You need an active forum account to access the builds from our website. If you haven’t already done so, please register your game here to gain access to the builds, the private forums, the bug database and the wiki.
Here is our video demonstrating the new features:
It’s been another massive month, with several major successes. This month we tackled one of our big end game features : prisoner reform. You can now run prisoner reform programs which aim to train, educate and reform your inmates. Reform programs are expensive to run, take a long time to complete, and the success rates are often very low unless your prisoners are very well taken care of. Some bring substantial benefits to your prison and the inmates that take part, others are a longer term investment in your prisoners that may provide little short term benefit.
All prisoners must now complete a workshop safety induction, or a kitchen hygiene program, before they are permitted to work in the workshop and kitchen. We felt it was unrealistic that you could just dump 20 brand new prisoners into a dangerous workshop with heavy machinery and have them start stamping out number plates. Violent prisoners can be sent to the prison psychologist for some anger management. And the more academically minded of your inmates (maybe those convicted of fraud or computer crime can work towards new education qualifications in the new classroom. The teachers are a new type of staff member that you do not hire directly - instead they come in from the outside every day to teach their course, then go home in the evenings.
Once prisoners are trained and working in the workshop, you can put the most skilled of them through a carpentry apprenticeship. Once completed these prisoners will be able to make high quality wooden furniture on the new carpenters table. This furniture can be sold for increased profits on the raw materials. In future alphas we’ll be making use of this furniture.
We have continued to expand the armoury originally introduced in alpha 17. You can now unlock tazers for your armed guards, and eventually issue them to all the guards and dog handlers in your prison. These are non lethal weapons that instantly incapacitate a prisoner without causing any damage, however they can only be fired once before needing a full hour to recharge. Perfect when a prisoner is smashing up his cell, not so great when outnumbered in a riot. We have also added new stab vests to the armoury, which give your guards extra protection in a fight, but slow down their movement as well.
There’s lots more in the full change list below. We hope you enjoy the new features, and we will see you all in a month with alpha 19. Thanks!
Full change list
Code: Select all
= Reform and training programs
You can now run daily programs to train, educate and reform your prisoners
These are administered from the new "Programs" tab in the reports interface
Each program runs during a scheduled time during the day, and costs money per session
Different programs provide different benefits to you and the prisoner
Prisoners may only take part in one program at a time, and may only attend one session in that program per day
Most programs are voluntary. Prisoners will be less likely to volunteer for programs if they are badly treated
Available reform programs:
- Foundation education program
- General Education qualification
- Workshop Safety Induction <- required to work in the Workshop
- Carpentry Apprenticeship
- Kitchen Safety and Hygiene <- required to work in the kitchen
- Behavioural Therapy
- Prisoners must now complete the workshop safety / kitchen safety courses before they can work in those rooms
- New : Classroom / School desk / Teacher
You require a functioning classroom before you can begin educating your prisoners
The teacher is an external freelancer who will enter your jail to teach his class, then will leave when done
Some prisoners have more affinity for academic topics than others.
In addition, the level of concentration of your prisoners is a major factor on their chances of success
(Prisoners concentrate best when all of their needs have been taken care of)
- New : Carpenters table
Prisoners who have a natural afinity for practical work can attempt the Carpentry Apprentiship.
If successful they will be able to use the new carpenters table in the workshop
They will use stacks of Wood to produce high quality furniture (currently a high quality wooden bed)
Full production chain : [Gardener] -> Tree -> [Cutdown] -> Logs -> [Saw] -> Wood -> [Carpenters table] -> Furniture
- Behavioural Therapy is run by the prison psychologist
Prisoners are automatically referred to this program if they behave violently within your jail
Prisoners who successfully complete the Behavioural Therapy program are less likely to cause trouble in future
= Prisoner experience
Experience is now being recorded for all prisoners during their stay in your prison
You can view this data by clicking on them to bring up their rap sheet, then click the new "Experience" tab
- Activity : Shows the breakdown of their time within your prison, and what they were doing during that time
- Mood : Shows the amount of time spent in a good / bad / neutral mood. This is a simplification but a useful one.
- Condition : Shows how long the prisoner has been suppressed, injured etc.
- You can also see the progress of their current reform program - their attendance and chance of "passing" the program
- All programs completed are listed at the bottom of this page, showing if they passed of failed the program
= Armoury upgrades
You can now purchase additional weapons and equipment once you have an armoury on site.
Your guards must return to the armoury to pick up their new equipment as you unlock it,
and there is a cost to pay per item equipped.
- Body Armour : Available to all guards, armed guards and dog handlers.
Absorbs 50% of all damage taken, but slows down your guards by 30%
You must pay an additional $100 per guard for body armour.
- Tazers : Available for all Armed Guards.
This is a non lethal weapon which instantly incapacitates the target, without causing any damage.
Can only be fired once, then the battery must recharge before it can be used again (1 hour recharge time)
There is a cost of $400 per tazer to be paid as the armed guards collect their new equipment.
Note: Armed guards will use their shotguns instead as soon as you give the "weapons free" order
- Tazer Rollout : Equips all guards and dog handlers with Tazers as well as your armed guards.
There is a cost of $400 per tazer to be paid as the guards collect their new equipment.
- User Interface scaling
Work continues to make the game scale correctly to any resolution and any size of display
The is now a 'UI Scale' override setting to adjust the size of all onscreen elements to your taste
Use the PLUS and MINUS keys to adjust this value in game, or edit it directly in preferences.txt
- The rooms toolbar now shows the number of each room type that already exist
- The fog of war effect is no longer rendered into timelapse videos
- Status effects like Suppression no longer cause such massive drops in walking speed
- Visitation will now come to an end immediately during a riot or a bangup
- You can now build utilities under the road : Electrical cable, Small pipes, Large pipes
- Tweaked the routing system - entities should get stuck on walls much less frequently
- Fixed : Sometimes very small Laundries / Cleaning Cupboards would not show up in the Deployment/Jobs screen,
meaning you could not assign prisoners to them even though they were perfectly valid rooms
- Fixed : Armed guards now (sometimes) shout warnings at inmates before firing,
unless those inmates are attacking staff or about to escape
- Fixed : Face-in-the-game entries are now sorted to the top of the community biographies list
- Fixed : Sun shadows on trees were sometimes rendered much too large
- Fixed : Dogs were unwilling/unable to enter staff only zones
- Fixed : You can no longer build road gates over lakes, or at the edge of the map
- Fixed : Actors no longer get tired (Eg edward, his guards etc)
Stay up to date:
Subscribe to our Blog
Subscribe to our Youtube channel
Follow us on Twitter
Join our mailing list
Follow our twitch.tv livestream - we sometimes code live on twitch