Guidance, making my next game. 'Tycoon'

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Re: Guidance, making my next game. 'Tycoon'

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:54 pm

thekillergreece wrote:Dosedmonkey, I dont know if you are really a 100% effective developer, so do your best to create your own engine...There, we can discuss what kind game type you want later

One you could probably improve your english.

Two, with out knowing what type of game type your going for, how can you create an engine tuned to your project.

Three, lots of game developers, use a previous engine, and adapt the code to produce their own game, lets name some famous ones from Unity and Unreal engines;

Kerbal Space Program,
Dues Ex
Cities in Motion
Space Hulk
Bad Piggies
Fable
BioShock
Transformers: Fall of Cyberton
X-Com
Borderlands
Batman: Arkham City
Gears of War
DC Universe Online
Need For Speed
Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Medal of Honour Airbourne

So thekillergreece, what game are you currently working on as your so helpful? I mean dude you thought RimWorld was made on PA engine. That game uses the Unity engine!! Which is what I'm on about, help on deciding that.

You can't enjoy RimWorld and point that out to me, then tell me later, oh make your own engine, when RimWorld hasn't. /facepalm

Xocrates wrote:Game engines are hugely complex endevours, even simple ones. You should always look into existing engines before setting out to do your own. This is particularly true in this day and age where cheap easy to use engines are pretty easy to find. Heck, Gunpoint, which is one of my favourite games this year was made in Gamemaker (which, btw, may be an interesting option for 2D tile based games).

Ah I love Gunpoint, did not realise that was made by GameMaker.

I have purchased GameSalad before, similar to GameMaker. I find it is great for making mini games, but as for a realistic Tycoon game, I think its workflow/management system would become a bit of a disaster in GameSalad.

After looking at the RTS Engine I posted before, I think it might be easier using that, as it has pathfinding code, which this GameSalad/GameMakers don't have, and also contruction/destruction tools. Once I set up how you can construct and destruct things on that engine. All I would need to do then is concentrate on how the AI behaves, as that is the larger part of these Tycoon/Architect style games as I can work out.

Was thinking about doing Seaport Tycoon, as it'd be a bit more original, and has a lot more options then an Airport Tycoon type game. :lol:

The other idea I was having was Power Station Tycoon
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:39 pm

If RimWorld made by Unity then why PA engine didnt made by Unity..?

They both graphics look identical, cartoonish! :roll:

I am not from USA or UK so my English is not 100% perfect.Pardon
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:04 pm

thekillergreece wrote:If RimWorld made by Unity then why PA engine didnt made by Unity..?

Because Chris can program game engines.
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:11 pm

thekillergreece wrote:If RimWorld made by Unity then why PA engine didnt made by Unity..?

Why did Bioshock not program their own engine? Generally its to save time. Only you need look at valves half life II engine and how many games that has been used for too. Obviously there didnt used to be free engines around, so I wouldn't be able to afford to buy a engine for $50,000 or more like it was ten years ago.

Lots of games have cartoon graphics. Its just Chris obviously prefer to program his own engine, probably because he does it for his living, unlike me, and unlike the RimWorld guy I believe, althugh that might change if he has a success.

Fairs on the language side. Still waiting to hear about the last game you made.
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:16 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:

Why did Bioshock not program their own engine? Generally its to save time. Only you need look at valves half life II engine and how many games that has been used for too. Obviously there didnt used to be free engines around, so I wouldn't be able to afford to buy a engine for $50,000 or more like it was ten years ago.

Lots of games have cartoon graphics. Its just Chris obviously prefer to program his own engine, probably because he does it for his living, unlike me, and unlike the RimWorld guy I believe, althugh that might change if he has a success.

Fairs on the language side. Still waiting to hear about the last game you made.

Last game I made?What
bazvink
level0

Postby bazvink » Tue May 20, 2014 9:56 am

Hi,

Did you ever get around to starting on your game?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”