Moderator: Defcon moderators

Alyssa
level1
level1

Doesn't work on gentoo under VMware

Postby Alyssa » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:51 am

I get the following error when trying to run:

Code: Select all

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  135 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)
  Value in failed request:  0x3e
  Serial number of failed request:  124
  Current serial number in output stream:  126
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  107 (X_SetScreenSaver)
  Value in failed request:  0x4
  Serial number of failed request:  133
  Current serial number in output stream:  137

And then the program just exits. It seems it is having trouble going into full-screen mode. Can I set an option to make it run in windowed mode?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:51 pm

Have you tried running it under gentoo without using vmware?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Alyssa
level1
level1

Postby Alyssa » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:54 pm

No, I only have a VMware installation, no native installation.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:12 pm

You don't have a native installation of Defcon? Easily fixed -- download the Linux patch from http://everybody-dies.com . It uses the same keys as the Windows version.

Otherwise, you are being very unclear, and it would help if you explained exactly what your setup is. Are you running Windows in VMWare? What is the host OS? What, exactly, are you trying to do?

xander
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:49 am

My impression was that he was running Windows, and was running Gentoo through vmware.
On gentoo, it's much better to install using the ebuild, even though it's slightly out of date.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:22 pm

estel wrote:My impression was that he was running Windows, and was running Gentoo through vmware.
On gentoo, it's much better to install using the ebuild, even though it's slightly out of date.

Aside from the question, why would anyone even try to run the game this way?
Firstly, if I'd emulate anything at all, it'd be windows from a linux host. Not the way around.
Secondly, since there are native clients for three different OSes, why bother with virtualisation? It's not going to make troubleshooting easier for one, and it's definitely not going to improve performance over running the native client in the OS it was built for...
MrMarkie
level0

Postby MrMarkie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:51 am

Aren't we missing the point here? The more ways we make it work the better it gets, right?
Running linux through vmware on a windows-box and trying to get Defcon to run might not be optimal but it should be possible, so if anyone got a possible explaination to why this problem occur then please drop a line.
I think the main point here is the ability to do, not what should be done.

Cheers
/M
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:29 am

MrMarkie wrote:Aren't we missing the point here? The more ways we make it work the better it gets, right?
Running linux through vmware on a windows-box and trying to get Defcon to run might not be optimal but it should be possible, so if anyone got a possible explaination to why this problem occur then please drop a line.
I think the main point here is the ability to do, not what should be done.

Cheers
/M

I agree, with this reservation: if you suggest we do our best -as a community- to suggest solutions or troubleshooting steps, I'm with you.
If you propose developer(s) get assigned to "making this work" I'm saying there are plenty more worthwhile things to look into.

However, in the gist of the 1st thing: Alyssa, do you have the VMWare Tools installed? Without them your vmware host will not be able to use a high resolution and more then 256 colours if I'm not mistaken. This COULD be your problem (though I'm pessimistic).

Keep in mind that you are emulating a game, which needs 3d acceleration and as such access to the hardware directly. With the emulation and windows in between, this could be your problem.
Or, to put it simply: can you run any other game that way? (besides tetris, pong, pr0nsaw, .... :roll: )
Is your windows Vista by any chance? I could see the UAC get in between and not be happy with any of what you are trying to achieve ;)

edit: Oh and you're all saying "him him" but Alyssa seems more like a feminine nickname :PJust as does say, NeoThermic :lol:
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Re: Doesn't work on gentoo under VMware

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:20 am

Alyssa wrote:It seems it is having trouble going into full-screen mode. Can I set an option to make it run in windowed mode?

locate the preferences.txt file (IIRC it resides in ~/.defcon/ )

There'll be some config lines, the one you want is ScreenWindowed; set it to 1 and it'll be in windowed mode.

NeoThermic
MrMarkie
level0

Postby MrMarkie » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:10 am

I agree, with this reservation: if you suggest we do our best -as a community- to suggest solutions or troubleshooting steps, I'm with you.
If you propose developer(s) get assigned to "making this work" I'm saying there are plenty more worthwhile things to look into.

edit: Oh and you're all saying "him him" but Alyssa seems more like a feminine nickname

Yup, that's what I mean, we as a community. The developers have their hands full developing things I'm sure and most problems can be solved by working around them and some ingenious tinkering :D

About the gender of the nickname I would like to remind you of the old saying about IRC "All males on IRC are really males, all females on IRC are really males and all children on IRC are really FBI agents who are male" I'm sure this is true for the whole Internet and part of is definately true for a bar I accidently ended up in recently. Man was I surprised.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:41 pm

MrMarkie wrote:

edit: Oh and you're all saying "him him" but Alyssa seems more like a feminine nickname

Yup, that's what I mean, we as a community. The developers have their hands full developing things I'm sure and most problems can be solved by working around them and some ingenious tinkering :D

About the gender of the nickname I would like to remind you of the old saying about IRC "All males on IRC are really males, all females on IRC are really males and all children on IRC are really FBI agents who are male" I'm sure this is true for the whole Internet and part of is definately true for a bar I accidently ended up in recently. Man was I surprised.

Then we're on the same wave length ;)
Too bad we haven't heard from the OP, as I admit the problem intrigues me.

Well, I don't care if the poster is male or female. But it is somehow and somewhat sexist to assume there are no women on the internet, you know ;)
(Obviously, I mean besides all the camsluts :P )

(I'm not sure I want to comment on your unfortunate bar night :P)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:19 pm

th3r r w0minz 0n t3h int4rw3bz? n0 WAI!1!1!1!1!!!1!!1!oneone

xander
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:32 pm

xander wrote:th3r r w0minz 0n t3h int4rw3bz? n0 WAI!1!1!1!1!!!1!!1!oneone

xander

7u891r| lulz
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:57 pm

KingAl wrote:7u891r| lulz

I don't know what is more frightening -- the fact that I can read that, or the fact that I know what it refers too. 0_o

xander
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:24 pm

Yay! I was able to decipher it too!
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “Linux Troubleshooting”