It's all in your head, Part 6

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:03 am

Chris wrote:You could classify anything as content, but we tend to think of it primarily as graphics, textures, maps/levels, scripts, sounds, audio etc.

I would generally consider content as anything that isn't coded, so for example in darwinia things like models etc are content are content whereas say DG behavior isn't because it's not scripted or something.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:52 am

martin wrote:
Chris wrote:You could classify anything as content, but we tend to think of it primarily as graphics, textures, maps/levels, scripts, sounds, audio etc.

I would generally consider content as anything that isn't coded, so for example in darwinia things like models etc are content are content whereas say DG behavior isn't because it's not scripted or something.

The only problem with a definition like that is when it comes to simple games or simple aspects that don't require models but instead have things hard coded.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:46 pm

Montyphy wrote:
martin wrote:

The only problem with a definition like that is when it comes to simple games or simple aspects that don't require models but instead have things hard coded.

well alright yes, but with something as flexible as programming you're always going to have slightly flexible definitions.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:39 pm

I don't see any of the images on this post.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:30 pm

prophile wrote:I don't see any of the images on this post.

You're not alone

shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:48 pm

Is anyone else getting text in the wrong encoding as well? :?
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:02 am

shinygerbil wrote:Is anyone else getting text in the wrong encoding as well? :?

A question mark appeared for me when you linked to that German's (?) profile on IRC.

KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:13 am

The forums - not-so-fixed, then?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:55 pm

KingAl wrote:The forums - not-so-fixed, then?

They must have moved the images. Try accessing them directly, it gives back a 404.

http://www.introversion.co.uk/blog/ is the same, which shows it's only due to the pictures not being accessible, versus something in the forum software misbehaving.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:52 pm

zanzer7 wrote:
Chris Delay, in 2001 wrote:Programmers are engineers - which is why we see every games company making their own engine, every company spending 90% of their time writing engine code when they should be writing games.

Yes, but you must understand that big companies see their engine as their priority. Better graphics and physics mean a better game to them.
IV's engine saves time and allows them more flexibility in the design of their games. To IV, the engine is a means to write a game. To the big boys, a game is a means to sell the engine.

wwarnick
naterd00d
level1
level1

Postby naterd00d » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:13 am

ok the videos title is subv5 notice any similarities with SUBVersion? i think so!

so i think that we will be able to create cities, and hack into other cities to disable their stuff, we can buy more security which will be required...its inhabitants will be darwinians, or maybe they will be in charge of building...

we populate, and populate...

and guess what game happens at the end

boom.

we destroy the world.

IV presents Civilization
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:35 am

If you look at previous 'It's all in your head' blogs, you'll see Chris has made it pretty explicit that this city generation is for Subversion ;)
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:45 am

Also, I doubt you'd need to generate full cities if you're just making some multiplayer uplink.
Opposing my own words (heh) I could see how generating a total power black-out in another city, making trains crash, polluting the water distribution systems or nocking them offline could be fun.
The only part missing from that scenario is a reason to care about your power being cut, your trains crashing and what not. Also somehow you can see in the office buildings so it's probably something different.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:04 pm

naterd00d wrote:ok the videos title is subv5 notice any similarities with SUBVersion? i think so!

Well, yeah. If they didn't plan to use it in Subversion, they probably wouldn't be making it. But that doesn't necessarily mean they won't reuse the engine after Subversion. Then again, it doesn't mean they will either. Nevertheless the point stands.

wwarnick
MAA3057
level0

Postby MAA3057 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:30 pm

Impressive :D
CDT Marco A. Aguilar
University of Texas - Pan American

Return to “Introversion Blog”