Panic Key doesn't work?

Technical support for all issues relating to Defcon Linux

Moderator: Defcon moderators

poochiereds
level0

Panic Key doesn't work?

Postby poochiereds » Fri May 25, 2007 12:06 pm

I was testing out office mode (wanted to see what the tray icon looked like on linux), but it looks like the panic key doesn't work? Is this the case under Linux or do I have something misconfigured?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri May 25, 2007 12:15 pm

Sadly this is the case under Linux. :(
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Thunor
level1
level1

Re: Panic Key doesn't work?

Postby Thunor » Sat May 26, 2007 10:27 pm

poochiereds wrote:I was testing out office mode (wanted to see what the tray icon looked like on linux), but it looks like the panic key doesn't work? Is this the case under Linux or do I have something misconfigured?

There's no universal system tray on Linux. I'm using Xfce for example, somebody else will be running Fluxbox or WindowMaker.

DEFCON uses SDL so it could make use of these functions :-

SDL_WM_IconifyWindow — Iconify/Minimise the window
SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen — Toggles fullscreen mode

I've never used SDL_WM_IconifyWindow but if it works it'd minimise DEFCON to whatever represents a minimised application on your system.

poochiereds: I suggest you go to DEFCON Options->Screen->Windowed and select Yes. You can then minimise it via the title bar :)
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sat May 26, 2007 10:40 pm

Unfortunately you also can't change screen modes on-the-fly. You have to restart Defcon first. Sad but true :(

Thunor
level1
level1

Postby Thunor » Wed May 30, 2007 8:03 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Unfortunately you also can't change screen modes on-the-fly. You have to restart Defcon first. Sad but true :(

I found something interesting: running the demo fullscreen with Firefox not running in the background, if I attempt to connect to a demo restricted server a message box pops up. One of the buttons says "Buy Now" and if I click it several seconds later DEFCON minimises to my Xfce taskbar with Firefox loaded showing the Introversion store. When I click DEFCON on the taskbar it first opens to a window and then goes fullscreen again :)

I'd be interested to know if you can do this using KDE or GNOME [with the demo].
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Wed May 30, 2007 10:19 pm

Opening any link causes Defcon to minimise. As far as I can tell, though, it doesn't change from being fullscreen, i.e. when you bring it back up, it instantly returns to fullscreen.

Interestingly, the converse is true for the Windows version, which automatically switches to Windowed mode as soon as you click a link. Much more annoying. :(

Return to “Linux Troubleshooting”