It's all in your head, Part 7

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:36 pm

Rkiver wrote:I use VLC plays everything, no issues, ever.

I've had issues with VLC and RTSM streams, but then I had more problems with the stream in WMP and WinAmp.

As for the video - downloading.

Edit: Damn, that's cool
Artman40
level1
level1

Postby Artman40 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:13 pm

Hmmm...Subversion coming along very nicely! But if you're going to add windows and such small details, you just can't render all that at once on a more larger view!
It's kinda fun comparing real city maps with city plans in Subversion.
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:16 am

Its looking really interesting, still can't wait to hear what the game will be about.

I was a little bored so I played around with one of the screenshot in photoshop for fun. Hope you like.

Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:38 am

Dude, Joy Division would have loved you.

EDIT: I, too, think that picture goes next to "awesome" in the dictionary.
amroc
level0

Postby amroc » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:14 pm

I saw an exhibition by an architect named Richard Rogers a few weeks ago, and one of the models reminded me of Subversion. I took a few shots:
The model surface is a video screen, so it allowed for cool effects like a 24hour time lapse showing the shadows cast from the buildings.

It's looking fantastic by the way Chris :)
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:20 pm

Those are some nice shots. The whole circular city layout looks just like the one subversion screenshot, kinda freaky :D
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:09 pm

That looks suspiciously like a little glass Oriental Pearl Tower in the top left.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:52 am

Wow, the potential that a procedurally generated city can bring is immense. I can't wait to see what the future might bring.

The current generations of cities that the engine produces look very Parisian to me, with all the circular centres with roads leading into them. It would be great to see some different styles of cities, as a place like London was built up over so much time it's a massive miss-mash of hamlets and villages that have been consumed by the ever growing London and doesn't have the neatness of roads that a new city like New York does.
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:50 pm

Methinks this has the potential to turn into the best fps evar! THE LEVELS ARE RANDOM ALL THE TIME!!!
QuadeHale
level0

Postby QuadeHale » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:57 am

Like he said though, this is nothing new (no offense intended). Diablo and Diablo II used random level generation in a much less complicated and less ... intense ... fashion to great success.

I would like to point out that the results, while indeed fantastic based on your video, lack a couple of things. One has already been posted (london syndrome, small cities absorbed by larger ones) and lastly and (I believe) most importantly: landmarks.

Where are the stadiums? the lone "tallest" skyscraper? The parks? I realize that oftentimes these are the bits that are handpicked for location... but given all you've done, it seems the next obvious step, even before street-level detail. What about taking into account what's "off" the map: a major highway route would have more along it than other parts of the city.

Like I said, while it all looks fantastic, it seems to lack that last bit of variety, that human touch that I'm sure you could put in. What about the slums? Chinatown? Waterfront property: harbors, docks... Industrial complexes, surrounded by mostly roads and terrible, small housing. These are the bits that strike me as most important. Navigating a city such as the one generated in the video would be nigh on impossible except by street name. A true city would be one where when you woke up on a bench not knowing where you were, you could tell what part of the city you were in.

Again, I want to stress how fantastic I think all this work you're doing is. It needs to be done. And while there needs be a small level of art involved - it's hardly reasonable to expect your generator to design and choose different types of windows, doors, roof coverings and flower baskets on porches - I'm a firm believer that the future of gaming is in this type of work, where every time you play, it's a different world. Infinite replayability.

Kudos to you and your team, I eagerly await Multiwinia :D

PS: Sorry about the overly huge avatar. Working on fixing it >.<
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:12 pm

I've missed all this, what is it?

Is it like one of those grow programs where you have to set parameters and hope the (in this case) city grows without problems?

Anyway, the screenshots are interesting :)

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:37 pm

QuadeHale wrote:Like he said though, this is nothing new (no offense intended). Diablo and Diablo II used random level generation in a much less complicated and less ... intense ... fashion to great success.

I did not know that was the case, I haven't played that many FPS games (read: About 5 or 6) However, that may be something useful. It's just a LITTLE suspicious that in most FPS games that I've played you always play in a crater or use invisible walls. That isn't right to me. I don't think Introversion has the stupidity to make something as mainstream as a shooter. (Maybe a WACKY shooter, but I doubt it.) In any case, I have no clue how this can be applied to a game. It may be just a neat gadget to fill one's time or something similar. It may be an RTS completely in a burgeoning metropolis, it may even be a universal map maker for shooters and the like! I don't know! Neither do they, as soon as they can get an idea for this, I'll be amazed. This is different from Darwinia. Darwinia sort of "evolved" (excuse the term. :D) from Futurewars. Here, it looks like Introversion is just playing with it's toys. I have never seen a game made this way before and it will be VERY interesting to see what this turns into.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:49 pm

skull13 wrote:
QuadeHale wrote:Like he said though, this is nothing new (no offense intended). Diablo and Diablo II used random level generation in a much less complicated and less ... intense ... fashion to great success.

I did not know that was the case, I haven't played that many FPS games (read: About 5 or 6)

Actually, Diablo I and II are (technically) RPG's. Although I believe Soldier of Fortune 2 did had randomly generated maps (with poor results).

Hellgate London (which is an RPG that can be played as an FPS) also uses them, but having played only the demo I don't know exactly how well they worked.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:09 am

Xocrates wrote:
skull13 wrote:

I did not know that was the case, I haven't played that many FPS games (read: About 5 or 6)

Actually, Diablo I and II are (technically) RPG's. Although I believe Soldier of Fortune 2 did had randomly generated maps (with poor results).

Hellgate London (which is an RPG that can be played as an FPS) also uses them, but having played only the demo I don't know exactly how well they worked.

Technically? Diablo was a straight-ahead overhead RPG, nothing like an FPS at all.

The fact is that in today's games, players expectly interesting, non-repetitive, highly-detailed levels, something which is very hard to achieve with a random generation algorithm.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:32 am

Technically, Diablo was a clickfest with RPG elements :P
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch

Return to “Introversion Blog”