Rise of the machines

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:44 pm

well I suspect the best approach may be to program AIs with specific tactics, and then use a GA to evolve a counter-tactic, then have all the evolved tactics in some kind of a larger AI framework - which chooses which tactic to use in response to information on enemy silo positioning.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Sounds good to me, when can we expect the new and improved AI?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:53 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Sounds good to me, when can we expect the new and improved AI?

Tomorrow :D

... just kidding
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:01 pm

Nutter wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:Sounds good to me, when can we expect the new and improved AI?

Tomorrow :D

heh, funny you should say that, I've been programming an AI library for games me and my friend are making (pathfinding etc) and I just promised him the alpha tomorrow ;)

anyway, if I could program AIs for defcon I might have a go, but I don't so I can't :S
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
leckyt
level0

AI and Artificial Life in Video Games

Postby leckyt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:07 am

What we're talking about here is what I think of as AI vs. A-Life : bringing artificial life (strictly speaking : digital a-life) to video games. Just for the record, I tend to separate the two because it makes my thought processes easier. In other words, a-life uses AI techniques to mimic real behavioral patterns that we see in life. I can't describe it more succinctly than that here, but I'd happily take up a private discussion with anyone that wants to.

The thrust of the application of a-life in video games, for me, revolves around behavioral modification; from adaptive behavior through to mere variations in an otherwise 'perfect' AI (within the rules of a game, these are sometimes possible). This modification works on other levels too - using genetic algorithms to build armies of behaviorally similar but locally different creatures, or using genetic programming to create behavior trees that might be 'better' or 'worse' than their parents.

And there are yet more levels - everything from in-game prose to the way that NPCs look as well as react. These can equally well be based on GP and GA techniques.

With today's processors, there is no reason, in my mind, that we can't have all of the above goodness. It might even work out as cheaper for the developer : after all, it's easier to procedurally generate a vast city than go out and take a million photos of a real one, right? This, to my mind, is an example of artificial life, that is, creating a synthetic version of something that occurs in real life.

Again, in my opinion, the way that the industry should approach this is to attack the issue in a low-impact way. Altering the existing AI techniques by bolting-on adaptive and a-life techniques. Bringing it in slowly ought to quell the inherent panic of designers, developers, and stakeholders who believe that a-life should stay in the lab. Present company excepted, of course!

This slow introduction of a-life in video games has probably started, but needs a small push!
zoombapup
level1
level1

Postby zoombapup » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:26 am

I'm kind of annoyed that this whole network wasnt a bit wider publicized as I'd have loved to have come along (being both a game programmer and an academic).

One thing I've found as a game programmer, is that most of the time, the constraints on games make a load of the techniques people use in academic AI (its a bit nasty to seperate it as its just AI) just not possible. I'm glad that academics are interested in starting the debate, but a bit bemused at the same time.

I dont see many games really pushing the envelope in terms of AI. I cant see many academics really contributing to games AI research properly for a while yet. Mainly because the funding opportunites are bound to lie elsewhere (military springs to mind).

Its all good though, hope to make it to the next event, whenever that is.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:42 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
level0

sounds..

Postby 128.128.128.128 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:06 pm

sounds like a no brainer to me..hehehehe :lol: anyway, does anyone ever thing a.i. will ever prove useful in human life?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:32 am

Err... aren't we just talking about one of many applications for A.I. right now?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:05 am

More on this.

"...but this simple idea led to significant results ... for Introversion, who will soon have tools that they can release to players to let them write their own A.I. for the game."
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:12 am

Ooh sounds interesting, maybe I can have a go at building that evolving tactics AI that I appeared to be talking about a year ago ;)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:21 pm

Nice, competitions. :D

I'll certainly "write" A.I. for defcon if for nothing else than to drive you nuts (for a while). That is, assuming what's in the story is true.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:30 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:That is, assuming what's in the story is true.

I spoke to Robin at the MRP (I think so anyway...I spoke to someone who was working on a project on Defcon AI so I assume it was him)...so I suppose the article is indeed true...

Return to “Introversion Blog”