Forum Error

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
chrisb55
level0

Forum Error

Postby chrisb55 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:21 am

So, because board admins hide from non-registered members, I had to create this second account. I put a typo in my original account's email field for chrisb5. Is there any way an admin could contact me so that I can get the other account corrected?

>Wrong email sends email validation to WRONG location
>No email validation means can't log in
>No fix email error

The stupidity of the system amazes me... how phpBB didn't consider this is beyond me (I know this is not a fault of Introversion).

Thanks,
Chris
NeatNit
level5
level5

Re: Forum Error

Postby NeatNit » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:32 am

This is why there's a "Confirm email address" field. Of course what everyone does is go full-retard on it and just copy-paste the original email field, completely defeating its purpose of catching typos.

You do have a point though... There should be a way for users to fix this by themselves.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:42 am

chrisb55 wrote:The stupidity of the system amazes me... how phpBB didn't consider this is beyond me (I know this is not a fault of Introversion).

I agree completely, and have lost two forum accounts in this way.

Colytic
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Per others. This is why copy+paste in second email field is bad. I should look into some JS to make that impossible...

On similar notes, if Jelco is unable to help, please PM me with information you have (i.e. what you think you put as the address) and I'll correct it for you.

NeoThermic
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:14 pm

Mine were rather special cases - I wanted to move the accounts to spare e-mail addresses but got the domain part of the address wrong on the disposable ones I set up. Shenanigans. Still, a dumb system I say!

NeoThermic wrote:I should look into some JS to make that impossible...

The eternal struggle between user and developer continues!

Colytic
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:25 pm

I wonder if the registered name will be open for grabbing after a timeout if the vailidation email was not answered. It should be. Then the system is perfect. A slight incomfortable waiting for a minor mistake, perfect.
If so, sombody should have pointed the OP to the possibility of waiting, in a slight ironicly slapping manner to condition his raged post, perfect.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:08 pm

jelco wrote:"A dumb user I say!"

Seriously, as long as you're not providing any reasoning to this, childish answers are what you're gonna get. I am very curious what kind of better alternative, if any, you have in mind. Don't forget this is an aspect where a system allowing more corrections is very close to a system allowing account hijacking. Where security is concerned, dumbing down the process because of user stupidity is, well, stupid.

Jelco

I have just the ticket. Send an e-mail to the original account to confirm. I've seen this on a few sites before. Might even increase security because an intruder with the password might not be able to switch e-mail easily (but you might be far gone already by this point).

Colytic
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:18 pm

jelco wrote:
Colytic wrote:Send an e-mail to the original account to confirm.

Considering this topic concerns someone making a typo in their address, resulting in an address that may not work or at the very least the user doesn't have access to, this would work...how, exactly?

Jelco

I was thinking of if you wanted to update your e-mail address (as in my case), then it should query the original. As for the OP's issue...just free the account name after a few hours.

Colytic
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:13 pm

jelco wrote:
Colytic wrote:I was thinking of if you wanted to update your e-mail address

Really?

Your point being? If you enter an invalid e-mail address for your new one, wham, your account is gone.

Jelco wrote:
Colytic wrote:As for the OP's issue...just free the account name after a few hours.

Choose 10 minutes, people will complain they don't have enough time to activate it. Choose 1 hour, people will complain they have to wait too long for the username to become available and will register a second account anyway.

If you insist. You can't win them all.

Colytic
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Colytic wrote:
jelco wrote:
Colytic wrote:I was thinking of if you wanted to update your e-mail address

Really?

Your point being? If you enter an invalid e-mail address for your new one, wham, your account is gone.

jelco's point is that, as when you create your account, you have to enter your e-mail address twice so everything that was said before about not copy/pasting your e-mail address apply.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:16 pm

MAdMaN wrote:jelco's point is that, as when you create your account, you have to enter your e-mail address twice so everything that was said before about not copy/pasting your e-mail address apply.

On three occasions I've entered the wrong domain part of an e-mail (eg .net not .org), and lost or nearly lost the account. Could be just me.

Colytic

Return to “Introversion Lounge”