Graphical installer for Defcon 1.42

Technical support for all issues relating to Defcon Linux

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Jaus
level0
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:42 am

Postby Jaus » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:30 pm

LokiSetup does that - That's not a bug...

You can deactivate it in the installer, if you don't want the symbol-link...
User avatar
Thunor
level1
level1
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Súðeást Engla Land
Contact:

Postby Thunor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:24 pm

torig wrote:Why are you creating a symbolic link -named defcon- in /home/user after an installation to /home/user/defcon ?
It's only logical this fails ;)

On my system Loki Setup creates links in ~/.local/bin when installing locally. It selects this directory by default.

I'd say the directories it offers in the drop down list are coming from ~/.bashrc.

You can create ~/.local/bin yourself and add it to your PATH (in ~/.bashrc). Then in future Loki Setup won't dump things into your home folder because you didn't tell it not to :)

Autopackage is another installer that uses this folder.
torig
level5
level5
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:19 pm

Postby torig » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Jaus wrote:LokiSetup does that - That's not a bug...

You can deactivate it in the installer, if you don't want the symbol-link...


How can it not be a bug, if you try to write a file with a name that is in use by a directory already? ;)
It'd be cleaner to add the $installdir to $PATH, than to do what is happening now, but if that's out of your control (due to it being due to LokiSetup) it's OK.
Just wanted to share this.

Thunor wrote::

You can create ~/.local/bin yourself and add it to your PATH (in ~/.bashrc). Then in future Loki Setup won't dump things into your home folder because you didn't tell it not to :)


Well yes, but then I can as well skip the graphical installer entirely and do everything right myself :)
User avatar
Thunor
level1
level1
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Súðeást Engla Land
Contact:

Postby Thunor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:42 pm

torig wrote:How can it not be a bug, if you try to write a file with a name that is in use by a directory already? ;)

Ah yes, I think I'd call that an 'issue' :). If the user's home folder is the [default] target for the defcon directory and the symlink then these will conflict, or the user chooses the same directory for both.

Typing 'defcon' is preferable therefore the installation directory should be something else by default e.g. defcon-linux.
torig
level5
level5
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:19 pm

Postby torig » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:07 am

Thunor wrote:
torig wrote:How can it not be a bug, if you try to write a file with a name that is in use by a directory already? ;)

Ah yes, I think I'd call that an 'issue' :). If the user's home folder is the [default] target for the defcon directory and the symlink then these will conflict, or the user chooses the same directory for both.

Typing 'defcon' is preferable therefore the installation directory should be something else by default e.g. defcon-linux.


:)
Well, I agree it's not really a bug, and far from showstopping. But it isn't clean and should not happen. Inexperienced linux users could get confused or would not find defcon in their path, which would potentially be annoying (especially if no desktop icons or menu entries were created).

The defcon-1.42 final release version nicely untars to defcon-1.42, which would have been fine if used in the graphical installer indeed.
sneg
level0
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:34 am

Postby sneg » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:43 am

Hi!
Graphical installer failed running on my Fedora7 x86_64 box:

Code: Select all

$ sh ./defcon-linux-1.42-final.run --confirm
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
About to extract 68960 KB in /tmp/selfgz35342183 ... Proceed ? [Y/n] y
Uncompressing Defcon for Linux - Version 1.42 FINAL..........................................................
OK to execute: ./setup.sh   ? [Y/n] y
The setup program seems to have failed on x86_64/glibc-2.1

Fatal error, no tech support email configured in this setup
The program './setup.sh' returned an error code (1)


$ uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 #1 SMP Wed May 23 22:47:07 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

any suggestions? You're welcome to request any additional information or testing.
torig
level5
level5
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:19 pm

Postby torig » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:48 pm

sneg wrote:any suggestions? You're welcome to request any additional information or testing.


