Prison Architect Alpha 24

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Citizen
level2
level2
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 am

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby Citizen » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:57 am

xander wrote:Knuth famously advised against premature optimization. Same thing here: premature bugfixing is generally counter-productive



As is pre-mature modding. We are in alpha. No need to mod just yet. All anyone has to do is watch the blog video and they will know, this update was all about modding. End of story. To suggest otherwise is just spin.
Heffernan
level1
level1
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby Heffernan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:02 pm

with this modding system..... can anyone mod the game to be stable and have less then 1000 memory leaks so my prison doesnt lagg that much on my high end computer?
User avatar
NeatNit
level5
level5
Posts: 2929
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Israel
Contact:

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby NeatNit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Citizen wrote:
xander wrote:Knuth famously advised against premature optimization. Same thing here: premature bugfixing is generally counter-productive



As is pre-mature modding. We are in alpha. No need to mod just yet. All anyone has to do is watch the blog video and they will know, this update was all about modding. End of story. To suggest otherwise is just spin.


Mods aren't hurting anyone, they give the community a lot of opportunity to keep themselves busy while waiting for the next release. They help to keep the interest up.
Suthek
level1
level1
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby Suthek » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:04 am

NeatNit wrote:
Citizen wrote:
xander wrote:Knuth famously advised against premature optimization. Same thing here: premature bugfixing is generally counter-productive



As is pre-mature modding. We are in alpha. No need to mod just yet. All anyone has to do is watch the blog video and they will know, this update was all about modding. End of story. To suggest otherwise is just spin.


Mods aren't hurting anyone, they give the community a lot of opportunity to keep themselves busy while waiting for the next release. They help to keep the interest up.


Well, I suppose the worries that the folks speaking out against (or at least not in favor) for the modding system that early is that the game itself is still in development, and giving the people similar power to the devs themselves this early (when it comes to content creation, at least) could lead to

  1. The devs neglecting a certain feature because "there's already a mod for it" and (part of) the community nagging about that, or
  2. The devs implementing a certain feature and (part of) the community nagging that "there's already a mod for it" and that they could/should have spent their time with something else instead.
The problem is that those two instances are complementary and complete under the prerequisite that a mod exists for a certain feature, so no matter wether the devs do or don't, they'd be getting one section of the community riled up. Talk about frying pans and fires.

In the end...it all comes down to the community. As far as I recall, the devs already have a good vision for their game, which they will implement continuously, so the first instance probably won't ever come to pass, and with the second instance, it's all up to us to be calm and reasonable. I personally think we can do it, at least here on the forums (no idea about Steam Community), so I'm not particularly worried about the modding system being implemented this early; in the end, it will never take anything away from the game, only add. But I do understand those that are worried.
kingpin12345
level0
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby kingpin12345 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:06 pm

I agree with Citizen about you not working on the modding system till after the full release. I also agree that a tablet edition of the game should be saved till later on, unless you have a seperate team to work on the tablet edition like Mojang AB who have two teams, one working on the pc edition and one working on the pocket and console editions.
User avatar
HookerHeels
level1
level1
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:23 am
Location: Texarkana, Texas.

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby HookerHeels » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Is the A24 download on the build list the 24c patch? Data is slow on mobile and I don't really want to download the same version for an hour.

-Edit-
Downloading it now. They really should post notes about these things.
dibley1973
level1
level1
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby dibley1973 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:17 pm

Is there a post somewhere that details all of the objects that are available somewhere for modding.

Also...
  • Are there any tutorials on how to set up a new room type?
  • Can you affect a prisoners concentration level after they have performed an action in your mod?
  • How do you know what ID to give your mod in the manifest file?
  • How do you find out what your Steam Author ID is?
Thanks.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16861
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby xander » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:46 pm

dibley1973 wrote:Is there a post somewhere that details all of the objects that are available somewhere for modding.

Also...
  • Are there any tutorials on how to set up a new room type?
  • Can you affect a prisoners concentration level after they have performed an action in your mod?
  • How do you know what ID to give your mod in the manifest file?
  • How do you find out what your Steam Author ID is?
Thanks.

Yes to most of your questions, though in various states of completion and detail. Please refer to the Prison Architect modding subforum.

xander
User avatar
RGeezy911
level5
level5
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Pᴇɴɴsʏʟᴠᴀɴɪᴀ, USA
Contact:

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby RGeezy911 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi dibley1973,

As xander mentioned, the modding sub-forum is where to go if you have mod related questions.

As for the FILEID and AUTHORID, the Steam Workshop assigns one to you once you upload / publish the file.

Cheers!
mazetar
level2
level2
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:14 am

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby mazetar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Citizen wrote:
xander wrote:Knuth famously advised against premature optimization. Same thing here: premature bugfixing is generally counter-productive

As is pre-mature modding. We are in alpha. No need to mod just yet. All anyone has to do is watch the blog video and they will know, this update was all about modding. End of story. To suggest otherwise is just spin.


It's actually very good that they started working on the modding system this early, it will result in faster development of features in the long run.
They would have to refactor the crap out of the engine in order to move away from the horribly hard coded system, and yes that makes it easy to add a modding system but it also makes development much easier for the programmers.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16861
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby xander » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:49 pm

mazetar wrote:They would have to refactor the crap out of the engine in order to move away from the horribly hard coded system, and yes that makes it easy to add a modding system but it also makes development much easier for the programmers.

Exactly this. It can't be said enough---the really interesting thing is not the addition of modding for players, but the code refactor that will make it simpler for Chris to add new features.

xander
totte1015
level1
level1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby totte1015 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:57 pm

How do I recruit them?
Is it automatic?
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16861
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby xander » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:43 pm

totte1015 wrote:How do I recruit them?
Is it automatic?

It is not automatic. Highly suppressed prisoners have a chance of turning CI. If you have a highly suppressed prisoner who is willing to turn pigeon, you can select the prisoner and recruit them.

xander
totte1015
level1
level1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Prison Architect Alpha 24

Postby totte1015 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:13 pm

xander wrote:
totte1015 wrote:How do I recruit them?
Is it automatic?

It is not automatic. Highly suppressed prisoners have a chance of turning CI. If you have a highly suppressed prisoner who is willing to turn pigeon, you can select the prisoner and recruit them.

xander


Thanks alot!
Shortly after posting (of corse) a guy was highlighted and i pressed him, and I could recruit him.

Although, everyone I have as a CI, should I instantly put them as Protective custody?

Return to “Introversion Blog”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests