Prison Architect update 6 released - and NEW GAMES from us

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Prison Architect update 6 released - and NEW GAMES from us

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:19 am

Prison Architect Update 6 has been released. Steam users will be automatically updated. Non-steam users can download the latest version from the builds page here:
http://www.prison-architect.com/builds.html

You need an active forum account to access the builds from our website. If you haven’t already done so, please register your game here to gain access to the builds, the private forums, the bug database and the wiki.
http://www.prison-architect.com/register

TWO BRAND NEW GAME PROTOTYPES
Introducing 'Scanner Sombre' and 'Wrong Wire'

Skip forward to 22 minutes into the video, to see us demonstrate two of our (potentially) upcoming games. These are prototypes we have been developing in secret until now, and will form the basis of whatever comes next after Prison Architect. Please keep in mind that whilst we intend to continue supporting Prison Architect with updates for a very long time, we also intend to make new games, just as we have always done.

We are interested in your thoughts on the new games. Please go here to vote on your favourite:
http://www.introversion.co.uk/vote

PRISON ARCHITECT

= Seasons and Weather
- The game will now move through the seasons, with the outdoor temperature varying based on the time of year.
- Various weather patterns can occur during the game, varying based on the current season.
- Overcast
- Rain
- Torrential rain (Special event, rare)
- Snow and frost
- Heatwave (special event, rare)

- Prisoners needs will be affected by the weather when they are outdoors. Getting rained on will spike their
comfort, clothing and warmth needs.

- Prisoners left outside in extremely cold conditions (for example in an outdoor solitary confinement cage)
can now die of exposure.

- Weather is DISABLED by default in all prisons, and can be enabled when creating a new map.
Alternatively, use the new "Map Settings" screen in the Extras menu.

= Map Settings
You can now adjust the settings of your prison from a new screen called "Map Settings", found in the Extras menu.
This screen lets you enable certain options that may not have been enabled (or even available) when you first created the map.
Nb. You can enable these options, but you cannot disable them once enabled.

Available options:
- Enable Gangs
- Enable Events
- Enable Weather

= Job Prioritisation
- You can now mark any job as a high priority. Simple hold control and either
left click or left drag a selection to mark jobs. Available workers (who aren't
already on a high priority job) will stop what they are doing and be assigned
to the high priority job.

- If no workers are available, high priority jobs will take precedence when the
workers become available. A small icon in the lower right of a visible job shows
if it is marked as a high priority job.

- You can remove the high priority marking on jobs by holding control and either
right clicking or dragging a selection.

- Hovering over an in progress job will now highlight the entity working on it,
showing a red line leading to the worker responsible for the job.

- Pressing F while highlighting an in progress job will cause the camera to follow
the working entity and keep the highlight active.

= Performance Work (continued)
Further performance gains were made this month through several different approaches to optimisation.

- More systems moved to overlap with Render().
- Optimisations to the visible object list builder.
- Singly linked lists mostly replaced with arrays (FastList).
- Avoid copying of containers where possible.
- NeedSystem optimised.

= Bug Fixes
Temperature and lightmap system corruption bug fixed.

- 0010618: [Gameplay] Temperature next to fire is in the negatives
- 0010625: [Gameplay] Temperature drops instantly even in areas that should be producing heat

Stay up to date:
Subscribe to our Blog
Subscribe to our Youtube channel
Follow us on Twitter
Join our mailing list
Follow our twitch.tv livestream - we sometimes code live on twitch
Moritz
level0

Re: Prison Architect update 6 released - and NEW GAMES from

Postby Moritz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:37 pm

Great job with the PA update, I have been hoping for features like this for a while.

Also I must say I am really intrigued by your new games and would love to see them both get more fleshed out.
Nevertheless I would definitely pay money to get my hands on either one right now :D.
I do somewhat prefer Wrong Wire though, with its obvious possibilities for VR and am looking forward to getting more progress updates.

Keep up the great work!
mrxak
level1
level1

Postby mrxak » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:24 pm

The temperature model has not really thrilled me so far in PA, but with the addition of weather, I finally see value in it. I also appreciate another option for executing troublesome prisoners with frozen solitary cells :twisted:

The job prioritization feature is perhaps long overdue, but certainly appreciated and the UX for it seems reasonable.

