Defcon Broken Again...

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
trickser
level5
level5

Re: Staff Neglecting Defcon

Postby trickser » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Honestly Geezy, just shut up!

IV certainly does not want to deal with legitimately complaining players by legal measures. And you should stop to develop the contrary impression.

And have a look at what a coward you are. Frist making a giant fuss about legislation and then
RGeezy911 wrote:I'm just a volunteer moderator here

just bailing out. Disseminating spoilage and refusing responsibility.

With a personality as depth as a sheet of paper is thick you can't even shield someones head from a fly taking a shit on it.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:22 pm

trickser wrote:Honestly Geezy, just shut up!

IV certainly does not want to deal with legitimately complaining players by legal measures. And you should stop to develop the contrary impression.

And have a look at what a coward you are. Frist making a giant fuss about legislation and then

With a personality as depth as a sheet of paper is thick you can't even shield someones head from a fly taking a shit on it.

You really don't like this guy, do you sen?
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:27 pm

With the employees gone and the directors all looking for new jobs, Introversion was all but dead. There were two last ditch attempts to save the company. One of them, an Xbox Live Deal of the Week promotion for Darwinia+, helped, but not nearly enough. The other long shot was adding Steam achievements to its 2006 strategy game Defcon in the hopes that would convince Valve to make it a featured Steam sale. That one did significantly better, providing a cash injection of about $250,000 that Morris said saved the company. Once Introversion started making money again, Morris said the first people the company hired were the ones it had at its low point.

I'm going to use this paragraph as a counter argument. If the game basically saved IV's ass in the past, couldn't they make a couple tweaks here and there to salvage what was left in the game? Defcon may be almost dead, but let it die on its own terms; rather than negligence kill it.
Pruvan
level2
level2

Postby Pruvan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:47 pm

trickser wrote:And have a look at what a coward you are. Frist making a giant fuss about legislation and then

He can't bail out if he never bailed in. RG's a forum moderator, nothing more, nothing less. He was simply pointing out the EULA covers a certain degree of neglect on IV's part. The product is finished, whether you agree or not.

I'm sure they'll look at the metaserver when they find the time, but right now they need to focus their effort on their current project. You say it would only take a single person to look at it, but one person is basically 20% of IV's staff. Their resources are limited. There's also no guarantee the problem is easy, or cheap for that matter, to fix.

trickser wrote:With a personality as depth as a sheet of paper is thick you can't even shield someones head from a fly taking a shit on it.

... What?
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:54 pm

Pruvan wrote: You say it would only take a single person to look at it, but one person is basically 20% of IV's staff. Their resources are limited. There's also no guarantee the problem is easy, or cheap for that matter, to fix.

So IV has 5 people on their staff. I dont buy that. Not one bit.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Endless wrote:So IV has 5 people on their staff. I dont buy that. Not one bit.

It's true
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:08 pm

knoest26 wrote:
Endless wrote:So IV has 5 people on their staff. I dont buy that. Not one bit.

It's true

Proof? Employee list or one of them comes on here and tells me.
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:31 pm

The only people we know to be working at Introversion are the people seen in the about page here: http://introversion.co.uk/aboutus.html

Only two in that list - Chris and John - are programmers. However, it is uncertain if the page has been recently updated, and it also doesn't show the freelance programmers (if any) that Introversion pays.

So, 7 employees + freelancers OR 2 programmers + freelancers.

trickser wrote:just bailing out.

As mentioned before, I never "bailed in" and was simply explaining that the EULA exists, and what it states. Again, I am no lawyer - I'm just trying to keep this discussion alive (and not hostile).

Cheers!
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Pruvan wrote:He can't bail out if he never bailed in. RG's a forum moderator

A metapher. He made IV look bad but then he is only the volunteer. Now clear?

Pruvan wrote: RG's a forum moderator, nothing more, nothing less. He was simply pointing out the EULA covers a certain degree of neglect on IV's part.

I read his post.
He is defending IV's lack of action (in this particular case) with "go away" and "you paid, it's your fault" while being the forum moderator, making it look like IVs own position. On top of it, doing so in a cheesy arrogant way by pointing at the EULA.

Pruvan wrote:The product is finished, whether you agree or not.

I have no problem with Defcon, except the metaserver seems to not function properly.

Pruvan wrote:I'm sure they'll look at the metaserver when they find the time

Thinking the same.
Pruvan wrote:You say it would only take a single person to look at it

I did not.
Pruvan wrote:There's also no guarantee the problem is easy, or cheap for that matter, to fix.

Still I am curious if they tried to reboot it.

Pruvan wrote:
trickser wrote:With a personality as depth as a sheet of paper is thick you can't even shield someones head from a fly taking a shit on it.

... What?

depth=deep ; someones=anyones ; Questions?
Pruvan
level2
level2

Postby Pruvan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:51 pm

trickser wrote:just shut up!

trickser wrote:you can't even shield someones head from a fly taking a shit on it.

trickser wrote:doing so in a cheesy arrogant way

trickser wrote:Questions?

Just one, ever heard of a hypocrite?

For the record, pointing at the EULA was the only correct way of addressing Murphy's concern that IV was legally obliged to maintain their product. Saying it's arrogant or cheesy to do so is like saying it's arrogant for a store clerk to point at the expiration date when you claim a product is expired. It's literally what it's there for.

