Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:31 am

NeoThermic wrote:
TomCat39 wrote:As for the NVidia 6XXX gpu just upgrade to 9XXX. Probably not just that simple. Most 6XXX cpu's were AGP, 9XXX is only PCIe.

Considering that the 6x series was the first card of nvidia's to have SLI, I'm going to disagree on that one. nVidia only made AGP versions because at the time there was demand for them, but anyone building a new system back in the 6 series days had the choice of PCIe and should've gone with it.

If they were building from scratch. A lot of people were just upgrading video and AGP was the main platform in that case, which happens to be the majority of the cases at the time. The reason I say this is because only the enthusiast buys the cutting edge technologies. Mainly because the support and developement isn't there upon initial release. The average joe goes with the cheaper, more supported thing until the bugs are worked out. Unless he's green to PC's and has no history of buying the cutting edge and waiting 3+ months before there is stable drivers, most games work, etc etc etc. So at the transition card of AGP to SLI (the 6XXX series), that the AGP sold more than the PCIe. I think PCIe became more accepted through the 7xxxx series being it had been around a few months. Also remember, at that point in time, and probably still, only about 3%-5% of the market was enthusiast. That's not a whole lot buying the latest and greatest. AMD and Intel don't make much if anymoney on their latest and greatest. The flagships are usually just bragging rights for both companies and owners.

NeoThermic wrote:
TomCat39 wrote:And the top end cards are 500 USD each. The cost of a PS3 is only 600 USD right now.

Except the graphics ability of the PS3 is comparable to an nVidia 7800 (the RSX is basically a specially designed 7800). Yes, your 600 USD PS3 has the power of the card in your old machine. So stop talking about top end graphics cards when the PS3 itself isn't even a 1/10th of one.

NeoThermic

That's just it. I'm not talking about a direct comparison because the hardware in a PC, that is equivalent to the PS3, is extinct long before 3 years has passed in the PC gaming industry. So you can't compare a PC with a life of 1 year to a console's life of 3 years for a cost over time. The time frame has to match. To get the time frame in the PC realm of 3 years before it's nearing or is beyond it's gaming performance, you have to start with the best at the time of build. Thus all my comments about a "good" gaming rig. If you don't start off with the top hardware, you are just shelling out more dough anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, in upgrades, which just adds to the purchase costs and ends up spending whatever money you saved in the initial build.

All my comments as I have said in my previous two posts before this, is talking about one time costs, starting from scratch, running over 3 years (the average life of a console or used to be). And even in buying mid level gaming PC and upgrading over the 3 years, you will still spend more in 3 years time than you will in the same 3 years for the 1 console. Granted, doing this method you get more than the 3 years out of the PC usually unless the PC architecture changes enough to require a near total rebuild such as AGP to PCIe. But that's not the point I've been arguing. I agree that the PC, as a whole, has a longer life span than any console. And that it is way more versatile. But for those extras, the PC is more expensive. If it wasn't, who'd ever buy consoles? It wouldn't make sense beyond the casual gaming aspect.

And Neothermic. I don't think at any point I ever said a console was as powerful or more powerful as a PC, regardless of my comparisons of top end PC's to the best console currently, the PS3. So don't misconstrue my comparison as a power comparison of capabilities. That's the farthest from the truth, I'm purely matching the time frames of life span. To do that you have to find the PC hardware that holds out as long as a console usually does. Usually that means top end hardware. Anything less doesn't last as long and requires upograding prior to the time frame being met. Thus can't be compared legitimately in a cost/time analysis. Since cost isn't a constant, time has to be. But I'm sure you know full well the math behind it. I think everyone is comparing equal costs but not stating the differences in time between the two. I know the equivalent price in PC as a console definitely expires in the gaming realm way faster than the equivalent console. Can you imagine trying to play recent games on a PC that costs as much as a Wii? This is why it's not my comparison. Hopefully this clarifies my comparisons and what I've been arguing about and why I still say PC's are more expensive as a gaming platform.

This has been my experience to date and so it's also my belief until the consoles are a bit more expensive (which I see coming in the horizon). I just don't get why not a single person here even slightly acknowledges that is might even be a possibility. The general consensus from everyone here is the PC's are cheaper than consoles period. Which is just so not true being that the "average" PC is about 1000 USD. Most consoles are half that. Not even going near upgrades on a PC, that just keeps adding to the cost of the PC.

One person said I can get a decent gaming rig for about 700 USD. To clarify, I disagree with the term decent. Sure I can get a rig for 700 that can play games now and maybe play them okay. But will that rig, left untouch (no more money spent on it) be playing games released for it 3 years from now? Probably not or at the bare minimum spec settings. I know the PS3, Wii and XBOX 360 will play games released for them in 3 years time (assuming they aren't replaced by next gen so have games released for them)and probably pretty well too.
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:35 am

Anyways, I've more than made my points. I've clarified and explained them to death.

I'm done with this topic of PC and Consoles. Flame my responses as you wish. I shan't participate any further.
"Now, stop being a douche to the newbie, and run along."

xander
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:04 am

TomCat39 wrote:But you know what Jelco, I get it. My opinions are null and void because my intellect and experience don't even come close to equating to yours. Thus all you have to say is hog wash to me, and that makes you correct and me wrong. That's kewl. It makes perfect sense now, why to you, 1500 dollars over 3 years for PC gaming (being extremely modest on the gaming rig) is cheaper than 500 dollars over 3 years for console gaming. <--- That one sentence has been my WHOLE point this whole time and everyone has been telling me that is incorrect. 4+1 does not equal 5 it equals 9. I'm sorry, I just don't see it.