As for the two new game prototypes...

Scanner Sombre is an interesting concept, but without some kind of game being there, I'm not sure I'd like to see Introversion spend any time on it, at least not yet. I saw nothing in the video that would indicate puzzles or even really any sort of story. I know it's just a tech demo, but before it'd have my (financial) support and my vote, you'd need to really flesh out more of a game for it and prove you've actually got more than just a neat graphics gimmick. Honestly I think there's enough spooky walking simulators out there already, and while the LIDAR is an interesting new take, it's not compelling enough on its own. I'm not particularly impressed when I read interviews with gaming sites saying you think it'd be a 1 hour exploration experience. Make an actual game, and then I'll reconsider.

Wrong Wire actually looks like it'd be fun, with an idea that's ready right now. I'd hope there'd be a lot of different bombs to defuse, and perhaps some kind of modding and/or procedural generation to give it replayability. Attacking LANs in Uplink was a great game experience that I still think about a lot, all these years later. If you can recreate that sort of experience in a new "medium" with Wrong Wire, that'd be really cool. It's also the sort of game that's right up your alley, in terms of simulating complex and detailed systems, so I think people will naturally gravitate towards Wrong Wire when they hear Introversion is the company making it. I could see you getting quite a bit of life out of bombs as a system, just because there's so many different types, and so many different kinds of triggers and mechanism to defeat them. I can also imagine quite a lot of controversy around it, but after Prison Architect I imagine you guys can handle it. When it comes down to it, Wrong Wire is a game I want to play, and Introversion is the only company I think can actually make it.

Now, that said, I wouldn't mind seeing some other prototypes besides those two. Maybe take another few months to work out a few more ideas before you settle on one of these. Introversion is a very creative company, and I'd like to see you try to top these ideas before you go into full production.

As a general note about VR, since I've seen that come up in interviews, too, please don't make any VR-only titles, or make the experience without VR inferior. Whichever game you make next, make it fun without VR, since most of your customers will probably never own a VR rig, at least not this decade. I don't personally know any gamers that think VR is anything but a gimmick right now, or think it will materialize into something worthwhile for many, many years. I'm sure some VR fanboy will jump on me and disagree, but I've seen the current state-of-art and I know what the technical hurdles are probably better than most people, so don't bother trying to convince me. VR may be "the future" but the future isn't here yet. Introversion has expertise in traditional computer gaming, and they should stick with it for now.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:39 pm

mrxak wrote:Wrong Wire actually looks like it'd be fun, with an idea that's ready right now. I'd hope there'd be a lot of different bombs to defuse, and perhaps some kind of modding and/or procedural generation to give it replayability. Attacking LANs in Uplink was a great game experience that I still think about a lot, all these years later. If you can recreate that sort of experience in a new "medium" with Wrong Wire, that'd be really cool. It's also the sort of game that's right up your alley, in terms of simulating complex and detailed systems, so I think people will naturally gravitate towards Wrong Wire when they hear Introversion is the company making it. I could see you getting quite a bit of life out of bombs as a system, just because there's so many different types, and so many different kinds of triggers and mechanism to defeat them. I can also imagine quite a lot of controversy around it, but after Prison Architect I imagine you guys can handle it. When it comes down to it, Wrong Wire is a game I want to play, and Introversion is the only company I think can actually make it.

Well spoken! That is exactly what I came here to write, saw your post and realized it was no longer necessary :D

I also agree on Somber Scanner, Introversion already made a great simulation with no game in it. Didn't work. Although I kinda wish it would have, since it looked awesome ;)
ScifiSpirit
level0

Postby ScifiSpirit » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:01 am

Nice PA update again and congrats for winning the BAFTA \o/
By the way, re-definable controls in Prison Architect would have also been a nice option. It's playable for me with the default controls, but I am using AutoHotkey to give myself a much more comfortable control set-up currently. And as always, modding support can never be too good ;)

About the voting:
I would have liked a 3rd voting option: "Both games" :D
If you would allow a bit more complex voting option, mine would be: If both games are made, I would vote to make the one which you would like to make the most currently.
If only one game gets made, I would pick Wrong Wire, because I've always wanted a singleplayer bomb defusal game, and because I like the detailed simulations of circuits and computer stuff. That's my kind of game definitely. So that is why I voted that one because I can only pick one game.
That said, Scanner Sombre sounds too interesting to not get made :) Especially being made by Introversion, so I wouldn't think it would turn into a walking simulator that has no gameplay in it, even if "experience game" was used to describe it. I think it can be something great, even in simple form.
Pendrokar
level0

About Scanner Sombre

Postby Pendrokar » Sun May 01, 2016 12:14 pm

About Scanner Sombre as a separate thread hasn't been made for the new games.

