Darwinia+ : was it worth it?

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:50 pm

If you mean this:
The horrific loss of life in such a short period of time, and the very concept of Darwinians fighting and killing their own kin, makes it particularly potent for me.
Then I'm not sure but I think it's intended. (taken from the PC version)

[size=0]$5 says xander will be annoyed after reading this post[/size]
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:46 pm

No, I'm talking about:

You've found the Airstrike! Now your squads can through Airstrike markers.

Or something like that, I'm paraphrasing. Either way it should say 'throw' but it says 'through'.

:P
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Playing it makes me want to play the original game here on the PC because of the modding capabilities that I miss so much.

Still, it's fantastic that I now have a separate edition to play which is lag-free.

A decision I won't regret. Thanks Introversion!
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:41 pm

jelco wrote:Perhaps because it's perfectly correct English?

Jelco
I know, but I still expected the word 'kind' to go there instead. 'Kin' doesn't feel right.
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:24 am

NeatNit wrote:
jelco wrote:Perhaps because it's perfectly correct English?

Jelco
I know, but I still expected the word 'kind' to go there instead. 'Kin' doesn't feel right.

Not a singer of Christmas carols then? ;)

Kin means family, while Kind means race, so both are appropriate.
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:12 am

Kin actually probably makes more sense there than kind. Kin indicates a much closer relationship than kind---kind is generally taken to be species or, at worst, some concept of race. Kin indicates a close, familial, clan, or moiety relationship. Your kin are close family, like brothers, sisters, and cousins. It would be far more appalling that the DGs are attacking their own kin than their own kind (even though they are basically one and the same by the end of Darwinia).

xander
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:04 pm

shinygerbil wrote:So where do we go to post spelling mistakes we've found in the game?! ;)
Where do we go to point out that you can't not recomplete Garden in exactly 0:00:00?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:56 pm

While we're randomly reporting bugs, sometimes you start a quick game in MW, no running game is found, you get to host one, and the settings are non-default. Like a five minute timeout on a ten minute map. So you're auto-hosting a custom game nobody can auto-join.

And also, sometimes that auto-hosting leaves you on a two player map, but four player slots are shown.
arwin
level1
level1

Re: Darwinia+ : was it worth it?

Postby arwin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:51 pm

Chris wrote:So, we did it.
Our first Mac port of Uplink was a total nightmare project, fraught with all kinds of technical problems, and now many years later Subversion already compiles and runs beautifully on my Macbook Pro, with hardly any effort on my part. The only way to get good at these hard problems is to do them, learn from the mistakes, and get better at doing them.

My question is does Subversion compile on Linux (Ubuntu) ? I loved Darwinia and one reason was that I could run it on my Linux computers. I do know it doesn't make economical sense at the moment to support Linux, but if things compile on Mac I would expect them to compile on Linux as well.

Keep up the excellent work!

Hopefully there will be some more blogs about Subversion now?
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:53 pm

The demo contained a minor bug in the "advanced tutorial" on pursuit of victory. When I made my armour, the tutorial prompted me to fill it up. Spawns stopped sending reinforcments, and all my multiwinians were in the middle island, so I couldnt send them back to my home island. I had 4 spare multiwinians, and they climbed into the armour, but it still wanted me to fill it up. I couldnt continue to the rest of the tutorial, so I quit the tutorial after minutes of trying to find a solution :(

Otherwise, love the heatwave explosions and water reflectivity!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:06 am

Mas Tnega wrote:
shinygerbil wrote:So where do we go to post spelling mistakes we've found in the game?! ;)
Where do we go to point out that you can't not recomplete Garden in exactly 0:00:00?
Several maps seem to have that problem. For garden, I got zero completion time just by entering with the AccessAllAreas profile.

Also, in the Multiwinia bit, can it be that there is no start position randomization? That, if you play the same map with the same people again right away in the same Live network session, you start in the same spot?

Return to “Introversion Blog”