Darwinia released on Steam!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:47 pm

Radiobuzz wrote:Come on, it's not that bad, err... prophile... martin?

Somebody call me?
marcan
level1
level1

Postby marcan » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:03 am

OK, Steam DOES suck sometimes - it depends on what you want to do with it. For example, the only reason I can't currently run CS / CS:S / HL2 (at least without some serious hacking I don't want to go through) is because of Steam. I run linux, and I know the games themselves work under the several emulators that are available (I've tried cracked versions - they run. Of course, they are cracked software which I do not want to run, plus it's a major PITA to keep "updating" them to work around anti-piracy measures). But I'd like to use (my brother's) legal account, and I can't. (I'd get an account myself and buy the games myself if I could actually USE them). Also, steam is extremely picky sometimes, even on Windows machines. On several networks I've gotten permanent "servers busy" errors when downloading some games, and those don't go away (you have to copy the game cache files from somewhere else - also annoying). Auth errors are also pretty commonplace. And it does crash sometimes.

For the average joe with the average windows pc on the average network, it works. Try anything slightly weird, and it breaks.

That said, I've just gotten Darwinia from the IV store, and I love how IV makes a linux version - kudos for that one! (you don't get to see many great games on linux - well done guys). Steam obviously makes sense market-wise - some people do hate it, but it's like Windows: not exactly perfect, but most people are willing to cope with it. And IV wins both ways since they also sell the boxed version.
Jino
level0

Postby Jino » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:58 am

A couple of months before it came out on Steam, I found out about Darwinia from Gamespot. I wanted to buy it in stores, but they just didn't have it anywhere. I was playing Condition Zero one day when I saw Rag Doll Kung Fu and wished Darwinia came out via Steam. It was announced, and I pre-ordered it.

Now I can have so much fun. Thanks Steam, you actually did something useful this time. ;)
dark_gamer
level0

Postby dark_gamer » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:46 pm

marcan wrote:
Steam obviously makes sense market-wise - some people do hate it, but it's like Windows: not exactly perfect, but most people are willing to cope with it.

I think for many of us out here in the ozone, it's not so much that we are willing to cope with Windows but rather that we have few viable alternatives.

[Rant] Personally, I hate Microsoft and every product they have ever produced. But there are more programs available for Windows then any other OS around. I still hope that Linux will put Microsux out of business one day. Or at least be competative enough that software companys will code for it as much as they do Windows.

Open source rules! [/Rant]

Sorry, I may have gotten off-topic. Sheesh.
IDIC - Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
DemonSlay
level1
level1

Postby DemonSlay » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:47 pm

Meh, only thing i have against microsoft is that their hardware is horrible to use (like mouses, keyboards, etc)

Nothing wrong with windows as far as i can tell....

Return to “Introversion News”