Defcon due September 2006

The forum with all your Introversion News!
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:30 pm

Montyphy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:and why google?

Not many people would know the details you stated unless they were 'getting Disability Living Allowance at the higher rate' and since I was unaware your disabilities put you into that category it was safer to assume you had Googled the details. Obviously my assumption was wrong :P

This is the internet. If you assume something, you'll be shocked at every corner. ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:34 pm

Montyphy wrote:Well your roads are usually bigger and better planned so it's probably safer to start younger than us.

Actually, the young driving age is something of an anachronism -- younger kids were allowed to drive so that they could work on the farms. It was assumed that anyone from 14 up would be working on the farm, and would know how to drive a tractor. If you can drive a tractor, you can drive a car. In most states, it is well nigh impossible to get a license before 16; and in several states, there exist graduated licensing schemes. These graduated licensing programs won't let you get a real license until you are 18 (there are several restrictions before that, i.e. you can't have passengers, you can't drive after dark, you must drive on particular routes (i.e. to and from work and school), any moving violations will result in revokation of the license, &c.).

Also, when you make an assumption, you make an ass out of "u", and you too.

xander
jpcoop14
level1
level1

Postby jpcoop14 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:04 am

Yeah, we have a GDL scheme in WV. At 15 you can get a learner's permit so you can drive with your parents in the front seat. Once you've turned 16 and either logged 30 hours behind the wheel or taken Driver's Ed you can get a restricted license-only 2 people under like 18 in the car and can't drive from 11 PM to 6 AM (with exceptions). Once you turn 17 (if you haven't wrecked too much) you can apply for an unrestricted license, or you automatically get it when you turn 18.

Oh, and our licenses are color-coded (red=under 18, blue=under 21), so someone underage cant weasel a case of beer out of the 7-11 clerk.
Chris (from Family Guy): There's this game where you put a dolar in and you win four quarters. I win every time!
TheToyMaker
level1
level1

Postby TheToyMaker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:35 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
Montyphy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:In the UK the drinking age is 18 (but so is the driving age, something the Americans do better on in most states).

Actually, the legal driving age in the UK is 17. Although if you want to ride a moped you can legally do so at the age of 16.

If you wish to be that pedantic, you can drive a car at 16 if you've got a disabled licence...

NeoThermic

dude americans can drive at 16 period.

EDIT:

i am unaware of a state that doesnt allow at least a restricted license at 16, and in virginia we can get a permit at 15 and 6 months. at 16 if you dont have any points(earned by speeding violations, car crashes, etc.) you automatically get your less restricted license, i.e. you can have other ppl in the car other than your parent, but only one passenger under 18, and then at 18 you get an unrestricted one. For people under 21 the licenses say "under 21 until <insert holder's 21st birthday>" but no color coding.
Last edited by TheToyMaker on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:38 pm

TheToyMaker wrote:dude americans can drive at 16 period.

Not in all states. More and more states are creating graduated licensing schemes. Read the post above yours for an example.

xander
TheToyMaker
level1
level1

Postby TheToyMaker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:44 pm

xander wrote:

Not in all states. More and more states are creating graduated licensing schemes. Read the post above yours for an example.

xander

you did something evil xander.
you posted while i was editing.
dont do that, because as you can see ive corrected the errors in my previous post.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:19 pm

That's it! Everyone ask TheToyMaker for permission before posting!

(By the way, can I post this?)
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:27 pm

trickfred wrote:That's it! Everyone ask TheToyMaker for permission before posting!

(By the way, can I post this?)

NO, GO AWAY :(
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:40 pm

Yet we in the UK can drink at 18. Period. What about you? Whats that? 21? But you can go to war with another country and die for it at 18? Hmm....

TheToyMaker wrote:EDIT:

i am unaware of a state that doesnt allow at least a restricted license at 16, and in virginia we can get a permit at 15 and 6 months. at 16 if you dont have any points(earned by speeding violations, car crashes, etc.) you automatically get your less restricted license, i.e. you can have other ppl in the car other than your parent, but only one passenger under 18, and then at 18 you get an unrestricted one. For people under 21 the licenses say "under 21 until <insert holder's 21st birthday>" but no color coding.

Well, lets see. Connecticut has 16.5 years minimum age for *any* licence. They have no restricted licence scheme. Indiana is 16 years and one month exact; no restricted licences. New Jersey limits drivers to a restricted licence at 16, at 17 you have a less restricted licence, and at 18 you get your full licence. New York is nearly identical, but you can get a full licence at 17 if you take drivers ed.

Thus you're technically incorrect by saying the legal age is 16 period, as 16.5 certinally isn't equal to 16.

As noted above, however, other countries enjoy freedom of other restricted items at a younger age.

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:41 pm

NeoThermic wrote:

Yet we in the UK can drink at 18. Period. What about you? Whats that? 21? But you can go to war with another country and die for it at 18? Hmm....

With that, NeoThermic wins this thread. To all the losers, better luck next time.

xander
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:05 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Yet we in the UK can drink at 18. Period. What about you? Whats that? 21? But you can go to war with another country and die for it at 18? Hmm....

That reminds me, you remember when Me300 went to Iraq? He was really angry at being able to go and die for your country, but not get wasted for another 3 years.

I hope he's still.. you know...

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
jpcoop14
level1
level1

Postby jpcoop14 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:15 pm

Not everyone in our country agrees with every action our government takes or every decision our "President" makes.
Chris (from Family Guy): There's this game where you put a dolar in and you win four quarters. I win every time!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:21 pm

Babylon5 wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Yet we in the UK can drink at 18. Period. What about you? Whats that? 21? But you can go to war with another country and die for it at 18? Hmm....

That reminds me, you remember when Me300 went to Iraq? He was really angry at being able to go and die for your country, but not get wasted for another 3 years.

I hope he's still.. you know...

He had pics a while back -- I thought he was in Korea?

Me300, you still here?

xander
Last edited by xander on Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:35 pm

jpcoop14 wrote:Not everyone in our country agrees with every action our government takes or every decision our "President" makes.

Of course. However, I didn't say that everyone did or not; just noted the current state of law in the US.

NeoThermic
jpcoop14
level1
level1

Postby jpcoop14 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:40 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
jpcoop14 wrote:Not everyone in our country agrees with every action our government takes or every decision our "President" makes.

Of course. However, I didn't say that everyone did or not; just noted the current state of law in the US.

NeoThermic

I know. I was only pointing that out because I know there is a lot of international resentment towards some of the decisions our government has made.

Return to “Introversion News”