or rather, good, human-like AI. Well, perhaps rare is not quite right. Of heard of, perhaps.

Usually, a good AI is one that doesn't obviously cheat. That's really the main weakness of the AI in Defcon and Multiwinia; it plays fair and doesn't understand advanced concepts like "Not defending like a noob", "Not attacking like a noob", "Not advancing like a noob", "Actually reacting to the opponent's moves" and "The Metagame". Multiwinia very kindly even goes out of its way to not act faster than you.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:21 am

Agreed, a good AI is almost impossible, that's why you have close that void with either a good story or MP, since we have moved out of the arcade gaming ages right?

Return to “Subversion”