Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:11 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:28 pm

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:
xander wrote:
bert_the_turtle wrote:
trickser wrote:Once I entered Starbucks, I asked for a coffee, but my desire was too incomplete.
Well, that is kind of like going to a restaurant and ordering "food".

It is more like going into a burger joint and ordering a burger.

I have a similar problem at the barber, they always have to ask you what you want. I usually reply "make it half as long"
Zeno-style, or just once?
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:11 pm

That reminds me. My number one pet peeve when ordering a coffee is that they ALWAYS ask me 'would you like sugar with that'?

Goddamn no I don't want sugar! If I wanted sugar I would have asked for it.

When I go to a restaurant I don't ask the waiter to spit in my food. If I wanted you to ruin my coffee, I wouldn't have ordered one.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15 am

Which reminds me, every single restaurant I go to decides they must ruin perfectly good glasses of water with lemons.. What is this up-session people have with putting acid into a previously clear and refreshing drink?
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:54 am

Hey, think about it for a second. Some people think sugar is so standard in coffee that they don't even think of mentioning it. You should be thankful they ask and don't just put it in.
tabasco boy
level5
level5

Postby tabasco boy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:25 am

trickser wrote:Once I entered Starbucks, I asked for a coffee, but my desire was too incomplete. So the staff had to guide my longing. I was so stupid, not knowing my own wishes. I felt ashamed, then I payed them.

maybe your problem was not having a ifruit product with you while starting to write a novel. Then maybe the ora of that mystical rounded object could'vt aided you with your decision. :wink:
Eating without Tabasco® Sauce is like a computer without a OS.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:56 am

I'm not sure what to say about this. Still going strong.

Click!
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:20 pm

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:
xander wrote:
bert_the_turtle wrote:
trickser wrote:Once I entered Starbucks, I asked for a coffee, but my desire was too incomplete.

I have a similar problem at the barber, they always have to ask you what you want. I usually reply "make it half as long"

I usualy go for: "like it's now, only shorter."
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:47 pm

paktsardines wrote:Goddamn no I don't want sugar! If I wanted sugar I would have asked for it.

I do not understand this. If I order coffee, I want coffee. If I desire cream or sugar, you should have a little cart or table upon which containers of these items have been placed. I can doctor my own coffee, assuming I feel the need. The only reasonable question to an order of "Coffee" is "Room for cream?" (and this is a reasonable question, as the correct default is to fill the mug as full as possible).

xander
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:08 pm

zjoere wrote:
tllotpfkamvpe wrote:
xander wrote:
bert_the_turtle wrote:

I usualy go for: "like it's now, only shorter."

After trying to get my point across to a barber several years ago he exasperatedly told me "next time, just ask for a tidy up" and it hasn't failed me so far. Just specify how much to take off and you're good!
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:13 pm

"Fun fact: the term "Paddy Wagon" was created by English people who always assumed that the police were picking up Irish (ie "paddy") law breakers."
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:56 pm

jelco wrote:If we're going to do analogies, calling Starbucks' disgusting black liquid "coffee" is like calling McDonald's a five-star restaurant. Here in Europe it's slightly better than the stuff they give you over in the States, but it's just barely drinkable.

And while you're at it, dear Americans, please stop referring to your watery drinks with hints of alcohol as "beer". :P

Jelco

PS: Stereotyping? Me? Never!

Don't forget our American versions of Chocolate!
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:16 pm

jelco wrote:If we're going to do analogies, calling Starbucks' disgusting black liquid "coffee" is like calling McDonald's a five-star restaurant.

I disagree. The relation between Starbucks' coffee and real coffee is akin to the relation between a McDonalds burger and a real burger, as can be obtained at any authentic roadside diner or greasy spoon. Similarly, we might compare an Arby's roast beef sandwich to that which might be obtained at a Jewish deli, and have a similar analogy. Starbucks' coffee is crap (as are McD's burgers and Arby's sandwiches), but one doesn't need to go five star to get something drinkable.

jelco wrote:And while you're at it, dear Americans, please stop referring to your watery drinks with hints of alcohol as "beer". :P

You have clearly never had proper American beer. Might I recommend a Deschutes Brewery "Black Butte Porter" or a Great Basin Brewery "Berlin Ichthyosaur Pale Ale"?

xander
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:26 pm

No, stop dispelling the ignorance! That's how racism dies, you monster. ;-;
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:47 pm

jelco wrote:So...Boston go boom?

xander: I was like being totally serious. See the P.S. :)

Jelco

I understood that. I am just in a sleep-deprived, overly pedantic kind of mood today.

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”