Darwinia released on Steam!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Bitter Sticks
level1
level1

Postby Bitter Sticks » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:12 am

Darksun wrote:Ultimatly though, the Steam deal has been great for Introversion. They've made more in three weeks on steam than they did in the time since launch.

That's very GOOD news, now IV has more cash in their pockets!
ImageImage
lol.
scorpmoon
level0

Postby scorpmoon » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:09 pm

Isn't it really obvious why steam is evil? HL2 is the only singleplayer game I know of, that requires you to be online to play it. Do they really trust their customers that much? It is obtrusive. It installs itself into your startup tasks without asking, and pops up everytime you restart your computer. I buy HL2, I want to play the game, not infest my harddrive with anything else but the game. Same story goes for Darwinia.

There's too many proprietary gaming "networks". Gamespy being the closest competitor. Gamespy is evil too, but that's another story.

But seriously. Darwinia has already lost my attention. I liked the graphics and controls, but that's all there is to it.. There's no multiplayer. I think it's a Populous ripoff, not adding much to the genre.
Dave2
level4
level4

Postby Dave2 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:26 pm

scorpmoon wrote:I buy HL2, I want to play the game, not infest my harddrive with anything else but the game. Same story goes for Darwinia.

Nobody is forced to buy Darwinia from Steam if they dislike it for whatever reason. It's just as easy to buy a retail box - just more expensive, and you have to wait for physical delivery. In addition, Darwinia bought via Steam can be played without Steam even running (from what I have heard).

I'm not a fan of games like HL2 requiring people to activate their retail copies via Steam (a PITA), but Darwinia does not share this feature.
Don't think about The Game.
Bitter Sticks
level1
level1

Postby Bitter Sticks » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:37 pm

scorpmoon wrote:Isn't it really obvious why steam is evil? HL2 is the only singleplayer game I know of, that requires you to be online to play it. Do they really trust their customers that much? It is obtrusive. bIt installs itself into your startup tasks without asking, and pops up everytime you restart your computer. I buy HL2, I want to play the game, not infest my harddrive with anything else but the game. Same story goes for Darwinia.

There's too many proprietary gaming "networks". Gamespy being the closest competitor. Gamespy is evil too, but that's another story.

But seriously. Darwinia has already lost my attention. I liked the graphics and controls, but that's all there is to it.. There's no multiplayer. I think it's a Populous ripoff, not adding much to the genre.

BULLSHIT. I have HL2 and it doesn't not do any of that crap you just said. It's not in my startup task, it has never been there, nor does it pop up everytime i restart my computer. You seriously are stupid saying it's evil. And for the record, you can play HL2 offline, you just need to set it to "remember my password" then go on in offline mode.
It doesn't have multiplayer yet.
ImageImage

lol.
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:29 am

scorpmoon wrote:Isn't it really obvious why steam is evil? HL2 is the only singleplayer game I know of, that requires you to be online to play it.

It requires you to go online only once. Unfotunately, it can take several hours to get everything fully updated on a slow connection, but once you have authentication you can use offline mode, and Steam support goes so far as to tell you what you have to backup to be able to regain offline mode if it should have problems at a later date. True, a really robust offline mode would be desirable - Id like to be able to tell it to stay offline even though I have a net connection open, for instance if I was downloading a patch for another game in the background, I dont want steam taking all the bandwidth. But what we have is workable.
Do they really trust their customers that much? It is obtrusive. It installs itself into your startup tasks without asking,

It asks.
and pops up everytime you restart your computer.

Unless you tell it not to. You know, when it asked you about whether it should start on startup. Also, you can disable this behaviour yourself.
I buy HL2, I want to play the game, not infest my harddrive with anything else but the game. Same story goes for Darwinia.

Well, buy it direct from IV. You cant download it from them, but they will ship you a retail copy. And its entirely independant of Steam, not like HL2 where the retail copy is just the same program on disc.

Well, you have the right to your opinion, wrong though it is. And multiplayer is coming.
dark_gamer
level0

I'm new here...

Postby dark_gamer » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:07 pm

Salute !

I'm new here, having just seen the forums for the first time while visiting the Darwinian Website.

I keep hearing the same old complaints about "Steam" of which most are no longer true. As with any new and evolving content management system, there were bugs early on but most have been resolved long ago.

It really boils down to what you are willing to do (or accept) to get great game content. My view on it is a simple one. I'll pay the money for a good game. I'll register it if it keeps me updated to new content. I'll accept content control client software if it helps keep a good software company finacially viable. And if I don't want it on my system, I won't buy it. It's really not a hard decision to make.

Personally, I don't mind Steam. It has far more advantages then disadvantages. It has never caused a problem on my system but if it ever does, I can turn it off. It told me about Darwinia and I bought it. I may well have missed it altogether if it wasn't for Steam. And, I downloaded the full game in minutes.

It just seems to me that too many folks complain about rather trivial matters. I guess they are "glass-half-empty" sort of folks. Too bad though. Life's too short.

I'm too busy having a blast playing "Darwinia"!!

Anyone notice the change in the game that occured at midnight Christmas eve?
Clever !
IDIC - Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:09 pm

Gah! My eyes!

xander

EDIT: Thank you, NeoThermic.
Radiobuzz
level2
level2

Postby Radiobuzz » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:12 pm

xander wrote:Gah! My eyes!

xander

Come on, it's not that bad, err... prophile... martin?
Og hér ert Þú, glósóli...
dark_gamer
level0

Postby dark_gamer » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:18 pm

Salute !

Sorry! That cyan was a bit rough. I changed it to white for the same reason. Yikes!
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:19 pm

xander wrote:EDIT: Thank you, NeoThermic.

Thanks, but I did nothing ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:21 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:EDIT: Thank you, NeoThermic.

Thanks, but I did nothing ;)

NeoThermic

Well, nevermind, then. Thank you, dark_gamer, though the yellow is still a bit rough on the eyes. Why not just use the defaults?

xander
dark_gamer
level0

Postby dark_gamer » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:23 pm

As you wish.

n/p

Just used to a different board.

Have some adjustments to make. ; )
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:39 am

Radiobuzz wrote:
xander wrote:Gah! My eyes!

xander

Come on, it's not that bad, err... prophile... martin?

What are you suggesting? :D
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
dark_gamer
level0

Postby dark_gamer » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:30 am

Suspicions abound...LOL.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:00 am

scorpmoon wrote:But seriously. Darwinia has already lost my attention. I liked the graphics and controls, but that's all there is to it.. There's no multiplayer. I think it's a Populous ripoff, not adding much to the genre.

Hmm, the genre being? Lets see, the closest I can think of is cannon fodder... But its not that much like Darwinia... And there has been little of that genre since cannon fodder.

And as for the HL2 needing to be online, for the first time you use it... I think its a good idea. If there wasn't so much piracy, then it wouldn't need to go to these measures. People are just trying to live by making sure only people who pay for the games can play it. Shame the human race sucks and we steal things, and it has to come to this. Oh well =/
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.

Return to “Introversion News”