Crappy and obsolete hardware

Technical support for all issues relating to Defcon Linux

Moderator: Defcon moderators

MrMarkie
level0

Crappy and obsolete hardware

Postby MrMarkie » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:50 am

Ok linux crowd, let's get something going. Let's try to run Defcon on crappy and obsolete hardware, do what you can and fire up the old calculators.

I got it running rather well on 400 mhz Intel Pentium with 192 mb RAM and a GeForce Ti 4200, surely this can be beaten. The box is running Xubuntu by the way so there is obviously ways to slim things down further to get it running on even crappier hardware.

Maybe if one configures a box to load networking and shit and spawn a Xserver and autostart Defcon. Just Defcon and nothing but exactly what Defcon needs to run. Hmmm, I'll have to look in to this at the expense of my work.
Would be cool to have a computer that runs Defcon and nothing else, a dedicated warstation. Did that a few years back with Quake and got it to work rather well, with a lot of help from wierd linux gurus and a lot of headscratching.

This will be fun.

/M

edit: Sorry for spamming the tech support forum with non-tech-support issues
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:01 pm

I've managed to get Defcon running on an 8 year old Yosemite G3, running OS X 10.3.9. This machine has an old ATI Rage video card, and a 300 MHz G3 processor. It is a Mac, not running Linux, but I figured I would interject, anyway. The lobby effects are slow as hell, and the game is very hard to play, but it runs.

xander
MrMarkie
level0

Postby MrMarkie » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:19 pm

Goodie :D

I'm working on beating that, as soon as I can get the hold of some crappier hardware.

/M
ewanm
level3
level3

Postby ewanm » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:07 am

Turn lobby animation and smooth lines off for a major spead boost.

Return to “Linux Troubleshooting”