Defcon on the EeePc 1000 better running on Windows or Linux?

Technical support for all issues relating to Defcon Linux

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Axus
level1
level1

Defcon on the EeePc 1000 better running on Windows or Linux?

Postby Axus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:16 am

I'm thinking of buying an Asus Eee Pc 1000, the Linux version. And Defcon is going to definetly be installed. So, would it run faster and with better graphics on the Linux distribution included with the Eee Pc or on Windows?

Thanks in advance.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:03 pm

This is a good question, what video card there is in that thing?

Once you know this, I guess you could compare drivers quality between Windows and Linux (If it's ATI or nVidia and you install the binary drivers I guess you should get something similar on both platforms).
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Axus
level1
level1

Postby Axus » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:21 am

Well, the video card on the Eee Pc 1000 is the Intel GMA 950, it's been around for a while so windows drivers should be very refined at this point. About the linux version, i really don't know about drivers on linux, actually im taking the plunge here with the Eee Pc. Beacuse i have never used Linux before and what to give a try.

So, with this in mind, does this help in anyway in figuring out in which OS would the game run better?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:28 am

AFAIK, the Intel Linux drivers are good, too. One argument in favour of the Linux version would be that I think it potentially eats away less of the main memory and storage space, but with that model, it should not matter too much.

One drawback of Linux, graphics wise, is that it is not possible to change the colour depth of the display on the fly. If your desktop runs at 32 bits per pixel, so will the game you launch on it, possibly limiting its performance. Unless one of the real gurus here tells me I'm a n00b and you just have to do X, Y and W to run a game in 16 bit on a 32 bit desktop. (I know you can have a second desktop, but that is kind of awkward.)
Axus
level1
level1

Postby Axus » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:46 pm

Ok! Well... great, i guess i'll give linux a chance. I also see your point on the game running on linux, beacuse linux has a smaller footprint on the Pc's hardware the game should have more resources to take from. Beacuse, Linus uses less resources.

Return to “Linux Troubleshooting”