Welcome to our new forums!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:35 pm

Yeah, but I think people want some indication of their heritage, hence my suggestion!
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:39 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Yeah, but I think people want some indication of their heritage, hence my suggestion!

I like the idea of "My favorite game" -- could it be user setable (i.e. from a dropdown?). Setting it based upon which forum is joined first could cause confusion, as I could see someone joining the Darwinia forums to ask a questions, learning about Uplink, and becoming an active member of the Uplink forums without ever looking at Darwinia again.

So, perhaps, the heritage ought to come from a user setable dropdown, or be the forum with the most posts (i.e. I would show as Darwinia, SBM would show as Uplink, &c.).

xander
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:45 pm

Some people will not want to choose a "favorite game" though. For instance Hektik sniper, el Diablo, and Darksun all post a lot on the Darwinia forums but are (or have been) heavy posters on the Uplink forums. :)
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:08 pm

It was my intention from the start to have it actually be perceived as 'games' anyway... in fact, maybe just display the chosen game icons under their names, that would solve the issue of having a total army of words there if they wanted all of them shown.

Either way, I feel that statistics aren't the way to go, and something nicer to look at is always a plus.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:19 pm

The GoldFish wrote:It was my intention from the start to have it actually be perceived as 'games' anyway... in fact, maybe just display the chosen game icons under their names, that would solve the issue of having a total army of words there if they wanted all of them shown.

Either way, I feel that statistics aren't the way to go, and something nicer to look at is always a plus.

Perhaps this is a silly idea, but here goes:
On each of the forums, there is some kind of icon that represents number of posts -- on the Darwinia forums, there is a string of DGs; on the uplink forums, a string of blue dots; &c. Rather than show post counts, perhaps you could display each of those icons (or some modification there of), and include only post count for the current board as a number.

So, if someone were on the Darwinia forums, it might look something like:

--------------------
SomeUser
Total Posts:

You could remove the game specific post count for the general forum, or not include it at all -- whatever makes the most sense to the most people.

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:10 pm

Yes, make it more complicated than it (hopefully) needs to be!

Wait what am I saying?
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:34 pm

My feeling is that if you are on the Darwinia boards you don't need to know how much someone posts on the other boards specifically. All you really need to know is how much they post on the Darwinia boards and how many posts they have overall. From that you can deduce all you need to know. The full distribution of the posts doesn't really matter.

That said it would be interesting to see what different people's posting statistics look like (say in a bar graph with each forum, hints and tips, bug reports, general, etc, all represented). This is not something that I think should be a part of the forums I just think it would be interesting. :)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:47 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Yes, make it more complicated than it (hopefully) needs to be!

Wait what am I saying?

From the user perspective, I don't see how this is much more visually complicated than the single icon that you suggested above. It just adds a bit of information to the icon that you suggested.

From a coding perspective, it might be harder -- I just don't know. That is why it was phrased as a question. There was really no need for you to be so caustic...

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:My feeling is that if you are on the Darwinia boards you don't need to know how much someone posts on the other boards specifically. All you really need to know is how much they post on the Darwinia boards and how many posts they have overall.

Indeed, you are probably correct. However, would something like the above seem reasonable for the general boards?

xander
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:07 pm

I think for the general IV forums it might be best to just use a total post count. It's certainly debatable, but I think the less clutter the better. :)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:20 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:I think for the general IV forums it might be best to just use a total post count. It's certainly debatable, but I think the less clutter the better. :)

Maybe. I am kind of a statistics junkie, and like to see all of that information, but I can only speak for myself. :)

xander
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:39 pm

I like the first choice...

Code:
[username]

[avatar]

IV Posts: [count]
Uplink Posts: [count]
Darwinia Posts: [count]
Defcon Posts: [count]
Puzzlemaker
level2
level2

Postby Puzzlemaker » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:57 pm

What if they make more games?

I prefer the latter. Less clutter, gives you the info you need.

HOWEVER, in their PROFILE it should show the posts for all the forums, so you could pull that up if you want to.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:18 pm

I think the way it is now but with an option for showing post details over all the forums would be the best choice.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:08 am

Puzzlemaker wrote:What if they make more games?

I prefer the latter. Less clutter, gives you the info you need.

HOWEVER, in their PROFILE it should show the posts for all the forums, so you could pull that up if you want to.

What like a drop down list or something? That would work. I know I buy every game I get my hands on, I'm sure I will become a member of the other forums as I play. It would be nice to know what's happining at each forum as you get envolved with the next game.
Dezmond
level4
level4

Postby Dezmond » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:44 pm

It's good to see IV innovating like this, I didn't know such a thing was possible on PhpBB. Interesting... I've got some websites that could use something like this.

On the topic of Uplink and Darwinia members not getting along, it's a non-issue. Many people are in both communities, and also both games have a similar feel in that they're so retro they're futuristic (as is Defcon).

Nice work IV!

Return to “Introversion News”