Now you're insulting Jelco?

I think the difference between most of our opinions and yours here is that you think you need new, high-end specs to run the latest games. We (as far as I can tell) don't think that. TF2 ran lovely and smoothly on my 4-5 year old Athlon 3000 (initial investment ~£300), I'd upgraded the RAM, GPU and hard disc over those years, but that came to less than £150 over 4 years. I would have had to bought a computer anyway and playing games on it rather than on a console definitely saved me money. Heck, I'm evening running L4D happily on my laptop, albeit quite an expensive one.

I'm happy playing games on non-max settings so long as the framerate is high. As far as I've been able to tell, the default settings on consoles are often below max settings on a PC, so what's the problem with this?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:53 am

What amuses me in all this is that the reason for me preferring PC to consoles has little to do with anything said here so far :P

to wit:

1) I would need a PC anyway
2) Console games are bloody expensive (although a bit a moot point as, until recently at least, I seldom bought more than a couple of games a year at full price)
3) I still, and by far, prefer mouse + keyboard to a controller
4 and most importantly) There simply are not enough console games that interest me to justify the investment
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:44 pm

Yeah I hate jerky movements from a console analog stick. I was forced to buy far cry 2 on PS3 cause my computer could not run it.
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:47 pm

So. Games, eh? Who else plays them?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Who needs games if you can have flamewars and entertain countless readers?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:48 pm

Xocrates wrote:What amuses me in all this is that the reason for me preferring PC to consoles has little to do with anything said here so far :P

to wit:

1) I would need a PC anyway
2) Console games are bloody expensive (although a bit a moot point as, until recently at least, I seldom bought more than a couple of games a year at full price)
3) I still, and by far, prefer mouse + keyboard to a controller
4 and most importantly) There simply are not enough console games that interest me to justify the investment

I haven't really been following this argument, but I had to QFT.

1) If I wanted I could spend nothing on hardware, and just use my family PC.
2) Yes they are, which is annoying since you've already spent money on the hardware
3) Indeed, I was hoping that with XNA I could make some keyboard/mouse games for xbox, alas the xbox version on xna lacks support for mice :(
4) I now have a list of about 6 xbox360 games I want, and that's it out of the entire library.

I'm seriously considering buying an xbox at the moment, but that's only because I'm developing games for the damned things.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:00 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Who needs games if you can have flamewars and entertain countless readers?

So true. but you know, without flame wars and disagreements, the world would just be black and white. The full color seems more beautiful even if a little dark. Sort of like Doom :)

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:02 pm

martin wrote:[3) Indeed, I was hoping that with XNA I could make some keyboard/mouse games for xbox, alas the xbox version on xna lacks support for mice :(

It does? Last I checked, the docs detail mouse support for the 360, less I'm missing something?

NeoThermic
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:16 pm

jelco wrote:I didn't start the personal offense, you just did.

Once again I disagree. You started here ---v

jelco wrote:Ok, both of these comments fail in strikingly different ways.

Jelco

By not explaining what you meant. Just making the derogatory statement with out any explanation of your thoughts and opinions says that I'm not worth the effort to have a dialog with. This whole time your attitude has been I'm not worthy to speak with you over and above the I'm just wrong in everything I say. Finally I said, I get it. That's far from telling you off.

If I were to tell you off I would just say, "Go fuck your mother asshole, I did and she wasn't that good but maybe she'll do better for you, her own son."

But I have not done that. I can start if that is your desire?

jelco wrote:Let me finish off by saying the same as you did: I don't care what you say anymore, I'll stand by my points and stop participating unless a respectable reply comes my way.

Actually I didn't say this. You just said you will participate if you feel the reply is worthy.

I said I won't participate at all period.

I'd say those are quite different.

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:32 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
martin wrote:[3) Indeed, I was hoping that with XNA I could make some keyboard/mouse games for xbox, alas the xbox version on xna lacks support for mice :(

It does? Last I checked, the docs detail mouse support for the 360, less I'm missing something?

NeoThermic

Interesting, I'll have a look into that. I admit I haven't checked for a long time if the xbox has mouse support, but it never used to (afaik, which apparently isn't very much) :S

thanks for pointing it out :D

edit:: I knew it, unfortunately I'm right :(

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... eStudio.20).aspx

read the bit, partway down the page, about mouse input

Mouse devices are used on Windows systems only; they are not supported on Xbox 360.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:59 pm

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:So. Games, eh? Who else plays them?

Yes, about that. Them.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:03 pm

Just got Little Big Planet. For £20 including delivery, I couldn't resist.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:43 pm

martin wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:

NeoThermic

Interesting, I'll have a look into that. I admit I haven't checked for a long time if the xbox has mouse support, but it never used to (afaik, which apparently isn't very much) :S

thanks for pointing it out :D

edit:: I knew it, unfortunately I'm right :(

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... eStudio.20).aspx

read the bit, partway down the page, about mouse input

Mouse devices are used on Windows systems only; they are not supported on Xbox 360.

The phrase "the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing" comes to mind. Microsoft is really good at that it seems! :)

NeoThermic

Return to “Introversion Lounge”