How did you learn about IV?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Kuth
level4
level4

How did you learn about IV?

Postby Kuth » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:07 pm

Posting in the blog made me think back to how I got hooked on Introversion.

For me, it happened when I noticed an unusual green box sitting alone (and dare I say neglected?) on the shelf of my local Best Buy. The title caught my eye- "Darwinia"- and it immediately made me think of the Artificial Evolution institute in Neon Genesis Evangelion which would eventually become.....well anyway,

I opened the flap and was assailed by a mess of awesomeness. It wasn't like any game I had seen before, something like a cross between tron and the retro-action arcade games from a bygonne era- something I knew I had incredible fun with. I didn't have the funds with me at the time, and I was uncertain about buying a game I wouldn't end up playing down the line (already have some of those...) So I went home and did some research.

Accordingly I found the information on Darwinia and all the wonderful things within, downloaded the demo and was hooked. I became even more exited when I heard about this new project called "Defcon", which (being a military fan) had my interest. I went and bought Darwinia, the Box, and was surprised to find the goodies within. The DG is still guarding my keys after all this time :)

I was surprised later to discover the "indie" status of Introversion, but it answered my own question of why I haven't seen boxes of "Darwinia" before I came across that neglected beat-up copy at Best Buy.

Soo... what's your story? How did you come to be here?
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:15 pm

I remember seeing the Darwinia website after it having been recommend by a few people on the internet, but at a glance of the screenshots, I simply moved on ( :oops: ), neglecting to give it a good go. It was later, when the game was released on Steam, that I took another look and downloaded the demo (which I say, is probably the most important part of this story). I was instantly hooked. Got the game directly from Introversion (couldn't resist the gorgeous green box), and have been an Introversionite ever since.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:41 pm

excited
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:55 pm

I knew of uplink, but didn't think it would be my cup of tea. Then darwinia came out. I Liked what I read about it on reviews on many websites. My wife bought it as a surprise birthday present, actually she timed it rather well, another day and I was going to get it myself (I think she bought it off Amazon). I spent Hours on it :). I still play it today, on rain days, when I should be attending the garden and other DIY tasks. I vary the tactics and the upgrades, amazing what happens if you favor less numbers for more powerful squads. DEFCON came along then I joined the forums, waiting for the release and trying to get more info about it. I wasn't dissapointed with it. However, I was handed my behind several times on many MP games, even the CPU gave me a trashing once or twice. but then you start see tactics in the broader sense, forming pacts with enemies and trashing them when they least expect it :) Now I'm waiting for Multiwinia (this is going to be some much fun), Tin box ordered and shelve space aquired for My Darwinians. Subversion, I watch the forums for the next snipet from Chris and I'm still wondering, wil it tie Darwinia to Uplink somehow? Will it be completely different, who knows :) but it will probably be another fine addition to the IV Hall of Fame.

IV, Thank you for restoring my faith in PC Games :)
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:56 pm

A friend linked me to the defcon website on release... I tried out the demo and was hooked instantly, bought it from the IVstore a few weeks later. Then went on to try the demos of Uplink and Darwinia... neither really hooked me though. Multiwinia, however... Darwinia is really suited to being multiplayer, I'm liking it so far. ;)
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:31 pm

Years ago my big brother gave me a copy of Uplink and it all started from there really. I loved the game, and then followed their releases since then. :)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:58 pm

Read about Uplink on the now-very-sorry-looking Home of the Underdogs when it was inducted into the 'Hall of Belated Fame', and kept tabs on IV (and played the Uplink demo to death). By Defcon's release online purchases were finally kosher in my household, and bumming 'round at ttlg.com revealed that forums were things you actually joined, rather than observing from afar :P
Last edited by KingAl on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
multimania
level2
level2
Location: Perth, Western Australia · Mountain View, California

Postby multimania » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:59 pm

A linux magazine issue that I got given as a gift (it wasn't sold in Australia at that point, a friend in the UK sent it over) had a (very positive) review of Uplink in it.

I was hooked.

Darwinia was released.

I was more hooked.

Introversion owns my soul.
I have no regrets.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:08 pm

Once upon a time (Before Darwinia was even announced), Download.com was the place I went when I was bored and looking for new games to play. It was there that I found a demo version of Uplink. It was a great little game.

Uplink was one of the first games I ever upgraded from demo to full version. (Demo versions of games were plenty fun for me at the time, also I had no income.) I soon found the Introversion Forums (then known as the Uplink Forums) and became a permanent member of the community and loyal fan of the company. I've also participated in beta testing of Darwinia, Defcon and Multiwinia. The End.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:31 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure as to exactly when, but it must not have been long after Uplink's release. I have no idea how I stumbled upon it, or even if I got the demo before a warez version (sorry, I didn't think about it then :oops: ). I loved the game, so eventually bought a copy from a friend who had two and was happy...until I found out he had gotten two copies for the price of one due to a shipping mishap. So I now have an original copy, but I'm not sure if IV have gotten anything for it.

At the time I lurked the hell out of the forum, but never registered, and eventually stopped visiting. I only came back after Darwinia had already been launched, and I again played it a lot, and lurked a lot. After trying a few mods and not having much luck, eventually stopped coming here.

I came back around the defcon beta, and registered to try to get in. I was very hyped about the game, even pre-ordered two cds, but I have to admit it let me down a bit. Not that I think it's a bad game, it's just not my type of game, I guess.

Again, after a period of rarely checking things IV, I came back, and found out multiwinia was coming. The chances of me being disappointed are next to nil. :D

xyzyxx wrote:I've also participated in beta testing of Darwinia, Defcon and Multiwinia. The End.

I'm thinking it's more likely To Be Continued... ;)
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:41 pm

PC Gamers review of Uplink. Played the demo, and one "Mum, if I give you the cash..." and 6-8 working days later, played the full game.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:56 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:PC Gamers review of Uplink. Played the demo, and one "Mum, if I give you the cash..." and 6-8 working days later, played the full game.

Ditto bar I got it in my local HMV.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:10 pm

Phelanpt wrote:
xyzyxx wrote:I've also participated in beta testing of Darwinia, Defcon and Multiwinia. The End.

I'm thinking it's more likely To Be Continued... ;)

I was going to say "The End"? What about Subversion?

Also, I stumbled upon IV only after googleing for nuclear war (PC) games. I played the demo version for a good while till I purchased Defcon. Never played Uplink or Darwinia and Multiwinia isn't really my cup of tea, however I'm really looking forward to Subversion.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Some PC Gamer preview of Darwinia, I think.
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:03 pm

I wanted a good strategic PC game, so I went to GameStop, and looked around for a while, and since I was an addict to nuclear warfare and chaos on a nationwide scale, I thought Defcon could satisfy me. So I brought it home, and I was immediatly hooked. Next it was Uplink, then Darwinia

-$tanley

Return to “Introversion Lounge”