In addition, it was Murphy who suggested having someone from IV look at the server, not you specifically. The 'you' in my sentence there was plural, addressing the people who didn't understand why missing even a single person in such a small indie company is an important resource gone. Or why a borked multiplayer does not a corporate betrayal make.

Not everything I said was aimed at you specifically, despite what your dissection of my post seems to insinuate.

All that being said, if you (plural) really want to make a difference I suggest you contact IV directly. Raging on the forums isn't going to magically fix the servers, let alone incite anyone from IV to even come anywhere near such threads.

If enough people express their concerns, in a decent manner, via the proper channel, IV is bound to give a public response eventually. They're not heartless, you know.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Pruvan wrote:
trickser wrote:just shut up!

trickser wrote:you can't even shield someones head from a fly taking a shit on it.

trickser wrote:doing so in a cheesy arrogant way

trickser wrote:Questions?

Just one, ever heard of a hypocrite?

Well, I am/was angry for a reason. I am sure I will regret one or two insults I made to express my anger. And for the record, I am not angry about the metaserver issue but about RGeezys way of defense against complains about it. I used many words to descirbe what I think is wrong with it, some of them might have gone too far. But my anger is just an expression of how much I think it was ugly.

Pruvan wrote:For the record, pointing at the EULA was the only correct way of addressing Murphy's concern that IV was legally obliged to maintain their product. Saying it's arrogant or cheesy to do so is like saying it's arrogant for a store clerk to point at the expiration date when you claim a product is expired. It's literally what it's there for.

If a store sells expired products and the clerks only reaction is to point at the expiration date it is no wonder if the customers get mad. So the only correct way is the wrong way for certain.

Pruvan wrote:Not everything I said was aimed at you specifically, despite what your dissection of my post seems to insinuate.

You quoted me at the start and at the end of your post and used nothing else to indicate who are you speaking to expect for the one pronoun all the time. So I read it. I insinuated nothing.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:51 pm

trickser wrote:
Pruvan wrote:For the record, pointing at the EULA was the only correct way of addressing Murphy's concern that IV was legally obliged to maintain their product. Saying it's arrogant or cheesy to do so is like saying it's arrogant for a store clerk to point at the expiration date when you claim a product is expired. It's literally what it's there for.

If a store sells expired products and the clerks only reaction is to point at the expiration date it is no wonder if the customers get mad. So the only correct way is the wrong way for certain.

I'm trying not to get involved in this, but let me help to clarify Pruvan's comment for you.

"Saying it's arrogant or cheesy to do so is like saying it's arrogant for a store clerk to point at the expiration date when you claim a product is expired. It's literally what it's there for."

The customer comes into the Store on Sept 15th, buys a carton of milk that expires on Sept 20th. The customer then returns to the store on Sept 23rd, complaining that the milk has gone sour and has expired. The clerk then points out the expiration date, thus pointing out the obvious.

In this case you're the customer, Defcon is the carton of milk, the clerk is RG (he doesn't make the milk, he's just pointing out the obvious), Introversion is the milk producer, and the expiration marker is the EULA. Clear enough for you?
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:58 pm

blipadouzi wrote:
trickser wrote:

I'm trying not to get involved in this, but let me help to clarify Pruvan's comment for you.

"Saying it's arrogant or cheesy to do so is like saying it's arrogant for a store clerk to point at the expiration date when you claim a product is expired. It's literally what it's there for."

The customer comes into the Store on Sept 15th, buys a carton of milk that expires on Sept 20th. The customer then returns to the store on Sept 23rd, complaining that the milk has gone sour and has expired. The clerk then points out the expiration date, thus pointing out the obvious.

In this case you're the customer, Defcon is the carton of milk, the clerk is RG (he doesn't make the milk, he's just pointing out the obvious), Introversion is the milk producer, and the expiration marker is the EULA. Clear enough for you?

I think the Milk being spoiled is a bad analogy. You can't fix milk being spoiled because of the expiration date. You CAN fix a metaserver or create a new one if it is unfixable. (not directed at you blip, just didnt feel like editing the quote down,)
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:59 pm

trickser wrote:And for the record, I am not angry about the metaserver issue but about RGeezys way of defense against complains about it.

And again, I apologize if I wasn't clear in my intentions. My post was to point out that the EULA exists, and to continue the discussion in a non-hostile way by inputting some of my views in this thread. In no way did I intend to insult or offend. I would have liked it much better if you privately messaged me and told me to be more clearer in my post than to offend me on the topic.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:09 pm

Endless wrote:I think the Milk being spoiled is a bad analogy. You can't fix milk being spoiled because of the expiration date. You CAN fix a metaserver or create a new one if it is unfixable. (not directed at you blip, just didnt feel like editing the quote down,)

The point is, Defcon was released in 2006. IV is under no obligation to support it in any way, shape or form if they don't want to. The fact that they are still running a server for this game is gratuitous and out of good faith. They receive no monthly fees for the server, they receive no support... it's all on them. So if they choose to close the server, or ignore it for a couple of months, we can't complain. It's an old game, and a free server (for us).

Return to “Introversion Lounge”