350g / 12oz plain flour
175g / 6oz light soft brown sugar
100g / 4oz butter
1 medium egg
4 tablespoons of golden syrup
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon of ground ginger
10 Digital Souls (approx)

Put the flour, butter, ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl. Mix it all together with fingertips until crumbly. Add sugar, syrup and egg and mix until it forms a firm pastry mix. Add Digital Souls, any excess souls return to the Soul Repository.

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4

Using the rolling pin, roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick (thinner for Darwinian's). Make sure the surface and the rolling pin are well dusted with flour. Cut out the Darwinian with a knife and/or pastry cutter.

Place the cut out pastry on a greased or non-stick baking tray.

Put the baking trays in the pre-heated oven. Remove after 15 minutes (check after 10 minutes).
Last edited by desktopsimmer on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:26 pm

I wonder if you could make a battenberg darwinian cake and slice officer thick slices off? :D
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:31 pm

Darwinian cut pancakes??
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:20 pm

Why not cut a turkey breast into the shape of a Darwinian and then have it sliced really thin?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:53 pm

don't they have faces in ham slices?
tabasco boy
level5
level5

Postby tabasco boy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:12 pm

crikey those tins are unbelievably massive. i hope they pass inspection when getting shipped here in the states as customs and border patrols are kinda strict these days and i'm sure they'll do anything in their power to get a hold of one especially xmas is just around the corner :wink:
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:48 pm

I've just bought the ingredients... Pictures tomorrow.

P.S. last time I made gingerbread person (it's all gone PC here) it was over 25 years ago...
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:50 am

KingAl wrote:
Kuth wrote:It is good to see the return of the "Big Boxes" of games that were retired sometime around 2000. I miss those big computer game boxes... I was always exited to see the goodies that were in them. I thought bigger manuals were awesome also.

Nah, the big boxes were totally excessive; losing several hundred litres of potential space just because no-one realised that you don't need an A4 box to store a single CD is not a good thing. Special editions are a different matter entirely, of course :)
While I used to love those "Big Boxes", and I lamented their death as heradeld by the arrival of DVD cases, it's good that I don't have too many lying around, as they do take up a lot of space :P

Good manuals I also miss. Anyone remember the original manual to Homeworld? Now that was a manual. :D
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:01 am

shinygerbil wrote:While I used to love those "Big Boxes", and I lamented their death as heradeld by the arrival of DVD cases, it's good that I don't have too many lying around, as they do take up a lot of space :P

Good manuals I also miss. Anyone remember the original manual to Homeworld? Now that was a manual. :D

I really miss unique copy protection ideas. Dial-a-pirate anyone? How about Mix'n'Mojo Voodoo Ingredients Proportion? Good times...

NeoThermic
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:06 am

Good manuals I also miss. Anyone remember the original manual to Homeworld? Now that was a manual. Very Happy

As a foaming-at-the-mouth rabid Homeworld fan, I can completely agree with you. Not only did it have awesome information and back story, but it totally played up one of the early and devastating plot points during the game.

The Homeworld 2 manual was more of an afterthought though :(

Nah, the big boxes were totally excessive; losing several hundred litres of potential space just because no-one realised that you don't need an A4 box to store a single CD is not a good thing. Special editions are a different matter entirely, of course Smile

But that space wasn't lost- it was replaced by awesome.

I have two of the old boxes from my favorite games mounted to a corkboard, despite their age. The first is the Homeworld GOTY edition. The other is Outpost 2 from '94. I seem to have misplaced my Darwinia case though. But it was tiny and didn't deserve much love.

But at least my Multiwinia case will feel much love when I return to my campus for the coming quarter.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:22 am

Of all the boxed games I have, and I have a fair few, big ans bigger, I can sort them into three catagories, 1: Games with big cases because the games were on a pile of floppy a'd that took up a lot of physical space (noteably the original X-wing). 2: Games with a cd and a whopping big manual (AoE2, EE2) 2: Games with big boxes that only contain a single cd in a sleeve.

#2 is my favourite, cant wait for Multiwinia
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:16 am

The only boxed sets I have kept are the first one I bought which was Syndicate (first game I bought) and Syndicate American Revolt. The other set(s) I kept are the Jane's Simulators, gawd, those manuals are beefy. All my floppies are sorted in a box. CD games in Jewel case and manuals are in two very big old suitcases. Some of the CD Games sit behind me on a shelf (probably only 10% of my game collection). most floppies I've archived to a DVD disk (folder sorted). Everyone in a awhile I fireup DOSBOX and install a golden oldie. My current DOSBOX partition is 5GB of old DOS games. (not including ISO images)
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:26 am

Sadly all of our floppies have passed beyond... to silicon heaven.

I still have the manual for it, but I wish I still had the floppies for Star Trek 25th anniversary edition. You may laugh, but through that game, I learned how to read.

I wouldn't mind having the X-Wing disks back either. Though I sucked back in the day, I'm sure presently I could be the scourge of the Imperial forces now. :)

Return to “Introversion Blog”