NDAA LOL TROLOLOL

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:26 pm

I'll agree when they pass that campaign funding amendment and overturn Citizens United. :P

(Or someone hires me to be a very well-paid lobbyist.)
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:21 pm

Yeah, that's a silly article for a couple reasons.

First, it says nothing about revoking citizenship without trial. There currently exists several ways in which a person may legally forfeit their citizenship, and this simply adds to that list "engaging in, or purposefully and materially supporting, hostilities against the United States" with the specific intent of relinquishing their nationality in the process.

Second, they are packaging an old story and trying to sell it as new. The House version of the bill, HR 3166, has only three cosponsors and was submitted four months ago. It got shelved immediately after being introduced, and it shows no sign of life. The Senate version, S. 1698, is just as comatose. It has one cosponsor, and it too has been left to gather dust for months.

Those bills do not do what they claim them to do, and even if they did, they show no signs of life and there is no indication that they have even a hope of making it out of committee, much less passing in a vote.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Well, that's reassuring!

There seem to be far too many ways to lose American citizenship, which is annoying for me, I can't work for the Civil Service in the UK, for example, but I can join the US civil service without losing my British Citizenship, you only seem to be able to lose UK citizenship by committing treason, and even if you willingly forfeit it you can have it back if you ask.

I guess the Queen likes retaining subjects more than the US likes its citizens. :P

Return to “Introversion Lounge”