Forums upgrade testing

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:19 pm

iScripters wrote:
NeatNit wrote:Save that question for "Why would it take so long to release Prison Architect?"

There's a difference between building a game from scratch and downloading the upgrade from phpbb.com..
I've got a feeling that by the time PA releases, you'll also be thinking "where did they time go?"

NeoThermic: Now I'm curious about the "few... others.."... Thanks.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:23 pm

NeatNit wrote:NeoThermic: Now I'm curious about the "few... others.."... Thanks.

/b

xander
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:28 pm

NeatNit wrote:NeoThermic: Now I'm curious about the "few... others.."... Thanks.

Note to self: writing a program that tries all the possible (up to say 15 characters) directories and selling it to forum-goers for ten bucks - viable?

Colytic
iScripters
level2
level2

Postby iScripters » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:36 am

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:These fora are a hacked together mess (no offense, NeoThermic! I know you do good work!), and require some... coddling. It is a bit more complicated than simply installing the newest version of phpbb.

This. Though John is the star here, quite a few of us have had input on this process. It's not "just" a phpBB install, mind. There's scripts written that rely on phpBB 2 ways of things getting done (such as badges and the beta test system and the whole entire damn news stuff on the sites!). Then there's the fact that the users and associated tables are one, but the actual forums/topics/posts are separate as per each board. Then there's the awesome amazing hacked way the forums respond to /uplink, /darwinia, /defcon, /multiwinia, /introversion and /prisonarchetect (and a few... others.. *cough*)...

Plus then there's the whole time thing. There's just never enough damn time. As John has noted, work on this commenced in 2012, but I've been working the base idea since 2010.. just no one has had the right kind of time to actually do anything towards it.

It's been a long time coming.. and will be continually worked on and improved :)

NeoThermic

Well, that answered my question :)
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Colytic wrote:

Note to self: writing a program that tries all the possible (up to say 15 characters) directories and selling it to forum-goers for ten bucks - viable?

Colytic
I'd buy it.
Mark
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Thanks for your help!

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:34 pm

We're taking Forums2012 off line now. Upgrade will happen in the next few days.

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Introversion Lounge”