Notes from the Slippery Slope, Part 2

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:53 pm

Sounds weird that its a year since defcon went gold, I'm split between thinking it was just the other month and feeling like it was years ago.
- Morten
------------------
RedCell.dk
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:56 pm

I must admit that I am fantastically excited about Multiwinia, but I agree with TGF that Darwinia is still an unfinished project, and I am saddened and worried by the prospect that it might be left by the side of the road, barefoot and pregnant, without any way to get home. I've been playing Uplink since 2003, when the Mac version came out, and I have been playing Defcon since it came out, but I keep coming back to Darwinia, which I think is the best that Introversion has come up with so far (even if it doesn't have mass appeal). Like TGF, I have at least one idea for another campaign, though it would require some of the improvements that Icepick spoke of some time ago. I would also like to see some of the improvements made in 1.5 come to the Mac version (destructible buildings, anyone?). In summary, TGF, I am interested by your ideas, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

As to the usability testing, rock on. It must be nice to get the opinions of people who aren't all sycophants like us. ;)

xander
Xocrates
level5
level5

Re: Notes from the Slippery Slope

Postby Xocrates » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:18 pm

All very good points Chris, however I wanted to point out that:

Chris wrote:- Our most accessable game
[...]
- The most fun to play of all of our games

Is usually opposite to:

Chris wrote:- Our worst reviewed game
Pentadact
level1
level1

Postby Pentadact » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:21 pm

I find it hard to believe a game set in the Darwinia universe could be more commercial than the familiar and relatable Wargames look of DEFCON. But if you really can take care of the 'most fun' part, we can prove you wrong on the 'worst reviewed' part.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:15 am

Xocrates wrote:All very good points Chris, however I wanted to point out that:

Chris wrote:- Our most accessable game
[...]
- The most fun to play of all of our games

Is usually opposite to:

Chris wrote:- Our worst reviewed game
Many a pretentious git will scream "OMGWTF THEY LOST THEIR WAY THEY SUCK", and then proceed to ignore niggling details like quality. Have you never heard people going on about how many groups and people, saying they "liked their old stuff" better, when they weren't "pandering to the masses"? It's so common it's depressing.

The GoldFish wrote:<snip>
This needs a petition, just so we can tell the epic tale of the Dev-get of '07, or something.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:00 am

Mas Tnega wrote:Many a pretentious git will scream "OMGWTF THEY LOST THEIR WAY THEY SUCK", and then proceed to ignore niggling details like quality. Have you never heard people going on about how many groups and people, saying they "liked their old stuff" better, when they weren't "pandering to the masses"? It's so common it's depressing.

Your old posts were much better, before you started pandering to IV and agreeing with everything they say.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:55 am

Mas is such a sell-out. However, I'd love to see the Darwinia source - if only to see if Chris' awesome coding power remains intact. ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:10 am

shinygerbil wrote:Mas is such a sell-out. However, I'd love to see the Darwinia source - if only to see if Chris' awesome coding power remains intact. ;)

*Shudders at the memories of the Dev CD*

Though that is how I learnt to code C++ strangely enough.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:45 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:Many a pretentious git will scream "OMGWTF THEY LOST THEIR WAY THEY SUCK", and then proceed to ignore niggling details like quality. Have you never heard people going on about how many groups and people, saying they "liked their old stuff" better, when they weren't "pandering to the masses"? It's so common it's depressing.

While I fully agree with that, any serious reviewer cannot give themselves that luxury. They might be a harsher, yet as long as the game is enganging and well made I found it doubtful that the reviews will be bellow uplink (which, while a great game, was buggy and hard to learn).
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:58 pm

Well while you may say that critics and reviewers may not be so easily swayed by expectation, to my memory they did use the phrase 'that difficult second album' several times in reviews and previews of Darwinia. In most cases the difficult second album is as much a problem of perception, because of the sudden and great success of the first creation there is massive expectation on the second. If the second album lies below the quality of the first, acclaimed, then the negative difference is usually exaggerated due to critical and popular expectation.

And that was all contrived just so I could use the poem: As she grimly walked away, 'I'm leaving you', she said. And I had nothing new to say, like the second album by Portishead.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:21 pm

xander wrote:I must admit that I am fantastically excited about Multiwinia

so am I, and while I think about it this is the first official challenge - I want to play you on Koth asap on multiwinia ;)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:31 pm

Koth? KOTH?!! Its King of the Hill, Dogdammit! :P
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:09 pm

Montyphy wrote:Koth? KOTH?!! Its King of the Hill, Dogdammit! :P

koth *is* King Of The Hill, and I'm going to persist in shortening it to koth as well.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:40 pm

martin wrote:
Montyphy wrote:Koth? KOTH?!! Its King of the Hill, Dogdammit! :P

koth *is* King Of The Hill, and I'm going to persist in shortening it to koth as well.

NEEEEEEEEEEEEIN!!! At least put some capitalisation in for us poor old folk! :P
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:12 am

Koth is a planet in the Star Wars Universe, similar to Hoth. Without the capitalization, koth is a is the sound that a cat makes when coughing. KotH is King of the Hill.

xander

Return to “Introversion Blog”