Prison Architect Alpha 36

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Prison Architect Alpha 36

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:41 am

Alpha 36 has been released! Here is our video demonstrating the new features:

This is the last ever alpha video for Prison Architect, and we will be launching version 1.0 in October. But fear not! We are planning to continue the cycle of monthly updates beyond version 1.0, including new videos to go with each update each month.

Here are our new features:

= Random event system
Random incidents, disasters and challenges will occur during your game, providing extra difficulty and unpredictability.
This is an optional system, and is enabled from the "Create new prison" screen.

- Events will not happen during riots, or if you have less than 50 prisoners on site
- Events are less likely if there have been deaths and escapes recently.
- Sometimes, rarely, several events may occur at once.
- All events have an EXTREME version, which is very rare, and much more severe.

- POWER STATION FIRE
Your power station catches fire. Can only occur if your powerstation is overloaded.
EXTREME version: Your power station explodes, damaging buildings/equipment/people nearby.

- KITCHEN FIRE
A cooker in the kitchen catches fire. This can cause havok with your mealtime arrangements!
We recommend you build sprinkler systems in key areas to mitigate this.

- BULK INTAKE
A random number of prisoners will be transferred into your facility within the next hour.
EXTREME version: All of the prisoners belong to the same gang, and you are probably fucked.

- WORKSHOP ACCIDENT
A prisoner injures himself on the equipment in the workshop, and requires medical attention.
Prisoners injured this way get the "Bleeding" status effect. Get them to a doctor quick!

- SUBSIDENCE
A random section of your wall or fence collapses. Get it rebuilt before we have a mass escape!
We always recommend double outer walls, and this gives yet another good reason.

- VIRUS
A prisoner comes down with a highly contagious virus. The virus will spread to nearby inmates, so try to isolate them.
Prisoners suffering from this virus will look sickly, move slowly, and vomit a lot. Some will fall unconcious.
Your guards will try to take confirmed cases to the infirmary for cure.
Some inmates will go to the infirmary themselves, but only when they are let out their cells.
EXTREME version: Some prisoners will eventually die from the virus if left untreated.

- MASS ASSASSINATION
You discover that several inmates at your prison are federal witnesses in an upcoming prosecution.
Unfortunately, somebody has put a price on their heads and they will all be assassinated in the next few hours.
Find out who there are (using your Confidential Informants), and get them moved to Protected Custody.
Once the timer hits zero, they will all leave the prison to attend the court hearing, and will not return.
(Most likely living out their lives in federal witness protection, holding their breath every time they start their cars)

- CITY MAYOR DEMANDS
The Mayor is under political pressure to appear to be doing the right thing.
He will from time to time phone you and demand certain changes to your prison, in the public interest.
The demand is always temporary - after a few days, things return to normal.
However Failure to comply will result in a heavy fine.

- TV Removal Due to public pressure, all TVs must be removed
- Weights Removal Due to public pressure, all Weights Benches must be removed
- Less Food Provide smaller meals with less variety, to try to save on costs
- Remove Visitation For security reasons, all visitation must be halted

- PRISONER DEMANDS
From time to time the prisoners in your facility become so frustrated that they demand changes.
It's your choice to comply or not, but the prisoners will not be happy if you refuse.

- Less Work Prisoners wish to work for less hours during the day
- More Sleep Prisoners want longer to sleep at night
- More Free Time Prisoners want more free time during the day

- Logs will now be automatically exported, unless EITHER
- You have at least one carpenters table
- OR You have a running carpentry program
Nb. This obviously requires an Exports zone near the road.

- The CEO's letter is now made of a graphic and a (localisable) string in the language file.
This should make it much easier to translate into multiple languages.

= Bug Fixes
- 0009322: [AI & Behaviour] The mere presence of a shop is stopping prisoners from wanting to do carpentry (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009713: [Other] Crash after Assertion failed : 'index < m_numItems' (John) - resolved.
- 0009842: [Gameplay] CRASH: The attached savegame crashes within minutes (John) - resolved.
- 0009701: [Gameplay] Fatal error with lots of dead bodys stuck. (John) - resolved.
- 0009623: [Control & User Interface] Weird Mini-Sectors in doorways (John) - resolved.
- 0000515: [Graphics] Garbage bag sprite overlays garbage bin sprite (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009806: [Mod System] Lua scripting: .GetNearbyObjects() range values are strings, not numbers (elDiablo) - resolved.
- 0009716: [Mod System] Lua scripting: this.SubType is always type string, even if I specifically set it to a number (elDiablo) - resolved.
- 0009499: [Graphics] Phone taps and Filling Cabinets bug (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009559: [Graphics] Layering (z-index) issue with outdoor lights and trees (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009543: [Graphics] Layering (z-index) issue with door control and filing cabinet against wall (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009588: [Graphics] Layering (z-index): light vs. sprinkler flickering (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009589: [Graphics] Layering (z-index): light vs. cctv camera (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009709: [Graphics] Layering (z-index) issue: lights vs. road gate pillar (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009647: [Save & Load] Save crash! (John) - resolved.
- 0009715: [Mod System] Lua scripting: this.SubType is -1 if accessed during Create() function (elDiablo) - resolved.
- 0009585: [Other] Assertion failed : 'm_cellCache.ValidIndex( newCachedIndex )' (John) - resolved.
- 0006776: [Save & Load] Fatal error during load save file. (John) - resolved.
knoest26
level5
level5

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 36

Postby knoest26 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:20 pm

was kinda hoping for bunkbeds at least :(
Fahrenheit
level0

Postby Fahrenheit » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:15 pm

We all are waiting for game optimization which can help to speed up a game with HUNDREDS of prisoners.
If this will never be made - I'm happy that didn't buy this game.
dragonsdoom
level0

Postby dragonsdoom » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:26 pm

How exciting - random events are going to be fantastic!
jniemin
level0

Postby jniemin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:46 pm

Are death row gang members now doing their appeals?
WiseWoodrow
level2
level2

Postby WiseWoodrow » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:07 pm

Fahrenheit wrote:We all are waiting for game optimization which can help to speed up a game with HUNDREDS of prisoners.