It is an interesting idea, although you haven't really gotten into what the game would be about. It is also funny as I as a hobby game developer have been wondering about games where the use of visual perception through eyes is not used. It was something I wish Rebellion developers would have gone with in their 3D remake of Atari's Battlezone game, where the atmosphere is so f*****d up that visual feed isn't used at all so instead all is perceived through a variety of sensors, which would have kept the feel of the original instead of making it look like Tron. I don't think you should stop at a depth sensor, instead also add sound sensing(Daredevil), material sensor etc.

I was even making a game for the Venus Project, but they are so determined to make a motion picture that they don't really see the value in the medium. Here my idea was that the player would use an Omni-Tool to scan objects(image), see what they are made of, disintegrate the object in a microwave type device for raw elements and then use those in a 3D printer to create objects. Feel free to use this idea in your game. :roll:

P. S.
But hey, you could always return to Subversion as I feel the reasons you gave to put it on hold were silly. Hitman had the same problem, adding "Silent Assassin" easily fixed your viewed problem.
mrxak
level1
level1

Postby mrxak » Sun May 01, 2016 8:13 pm

Yeah I honestly wouldn't mind them making Subversion, but if they're not willing to do that, I'll take whatever ideas they had from it as separate standalone games (like Wrong Wire).
LennyLeak
level2
level2

Postby LennyLeak » Mon May 02, 2016 2:57 am

I think Wrong Wire looks like it could be so much fun and have a ton of potential. Could be so sweet if it had random elements so each level would be fun to play over and over.
mrxak
level1
level1

Postby mrxak » Mon May 02, 2016 9:40 am

Replayability seems like it'd be a concern for both games, but at least Wrong Wire could potentially have some modding or randomness to it.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:30 am

I voted a few days ago. Now I was just looking if I could somewhere see how many votes each game got so far and I noticed that I can now vote again. That seems wrong, people will abuse systems like that for multi-voting nonstop. :?
dareddevil7
level1
level1

Postby dareddevil7 » Mon May 23, 2016 5:29 pm

They're going to combine wrong wire and scanner, you won't be able to see the bomb parts or the tools and will have to use the scanner to see
Suremposelve
level1
level1

Re: About Scanner Sombre

Postby Suremposelve » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:49 am

Pendrokar wrote:About Scanner Sombre as a separate thread hasn't been made for the new games.

It is an interesting idea, although you haven't really gotten into what the game would be about. It is also funny as I as a hobby game developer have been wondering about games where the use of visual perception through eyes is not used. It was something I wish Rebellion developers would have gone with in their 3D remake of Atari's Battlezone game, where the atmosphere is so f*****d up that visual feed isn't used at all so instead all is perceived through a variety of sensors, which would have kept the feel of the original instead of making it look like Tron. I don't think you should stop at a depth sensor, instead also add sound sensing(Daredevil), material sensor etc.

I was even making a game for the Venus Project, but they are so determined to make a motion picture that they don't really see the value in the medium. Here my idea was that the player would use an Omni-Tool to scan objects(image), see what they are made of, disintegrate the object in a microwave type device for raw elements and then use those in a 3D printer to create objects. Feel free to use this idea in your game. :roll:

P. S.
But hey, you could always return to Subversion as I feel the reasons you gave to put it on hold were silly. Hitman had the same problem, adding "Silent Assassin" easily fixed your viewed problem.

I have not discovered new games for a long time, because I simply do not have enough time. When there is a free minute, I can hang out in csgo with my friends. Also from time to time I look at the platform https://usaskin.club/en/missions, with the help of which I get cool skins for weapons.

Return to “Introversion Blog”