It's all in your head, Part 8

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:36 pm

jasonh1234 wrote:
KingAl wrote:There's been plenty of updates! They were posted in subsequent numbered threads. I guess you must've bookmarked this one a long time ago and missed them?

Awesome thanks! Yeah you're right I did. Glad you weren't a troll about it.

Haha. Wow. Not spam!

Sorry, but your post seemed quite generic, and not's not uncommon for necromancy of this nature just to be spam.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:02 pm

My theory on that matter is that those spambots are actively trying to pass as idiotic humans. Necromancy is just one facet of that. Posting generic useless stuff or eerily off-topic stuff and having lots of numbers in their name are others. (No offence to the random human gravedigger indended.)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:21 am

jasonh1234 wrote:
KingAl wrote:There's been plenty of updates! They were posted in subsequent numbered threads. I guess you must've bookmarked this one a long time ago and missed them?

Awesome thanks! Yeah you're right I did. Glad you weren't a troll about it.

I'm glad you're not a spam bot, but all the warning signs were there -- a generic post bumping an old thread, '1234' in your account name, asking for information readily available with a little initiative, etc. It was against my better judgement to reply at all, but in the offchance that you were someone who actually needed help I posted. A troll is someone being deliberately abrasive in order to provoke a response, I was just being grouchy on the basis that you were either a spammer or lazy.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
jasonh1234
level0

Postby jasonh1234 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:37 am

KingAl wrote:I'm glad you're not a spam bot, but all the warning signs were there -- a generic post bumping an old thread, '1234' in your account name, asking for information readily available with a little initiative, etc. It was against my better judgement to reply at all, but in the offchance that you were someone who actually needed help I posted. A troll is someone being deliberately abrasive in order to provoke a response, I was just being grouchy on the basis that you were either a spammer or lazy.

I don't think a spambot would be specific enough to ask about screenshots. As for the 1234. That's just my way of making sure I get the username I want. I've been using 1234 in my forum usernames since like 1999. Aaaanyways. whatever.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:54 am

Asking for screenshots is not at all specific. I have seen spambots all over various gaming forums that post requests for screenshots (in a vain attempt to be on topic), and post spam links in their sigs (or edit the post later). If you do not want to be mistaken for a spambot, there are several rules that you might keep in mind:
  1. Don't post generic crap; be specific. If you want screenshots showing more of the stuff that Subversion can do, why not mention the word "Subversion" in your post? By mentioning that single word (in a grammatically appropriate context, of course), you have shown that you have read the topic, and are not simply posting for the sake of posting. Without it, you could have copy-pasted that post to just about any gaming forum, and it would have been just as on topic (suppose, for instance, I posted that on a Duke Nukem Forever forum...).
  2. Don't bump old topics; bump newer topics. There are two reasons for this. First, spambots have a habit of bumping old topics. I don't know why they do it, but they do. Second, when you bump an old topic, it is apparent that you have not bothered to read the forums. There are several topics newer than this one that cover similar material that you could have posted to. By bumping an old topic, you appear to be either a spambot, or lazy. Neither is much appreciated around here.
  3. Don't use a handle with lots of numbers in it; use something original and/or creative. When you have a lot of numbers in your handle, it looks like you wanted to create an account quickly, and were not much concerned with what your handle was. Clearly, there are some people that are attached to a specific number, but you should also be aware of the fact that spammers will generally create handles with lots of numbers, because real people are unlikely to do so.

Now, I am sure that KingAl is sorry that you took offense to his post, but surely you can see it from his perspective? Your post looks like spam, and he responded appropriately. However, he also told you where you might find what you are looking for. That he responded at all, rather than asking a mod delete your post, or simply ignoring it without you ever getting any answer, was more than I would have expected.

Finally, if you did take offense, you might have a quick read through this. Like everywhere else on the interwebs, things here work through trial by fire. Either get over yourself, and learn to take some criticism (which might not always be constructive, or even phrased in a friendly manner), or go away.

xander
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:49 am

Hang on, was that advice for jasonh1234 or spambots?
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:11 pm

xander is obviously an advicebot.
No question about it!
osamalaila
level0

Postby osamalaila » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:26 am

I tried turning off the FCKEditor and turning on the TinyMCE editor.
<snip>
laser50
level2
level2

Postby laser50 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:01 pm

osamalaila wrote:I tried turning off the FCKEditor and turning on the TinyMCE editor.

snipsnip

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

DID YOU SEE THAT? I.. I MEAN.. CAN YOU SEE THAT?!

You just bumped a thread from 2009, dumbass.

learn to read, learn to read dates, and then enter the internet.
iScripters
level2
level2

Postby iScripters » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:03 pm

laser50 wrote:
osamalaila wrote:I tried turning off the FCKEditor and turning on the TinyMCE editor.

snipsnipsnipppppppppp.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

You just bumped a thread from 2009, dumbass.

learn to read, learn to read dates, and then enter the internet.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

You just made the Blog icon turn orange, making me think there was an update :(

(And I realize I am now doing the exact same thing...)
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:04 pm

If you idiots wont stop bumping USELESS threads, then **** off. We are urgently waiting for alpha12.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Stop responding to spam.

xander
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:42 pm

xander wrote:Stop responding to spam.

xander

like you just did xan....you really should stop also
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:17 pm

He is not. He is responding to idiots responding to spam.

Furthermore, he is responding to idiots QUOTING spam so I had to edit three posts (which entitles me to call them idiots and not feel bad about it). Please don't do that. And if in doubt, if it contains a link, don't quote it.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:19 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:He is not. He is responding to idiots responding to spam.

Furthermore, he is responding to idiots QUOTING spam so I had to edit three posts (which entitles me to call them idiots and not feel bad about it). Please don't do that. And if in doubt, if it contains a link, don't quote it.

figures another post in the blog...that's NOT the upcoming alpha.

Return to “Introversion Blog”