I'd like to apologize for the PA team that your computer is a potato.

I suggest you upgrade this potato, and while at it, perhaps contemplate why it's probably unlikely that they won't optimize more in the future.

(And no, we 'all' are not waiting for that)
jniemin
level0

Postby jniemin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:22 pm

jniemin wrote:Are death row gang members now doing their appeals?

Just going to answer my own question: yes, it works now. Thank you.
plus347
level0

Postby plus347 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:31 pm

great job ! But when will you fix lag issue? I have 750 prisoners and I bought 6-7 lands. Game is running turtle race... :cry:
Kolchak
level2
level2

Postby Kolchak » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:33 pm

A few questions about the future:
- I assume there will be more content with v.1 launch in October?
- After that, will it be entirely optimization (traditional beta/post-release) or might beta include adding a few pieces of content which tie-up loose ends?
- A good example to differentiate would be anti-gang programs. If they aren't in v.1, does that mean they aren't being done, or might they be added in a bets to 'finish' gangs?
Seth2697
level1
level1

Postby Seth2697 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:04 am

Do we need to start a new prison for random events or is there a way i can just add in a line or something to my save?
Fahrenheit
level0

Postby Fahrenheit » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:10 am

WiseWoodrow wrote:
Fahrenheit wrote:We all are waiting for game optimization which can help to speed up a game with HUNDREDS of prisoners.

I'd like to apologize for the PA team that your computer is a potato.

I suggest you upgrade this potato, and while at it, perhaps contemplate why it's probably unlikely that they won't optimize more in the future.

(And no, we 'all' are not waiting for that)

My "potato" withstand theft auto 5 (not an advertisement) without any lags. But PA acceleration x3 is like a real time: 1 minute ingame = 1 sec of real life with just 300 prisoners and 150 staff.
I play this game from the Alpha 8 and the only obstacle for purchase is such awful speed (though "potato" have a lot of free resources!). The game is good but I have to wait for 7-8 minutes of night in game, doing other things.
Firstly I thought it's only my "potato", but I saw earlier complains of other players. And every alpha I wait for optimization. Now it's time for release.
Maybe I'm not right, than please advise me how to accelerate this game - and I will be one more customer of this really interesting project. And this will be useful not only for me for sure.

Seth2697 wrote:Do we need to start a new prison for random events or is there a way i can just add in a line or something to my save?

EnabledEvents true
Deville
level1
level1

Postby Deville » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:14 pm

Kinda disappointing that cell grading still is not opt-out like gangs or events.
Crazykilla151
level0

Postby Crazykilla151 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:07 pm

gangs and events are opt-IN, as in disabled by default, and you have to choose to get them.
ronnie4444
level1
level1

Postby ronnie4444 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:34 pm

Fahrenheit wrote:My "potato" withstand theft auto 5 (not an advertisement) without any lags. But PA acceleration x3 is like a real time: 1 minute ingame = 1 sec of real life with just 300 prisoners and 150 staff.
I play this game from the Alpha 8 and the only obstacle for purchase is such awful speed (though "potato" have a lot of free resources!). The game is good but I have to wait for 7-8 minutes of night in game, doing other things.
Firstly I thought it's only my "potato", but I saw earlier complains of other players. And every alpha I wait for optimization. Now it's time for release.
Maybe I'm not right, than please advise me how to accelerate this game - and I will be one more customer of this really interesting project. And this will be useful not only for me for sure.

It's quite a shame, really.

I can run a 460 prisoner/350 staff prison on my AMD A6 laptop at 25 FPS.

It runs at 45FPS on my gaming laptop, Intel i7 4510U/NVidia 840M GeForce.

I have a feeling that you are exaggerating about being able to run a 3D graphics-intensive open world game faster than you can run a 2D top-down prison builder.

EDIT: My point is as follows: Prison Architect does not need any more optimizations - It has already had several updates with massive performance improvements. Go buy a good computer before complaining that prison architect doesn't run well on your potatoware.
tandpastatester
level0

Postby tandpastatester » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:34 pm

- Logs will now be automatically exported, unless EITHER
- You have at least one carpenters table
- OR You have a running carpentry program
Nb. This obviously requires an Exports zone near the road.

Does anyone understand what this means, and what is changed in the game? Since the last update it seems less wood is being cut by my workshop, and more wood is being directly exported from the forestry. This results in less profits, and more clogging in the delivery/export zone since there are so many small stacks of logs to be carried into trucks.

I do have a couple of carpentry tables AND a carpentry program but still only a small bit of the forestry is sent to the workshop to be cut. Before, I remember all wood was being cut before sold which raised the value of the wood even without using carpentry.

Return to “Introversion Blog”