Patch v1.2 released for Darwinia (win32)

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:22 pm

hehe

Yes, unfortunatly, Maddie is a very shy cat and the sudden publicity she's gained from the release of Darwinia has pushed her into hiding. I drew a picture in paint for you, though.

0beron
level1
level1

Postby 0beron » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:53 am

Just to report I had a couple of issues playing old profiles with the new patch. It complained about an invalid map file? Then when Darwinia loads it always crashes since it tries to load that profile again. I renamed my users folder so it would create me a fresh one and that seems to work OK. This is probably to be expected.

The engineer task indicator is a really useful addition - means that if you need one pronto you can pick an idle one to terminate and replace rather than randomly choosing one that's still carrying souls or having to go a nd check.
panda of doom
level1
level1

Postby panda of doom » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:57 am

edit: ignore.
vigor
level0

graphics options no longer changeable

Postby vigor » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:33 pm

I installed Darwinia from scratch into another directory. First install from the original CD, then unzip the 1.2 patch over the top. It still crashes as soon as I click on 'Garden'.

I went to play around with graphics options, but I noticed that I can no longer change them! I used to be able to change land detail, sky detail, etc. But now I select the new option and click 'Apply' and nothing happens. The apply button appears to click, but no visible change occurs. After I exit the settings menu and come back, the options are back to what they were before.

Some of the other options menus do work, but not the graphics options.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:58 pm

Have you investigated the 'RenderLandscapeMode' setting in preferences? I recall that mode 2 crashed Neothermic's Laptop - and apparently, IV have made 2 default in 1.2. This could be the reason for it not crashing until you enter garden.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:16 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Have you investigated the 'RenderLandscapeMode' setting in preferences? I recall that mode 2 crashed Neothermic's Laptop - and apparently, IV have made 2 default in 1.2. This could be the reason for it not crashing until you enter garden.

Yeah, 2 crashed it, 0 was best for it. YMMV though, but at minimum, keep away from 2. :)

For those that like graphs:
http://www.neothermic.com/darwinia/beta ... Laptop.png

NeoThermic
Hendar23
level1
level1

Postby Hendar23 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:39 pm

Yay for playable framerates!
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Hendar23
HypoCee
level1
level1

A Showstopper

Postby HypoCee » Sun May 01, 2005 3:54 am

I have the same problem with the Generator dish - there's simply no way to get Dns onto the third power island and complete the level because the mountaintop dish won't transmit anywhere and it's the only one with line-of-sight. It seems to point on the right azimuth. On the plus side, performance has improved immensely. Eagerly awaiting 1.3 (on island 4.2).

(edit: Stupid guess, it's not the height difference because the others lock onto it just fine.)
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sun May 01, 2005 4:37 am

As I stated in another post earlier in this thread, until it's fixed, you can Dish in D'ans from the first island you start on [with the Containment Trunk Port] to the third one [the one with the Mine Trunk Port] - direct line of sight between two hilly areas.
0beron
level1
level1

Postby 0beron » Sun May 01, 2005 5:00 am

Hmmm - further report on my v1.2 playthrough - playing the yard I was using a squad to kill virii on the island with the trunk port from Generator, then letting them grow back from eggs and harvesting souls.
The game crashed after I launched a grenade salvo at a swarm of virii, during the explosion sound effect, the game died and put me back to windows with a 'Darwinia encountered a problem and had to be shut down' error. This is almost identical to the errors on reported on Biosphere and Patter Buffer on v1 under windows, except this time I was shooting virii and not red DGs.
djgizmoe
level0

Newbie alert

Postby djgizmoe » Sun May 01, 2005 10:52 am

Just picked up the CD yesterday, installed it and tried to get the patch, but apparently I haven't found the right folder. Maybe I'm just really hungover, but I can't figure it out... :) And with all the complaints about the new patch, should I even bother with it now?
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sun May 01, 2005 11:36 am

Well, the new patch improves performance if you have issues, it also tweaks the mod engine slightly, so I think you'll probably want it
vigor
level0

Postby vigor » Sun May 01, 2005 3:14 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Yeah, 2 crashed it, 0 was best for it. YMMV though, but at minimum, keep away from 2. :)

Thanks! That did it. Now I can play it through for the 3rd time and see if I can get it unlocked this time! (1.0 crashed on both Linux & Windows during the exit video, leaving the game without anything to do but without unlocking it).

On my couple year old laptop in 1024x768 with default quality settings on the containment level,
mode 0 gets me about 25-30 fps
mode 1 gets about 18 fps
mode 2, instant crash (on any level)..
Dru Lee Parsec
level1
level1

Postby Dru Lee Parsec » Sun May 01, 2005 11:22 pm

Does anybody know the name of the new bootloader?

Thanks
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Mon May 02, 2005 1:21 am

Dru Lee Parsec wrote:Does anybody know the name of the new bootloader?

Thanks

Amiga.

Return to “Introversion News”