Not that I have more of a clue than anyone else, but could your glibc package just be to outdated?
I notice that debian stable has glibc 2.3 while debian sid (unstable) is at 2.5.
However, the reason debian stable has 2.3 which seems fairly recent is because etch (debian 4.0, or "the new stable) was only released 8th April 2007.

Try updating your system and see what it gives?

(I could be talking out of my erh rear end here, completely, though, but updating your system never hurts. (Unless it *is* Debian unstable :P )
Jaus
level0
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:42 am

Postby Jaus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:23 pm

sneg wrote:Hi!
Graphical installer failed running on my Fedora7 x86_64 box:

Code: Select all

$ sh ./defcon-linux-1.42-final.run --confirm
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
About to extract 68960 KB in /tmp/selfgz35342183 ... Proceed ? [Y/n] y
Uncompressing Defcon for Linux - Version 1.42 FINAL..........................................................
OK to execute: ./setup.sh   ? [Y/n] y
The setup program seems to have failed on x86_64/glibc-2.1

Fatal error, no tech support email configured in this setup
The program './setup.sh' returned an error code (1)


$ uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 #1 SMP Wed May 23 22:47:07 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

any suggestions? You're welcome to request any additional information or testing.

Perhaps you should try running the installer with linux32 ;)

I'm using the same system, but with the 32bit version of Fedora 7 and it works great for me...
sneg
level0
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:34 am

Postby sneg » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:57 am

torig wrote:Not that I have more of a clue than anyone else, but could your glibc package just be to outdated?
I notice that debian stable has glibc 2.3 while debian sid (unstable) is at 2.5.
However, the reason debian stable has 2.3 which seems fairly recent is because etch (debian 4.0, or "the new stable) was only released 8th April 2007.


glibc is not the case. unfortunately :(
Name : glibc
Version : 2.6
Release : 3
Build Date: Thu 24 May 2007 03:13:06 PM MSD

Jaus wrote:Perhaps you should try running the installer with linux32


looks like i have to :( crap :(

PS I tryed to launch untar'ed Defcon:
$ ./defcon
./lib/defcon.bin.x86: error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# ln -s /usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1 /lib/libGLU.so.1
$ ./defcon
./lib/defcon.bin.x86: error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

both 1.42-beta4 and 1.42-final

craaap :(
*downloading and burning an i686 spin*
User avatar
ewanm
level3
level3
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:15 pm
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby ewanm » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:11 am

install ia32-libs and reboot
Quirrel
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:07 am
Contact:

Postby Quirrel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:30 am

How do I get the installer to work?

Having a bad day and can't think.
User avatar
KingAl
level5
level5
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:42 am

Postby KingAl » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:44 am

Detail always helps. What have you tried, and what is/isn't happening? What distribution are you using? Is it openSUSE 10.2 again?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Quirrel
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:07 am
Contact:

Postby Quirrel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:39 pm

Still Open sUSE 10.2

No idea why I can't install it this time.

tried running it from the command line.
tried install command defconxxxx
not sure what I am doing wrong.


I'm not a power user, barely toilet trained.
ma9g0t
level0
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Postby ma9g0t » Sun May 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Hi! I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 x64 and I have the following trouble:

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Defcon for Linux - Version 1.42 FINAL..........................................................
The setup program seems to have failed on x86_64/unknown

Fatal error, no tech support email configured in this setup

Any ideas? Please consider I'm newbie to Linux
P.S. When I try to install Defcon from tar, I get following:

~/Defcon/defcon-v1.42/defcon: 46: ~/Defcon/defcon-v1.42/lib/defcon.bin.x86: Permission denied

What can be wrong with defcon.bin.x86? I set all the rights via "chmod" but it's no use
User avatar
trickser
level5
level5
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: The Senate ; GMT+1
Contact:

Postby trickser » Sun May 08, 2011 7:56 pm

Code: Select all

cd ~/Defcon/defcon-v1.42/lib
./defcon.bin.x86

Can you do this?

Return to “Linux Troubleshooting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest