Introversion presenting at the AnimEX festival

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Introversion presenting at the AnimEX festival

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:21 pm

Chris Delay and Mark Morris will be doing a presentation at the AnimEx festival on 7th February at 4.00pm. The Animex Festival is a yearly event that takes place in Middlesbrough and deals with Animation and Computer Games. We will be talking about the unique way we do business, the way in which we made Darwinia, and the problems we see with the industry. So if you happen to live near Teeside, come and see us!

Kieron Gillen is presenting at 11.30am that same day, and his talk is entitled "How to Use and Abuse the Gaming Press, and how the Gaming Press wants to Use and Abuse you". We strongly recommend you check this one out as well, since it has more than a few references to the campaign of guerilla warfare we ran against the UK gaming press for Uplink.
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:47 am

I'd be there if it wasn't a Tuesday :( Good luck anyway IV!
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:00 am

Bloody hell thats a fair way to travel!

Hmm... Tuesday, eh.... I might come this time! I'm free, and it might be worth it!
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:08 pm

I find it amusing that animex, with it's roots in animation, is featuring a talk from the people who made Darwinia, in which barely anything is animated whatsoever.

40 pounds + Train fares to see Chris & Mark (and maybe the delighful Mr Gillen) however, is a bit much. And I live fairly close to there. And now elDiablo maybe understands what I go through on the trains every time I go 'home' from university!

Total side note; might I suggest you get someone to bootleg your talk and then have the fan base distribute it via torrent?
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:39 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Total side note; might I suggest you get someone to bootleg your talk and then have the fan base distribute it via torrent?

Unfortunately, I doubt Iv have a say in it. The organisers will have the last word, and they'd probably say no (or so I'd believe).
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:36 pm

Man I'd go if I was free, but I'm not and too busy house hunting.

As for Chris and Mark's talk...well with Kieron from PCG there they might be able to get them to do something, maybe record Kieron's piece and theirs, stick it on a PCG DVD perhaps, just before the release of Defcon?
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
LeatherRaven
level1
level1

Postby LeatherRaven » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:54 pm

Animex actually has a separate games festival, Goldfish. The games side runs pretty much autonomously from the rest of the animation-based festival. I spoke there last year and I was also the one that recommended Introversion as speakers this time around, as I thought their experience would be of particular interest to the students on the games course. I was due to speak there this year, but I’ve just started some work with Ninja Theory and couldn’t make it. So I roped the famous Mr Gillen into speaking in my place. It was a shame really because I would have liked to have seen Chris and Mark’s talk.

Still I hear from one of the organisers that the talk gave the students “hope for the future”…and that’s no bad thing :D
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:46 pm

The GoldFish wrote:with it's roots in animation

It's is a shortening of it is. The posessive of it is its.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:37 am

prophile wrote:
The GoldFish wrote:with it's roots in animation

It's is a shortening of it is. The posessive of it is its.

So, in other words: it's its, not it's.

xander
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:03 am

Precisely, xander.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:59 am

because I *totally* care, guys. You're only a month late!

I should also point out that, yes, I do actually know that there's a seperate game section. That's why I said roots, not 'it is 100% exclusive to animation!' or something similar - it was kind of a joke; maybe you had to be there.

If you can answer, if you'd been able to go, what would your talk have been about? (good save getting Keiron, btw) And giving students hope? It really must've been a good festival!
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
LeatherRaven
level1
level1

Postby LeatherRaven » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:58 pm

The GoldFish wrote:If you can answer, if you'd been able to go, what would your talk have been about? (good save getting Keiron, btw) And giving students hope? It really must've been a good festival!

It was going to be based on a chapter I've just written for a book. It's entitled 'The Needs of the Audience' - basically it looks at the new audience demographics and how developers can better cater for them and includes lots of new research from the BBC and GameVision Europe. Not the most exciting topic, but the only one I could think of at the time, since most of my projects are NDA'd up. However, I'm working on Heavenly Sword for the PS3 at the moment, so hopefully I'll have something more juicy to talk about next year.

Return to “Introversion News”